I say ouch!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Pretzel, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Pretzel

Pretzel New Member

Well... after about a month of regular riding, I believe I have developed saddle sores. I don't know what causes them, how to ease the pain. or how to prevent them in the future. All I do know is that I hate them.

Help! I would hate to have a fun hobby associated with my pain.

Tags:

2. Lesq

Lesq New Member

Difficult to pinpoint cause. Are they pressure sores or sores caused by chaffing. I would suspect chaffing, if so what are you wearing. Consider lycra with pad and/or anti-chaff cream.

3. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

First off, use clean bibs or shorts. Saddle sores are usually caused by chafing that causes small little wounds that become a big problem if they become infected. Second, it's best if you have several different kinds of bibs. Different chamois will rub you in different ways, so being able to cycle through different bibs will prevent one area from being chafed until it becomes a problem. Third, you might try using some sort of chamois creme to reduce chafing.

4. Freehub

Freehub New Member

Help! I would hate to have a fun hobby associated with my pain.[/QUOTE]
    Cycling is a painful sport. Someone once said that "it never gets easier. You only go faster".
    One thing to check is if your cycling shorts are the right size. They need to be pretty tight. I've never tried it but chamois cream is an option.:(

5. Pretzel

Pretzel New Member

Would one procure this cream at a drug store? What is it called? Do I apply it before a ride? I'm new at this..

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

It is called chamios cream but there are several different brands. Consult with your LBS as to where to procure it in your area. LBS's often carry it. Yes, you apply it before you ride. Just don't get it on your sores, it burns like Hades.:eek:

7. snaps10

snaps10 New Member

Here's what you wanted to know, and probably a little more about the cheap way to alleviate. By the way, I still use the Boudreaux's and enjoy the results.
    http://cyclingforums.com/t-362945-15-1.html

Keep yourselves clean while riding. I experienced a few months of MRSA (Staph) that kept me off of my bike, and away from races this season.