I saw the weirdest, tallest bike go by...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jeff Potter, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    We had dinner at a place in Chicago called the Handlebar a month ago. It was quite late at night.
    While we were chatting I suddenly saw the most amazing thing go down the street by the window. A guy
    was riding a bike that was a good ten feet tall. It was like a pyramid bike, about 15 feet long,
    made up of about 4 bike frames on the bottom, holding front and rear wheel, with 3 and then 2 frames
    atop it, and one atop all, with Sir Rider (wearing a helmet). He just glided by in the dark. I'd
    never seen such a thing. It was very cool. --JP outyourbackdoor.com

    Tags:

  2. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >We had dinner at a place in Chicago called the Handlebar a month ago. It was quite late at night.
    >While we were chatting I suddenly saw the most amazing thing go down the street by the window. A
    >guy was riding a bike that was a good ten feet tall. It was like a pyramid bike, about 15 feet
    >long, made up of about 4 bike frames on the bottom, holding front and rear wheel, with 3 and then 2
    >frames atop it, and one atop all, with Sir Rider (wearing a helmet). He just glided by in the dark.
    >I'd never seen such a thing. It was very cool. --JP outyourbackdoor.com

    anything like this? http://www.scul.org/SCUL/Fleet/Armada/Chopzilla.html check out their fleet at
    http://www.scul.org/SCUL/SCUL.html They seem to be exploring the limits of the rideable. It's hard
    to believe some of these have done centuries.

    --
    mac the naïf

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Alex Colvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >We had dinner at a place in Chicago called the Handlebar a month ago. It was quite late at night.
    > >While we were chatting I suddenly saw the most amazing thing go down the street by the window. A
    > >guy was riding a bike that was a good ten feet tall. It was like a pyramid bike, about 15 feet
    > >long, made up of about 4 bike frames on the bottom, holding front and rear wheel, with 3 and then
    > >2 frames atop it, and one atop all, with Sir Rider (wearing a helmet). He just glided by in the
    > >dark. I'd never seen such a thing. It was very cool. --JP outyourbackdoor.com
    >
    > anything like this? http://www.scul.org/SCUL/Fleet/Armada/Chopzilla.html check out their fleet at
    > http://www.scul.org/SCUL/SCUL.html They seem to be exploring the limits of the rideable. It's hard
    > to believe some of these have done centuries.

    A bunch of my friends build weird bikes and ride them in the Hollywood Doo-Dah parade every year.
    I'll try to scrounge up some pictures.

    My favorites are some really tall bikes ridden by a couple of stilt performers. They're like
    normal bikes, but scaled up -- around 10' tall, with enormous wheels. I sure wouldn't want to fall
    off one of those!

    Matt O.

  4. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    27 Oct 2003 07:03:32 -0800,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jeff Potter) wrote:

    >He just glided by in the dark. I'd never seen such a thing. It was very cool.

    Saturday, the Public Dreams Society held their Parade of Lost Souls. The chopper and art bike people
    performed some Flaming Bikes of Death stunts and then torched an effigy of a Hummer.

    Baskets of chicken wire are stuffed with wadded-up balls of newsprint and mounted on outriggers and
    rear racks of the frankenbike creations. Then kerosene soaked wicks are woven through spokes and the
    whole shebang is lit up and ridden.

    Six bikes on fire, riding around on a darkened sports field, looks pretty cool too. Then skeletons
    on choppers with flaming wheels and flaming spears hunted, killed and cooked an SUV, much to the
    delight of many present.
    --
    zk

  5. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    These wild party rides are well and good but, darn, that one I saw just zipped by the window at
    night on a city street. That was the biggest shock yet!

    It was like he was commuting. I have no idea how he'd stop at a light or get up and down. I suppose
    you'd put your hand on a telephone pole. Then get up and down by pegs. Yeehaw! But to see one just
    out in the cityscape. That was boss.

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****

  6. [email protected] (Jeff Potter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > We had dinner at a place in Chicago called the Handlebar a month ago. It was quite late at night.
    > While we were chatting I suddenly saw the most amazing thing go down the street by the window. A
    > guy was riding a bike that was a good ten feet tall. It was like a pyramid bike, about 15 feet
    > long, made up of about 4 bike frames on the bottom, holding front and rear wheel, with 3 and then
    > 2 frames atop it, and one atop all, with Sir Rider (wearing a helmet). He just glided by in the
    > dark. I'd never seen such a thing. It was very cool. --JP outyourbackdoor.com

    Check out http://www.chicagofreakbike.org/. The bike you saw was probably made by the Rat Patrol, a
    Chicago group who makes crazy ass bikes.

    Chris

  7. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

    >Saturday, the Public Dreams Society held their Parade of Lost Souls. The chopper and art bike
    >people performed some Flaming Bikes of Death stunts and then torched an effigy of a Hummer.

    >Baskets of chicken wire are stuffed with wadded-up balls of newsprint and mounted on outriggers and
    >rear racks of the frankenbike creations. Then kerosene soaked wicks are woven through spokes and
    >the whole shebang is lit up and ridden.

    >Six bikes on fire, riding around on a darkened sports field, looks pretty cool too. Then skeletons
    >on choppers with flaming wheels and flaming spears hunted, killed and cooked an SUV, much to the
    >delight of many present.
    >--
    >zk

    Any Video? Please?

    --
    mac the naïf

  8. Flashsteve

    Flashsteve Guest

    It's funny....there is at least one guy in Eugene, Oregon who rides one of these crazy bikes. He has
    welded several (it's hard to tell how many) frames together to create about an 8' tall contraption.
    How (or why) he does it, I don't know, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

    The amazing thing is...last year, someone actually stole his bike. What were they thinking?

    Steve Scarich

  9. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
  10. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:16:23 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Six bikes on fire, riding around on a darkened sports field, looks pretty cool too. Then skeletons
    >on choppers with flaming wheels and flaming spears hunted, killed and cooked an SUV, much to the
    >delight of many present.

    This is very scary. Next thing you know, they'll start hunting witches...

    "And what do we burn apart from witches?" "MORE WITCHES!!!"
    --
    Rick "Uhh...Very small rocks?" Onanian

  11. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:09:57 -0500,
    <[email protected]>, Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It was like he was commuting. I have no idea how he'd stop at a light or get up and down. I suppose
    >you'd put your hand on a telephone pole. Then get up and down by pegs. Yeehaw! But to see one just
    >out in the cityscape. That was boss.

    Locally, Russel and Richard for sure are regularly riding their tall bikes on the street. Granted
    they're not 10 feet up, but, yeah, they lean on lamposts, SUV tops, or a riding partner.

    The flaming choppers demonstration was the fringe part of a larger public festival.
    http://www.publicdreams.org/parade.htm

    I've done dino solo just for the fun of it. Livens up folks.
    --
    zk

  12. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:31:24 +0000 (UTC), <[email protected]>, Alex Colvin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any Video? Please?

    No links mentioned on the mailing list yet but I know there were spectators with cameras and Marian
    or Khan had theirs running.
    --
    zk

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > We had dinner at a place in Chicago called the Handlebar a month ago. It was quite late at night.
    > While we were chatting I suddenly saw the most amazing thing go down the street by the window. A
    > guy was riding a bike that was a good ten feet tall. It was like a pyramid bike, about 15 feet
    > long, made up of about 4 bike frames on the bottom, holding front and rear wheel, with 3 and then
    > 2 frames atop it, and one atop all, with Sir Rider (wearing a helmet). He just glided by in the
    > dark. I'd never seen such a thing. It was very cool. --JP outyourbackdoor.com

    Check this one out, in Mexico:

    http://www.world-of-bicycles.com/american/photo5.htm

    ...from one of my favorite bicycling websites. Browse around a little, while you're there.

    Matt O.

  14. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

  15. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Alex Colvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >We had dinner at a place in Chicago called the Handlebar a month ago. It was quite late at night.
    > >While we were chatting I suddenly saw the most amazing thing go down the street by the window. A
    > >guy was riding a bike that was a good ten feet tall. It was like a pyramid bike, about 15 feet
    > >long, made up of about 4 bike frames on the bottom, holding front and rear wheel, with 3 and then
    > >2 frames atop it, and one atop all, with Sir Rider (wearing a helmet). He just glided by in the
    > >dark. I'd never seen such a thing. It was very cool. --JP outyourbackdoor.com
    >
    > anything like this? http://www.scul.org/SCUL/Fleet/Armada/Chopzilla.html

    I didn't see anything quite like Jeff described in the SCUL fleet; but I did find this:

    http://www.scul.org/SCUL/Fleet/Armada/Scrub.html

    Very interesting. How the heck does this thing work?

    The SCUL gang look like they're having a blast. It's a circus that kids of every age want to run
    away and join. There's something about crazy choppers with ape-hangers and banana seats that evokes
    images of my childhood. Chicks with welding torches, hacking together impossible bikes - that's what
    I'm talkin' about.

    -=B=-

  16. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > A bunch of my friends build weird bikes and ride them in the Hollywood Doo-Dah parade every year.
    > I'll try to scrounge up some pictures.

    Bite your tongue, it's the PASADENA Doo-Dah parade!

    Are you a local boy?

    --
    Cheers, Bev ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The Marketing
    Professional's Motto: "We don't screw the customers. All we're doing is holding them down while the

  17. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "The Real Bev" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Matt O'Toole wrote:
    >
    > > A bunch of my friends build weird bikes and ride them in the Hollywood
    Doo-Dah
    > > parade every year. I'll try to scrounge up some pictures.
    >
    > Bite your tongue, it's the PASADENA Doo-Dah parade!

    Hey, at least I sign my own name. I mis-wrote. My friends are in Hollywood, the parade is indeed
    in Pasadena.

    > Are you a local boy?

    My last address was in Eagle Rock. You can probably look it up in last year's phone book. Are you a
    real person?

    Matt O.

  18. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    > My last address was in Eagle Rock. You can probably look it up in last
    year's
    > phone book. Are you a real person?

    Wow! Eagle Rock. I grew up there and graduated from Eagle Rock High in '72. Is the Eagle Theater
    still there?

    Dave

  19. Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

    : My favorites are some really tall bikes ridden by a couple of stilt performers. They're like
    : normal bikes, but scaled up -- around 10' tall, with enormous wheels. I sure wouldn't want to fall
    : off one of those!

    Why not make a recumbent trike version of it? ;)