I seem to have plateaued, what now.

swtrboy

Jun 25, 2004
I have always enjoyed riding and last year I bought my first road bike after some expensive moutain bikes, great fun, everyone is the rabbit.

The probelm is I can't seem to get any faster. My ride five times a week is twenty four miles at 21 mph average, it is a pretty flat ride about 700 feet of vertical gain according to my gps. Three days a week I ride seven miles to the gym in a sprint to do core and upper body. On certain days I can gut it out an pull a 23 but rarely.

As I train by feel, how much it hurts, I don't know how honest my training is. My computer does not do cadence, it would seem like the right thing to measure but in talking to an ex pro racer heart rate is the way to go. What is right, how do I become faster.

Dude, if you're riding 24 miles of trails at 21 MPH average, you should think of turning pro. They can help you get better.

Damn that's fast! With 700 feet of climbing thrown in?!? What NORBA class are you (you didn't specify where you are, US)? Surely expert?

Originally posted by Powerful Pete
Isn't he talking about riding a road bike?

OP, please clarify! :)

No this is about my road bike (cannondale multisport 700) and I. How do I become faster there. I ride the moutain bikes for fun. I ride the road bike for the pain and the rush. I am by no means fast on the road.

Originally posted by swtrboy
No this is about my road bike (cannondale multisport 700) and I. How do I become faster there. I ride the moutain bikes for fun. I ride the road bike for the pain and the rush. I am by no means fast on the road.

Your pace is good especially if the speeds you're quoting are while you're riding alone. To improve from there you'll probably want to start following a proven training program (there are a ton of books available on the subject). Programs for improving in any endurance sport are always similar. One day a week you will have to go for a long slower bout and once or maybe twice a week you'll have to do some regular interval training. The rest is wherever you are in the program.

Significant improvement over where you are now will require a considerable amount of dedication and time. If your current training is simply trying to do your regular route faster and faster each time, there will be a point where you simply plateau.

Cheers.