i say no way

leanman

Sep 20, 2009
"Cancellara was very strong. Personally I hope to be much stronger next week," Gilbert said to Cyclingnews.

how is this possible? what kinda workouts is he going to do to get much stronger in 7 days?? doing 1 or 2 races between now and then is going to make him much stronger for flanders?

Originally Posted by leanman .

"Cancellara was very strong. Personally I hope to be much stronger next week," Gilbert said to Cyclingnews.

how is this possible? what kinda workouts is he going to do to get much stronger in 7 days?? doing 1 or 2 races between now and then is going to make him much stronger for flanders?
Cortizone?

The day to day performance can be reasonably wide, also remember Gilbert isn't planning on riding out the front TT'ing solo like Cancellara, all he needs to be able to do is hold the wheel during the attacks, and the difference between succeeding and failing on that is tiny. It can even be nothing to do with fitness and a lot to do with luck (is he 4th wheel or 6th wheel when the attack goes, does the guy in front react quickly etc.)

So it's not at all unreasonable that he's "stronger" next week, but it's not really about fitness, and he knows that - but it makes for lousy copy.