I saw a Rhodes car today

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    All I can say about one of these beasts is Slow, Big,Wide and heavy. The guy riding this thing was
    spinning like crazy and zooming along at about a blistering 3 or 4 mph. These things IMO have their
    place in parades,retirement homes and private land use. I would not be caught dead riding this Quad
    on a city street or highway.

    Tags:

  2. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > All I can say about one of these beasts is Slow, Big,Wide and heavy. The guy riding this thing was
    > spinning like crazy and zooming along at about a blistering 3 or 4 mph. These things IMO have
    > their place in parades,retirement homes and private land use. I would not be caught dead riding
    > this Quad on a city street or highway.

    You can't judge a book by it's cover Bill. Several months ago on my local multiuse trail, I met an
    older couple who were riding a Quadracycle which in fact may be even heavier than the Rhoadescar! I
    was riding next to them (I was on a wedgie) and asked them questions about their four wheeler. They
    were easily pedaling more than 10 mph and looked like they could have gone faster if they had wanted
    to but the fact is they were out for a relaxing ride.

    No doubt these four wheeled bikes were not created to break HPV records and the manufacturers of
    them don't make such claims. However let's go back to Recumbent History 101 where we read how
    Charles Mochet built a four wheeled bike for his son George Mochet because Mrs. Mochet was concerned
    about the safety of conventional two wheelers. Soon after a period of aclimating to his new ride,
    young George Mochet soon found himself outpacing his buddies who were on their upright two wheelers.
    This surprising performance is what inspired Mr. Charles Mochet to then create the record breaking
    two wheeled "Velocar" and the rest as they say, "is history".

    There's no telling why that individual you saw was riding his Rhoadescar the way his was. Maybe he
    didn't know how to use his gears or he simply wanted to ride it that way...who knows?

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL