i still caint make up my mind. help me choose the right bike.

luism

Sep 9, 2012
I don't do much biking. this will be my first one. so I always getting from wife who bikes to the park and such why u buying such expensive bike.

well I really like the giant xtc. I like the 27.5" wheel base. im 5' 1''. the red 2014 is about 1500msp right now. I thinking maybe I try the talon. dealer said it going to have a weaker frame and weight is more. but for me I just looking decent weight and components. so please advice should I be spending the cash on the more expensive one. worth the 500+ more?

edit: most my riding will be like sidewalks, trails, parks. also im 210lbs

thanks Samantha, was looking more on giants particular product line between the talon and the xtc. been reading the talon people experiencing noisy chain switching and few other issues.

The XTC or any type of mountain bike is not the ideal choice for sidewalk and park riding.

Consider something like the Trek FX, DS, or Crossrip.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
The XTC or any type of mountain bike is not the ideal choice for sidewalk and park riding.

Consider something like the Trek FX, DS, or Crossrip.
i was actually looking at them but figured I wanted front suspension. will be doing trails that are sandy as well

You don't need front suspension unless you're bombing over large rocks/roots at high speed. I have an 8.4DS and I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to run the fork in the unlocked position and I ride trails on it all the time. You can ride sand and rough gravel on a Crossrip all day, plus it'll be far faster and more comfortable for longer rides arounds town.

If you prefer the Giant brand, the AnyRoad bikes are perfect for what you're looking to do. It'll be fast on pavement, comfortable, much lighter than the mountain bike, and the gearing is excellent for going anywhere.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
You don't need front suspension unless you're bombing over large rocks/roots at high speed. I have an 8.4DS and I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to run the fork in the unlocked position and I ride trails on it all the time. You can ride sand and rough gravel on a Crossrip all day, plus it'll be far faster and more comfortable for longer rides arounds town.

If you prefer the Giant brand, the AnyRoad bikes are perfect for what you're looking to do. It'll be fast on pavement, comfortable, much lighter than the mountain bike, and the gearing is excellent for going anywhere.
ayeyo. i was out today and i happen to see a bike tide up. looked and saw it was a giant roam. so got me thinking that maybe my direction is not a true mtb but maybe a compromise to the roam family. i think its a inbetween bike right? thinking roam XR1. should have everything i need.

also read that should not consider the roam go more with a talon or revel? any feedback?

My feedback would be that you go to several local bike shops (LBS) and tell them about how and where you plan to ride. Hopefully they will take the time to understand your needs and have a bike in your size for you to test ride. Ideally you'll be able to test ride a few bikes from different shops and decide which one feels right for you.

I wouldn't worry about online reviews or comparing the various brands too closely based on specs. Buying a bike that feels "right", from an LBS that will give you good customer service is more important.

very true on that but unfortunately most bike shops here are like retail. they seem to allow u to sit on it but take it for a ride different story.

thinking to get a talon 1 2015 instead. think might be cheaper than xtc but still fit what I use it mostly for.

ok went to my lbs and I checked out the giants. well ended up trying a xtc (red) 2014 loved it. tried talon not so much weight arrggg, then I tried the roam. went from large xtc to med roam arg did not feel right. front suntour shocks gave down at least what I could tell 1/4" of its travel. so I think im back to the xtc or I atleast think so. seen a specialized carbon and feel in love but way over my cost. 2100+tax. I got quoted 1575. for the xtc 2015. so only issue I really have that did not get me pull the trigger was color hmm grey/silver. dammit. guess I have to live with the color cause this was a xtc 1. the xtc 0 is perfect color blue but 2200. and Its out my budget,

ok pulling trigger on the 2015 xtc 2 that comes in silver for 1575. guys think that's good priced for the bike with taxes?

been end season dam cold has hit here Toronto, Ontario, Canada. but time been out I have been enjoying it :) caint wait until next season.

I agree with your wife! If you're not riding much and only riding around a park and on sidewalks why get such an expensive bike? Technically sidewalk riding is only legal for kids not adults, not to mention it's more dangerous, and there is no need for a suspension bike for the kind of riding you'll be doing. A nice cross bike would serve you well because it can do both road and trails with no problems. If you live in America Bikes Direct has a huge assortment of bikes you can get for less than $1000, see: http://bikesdirect.com/#

Originally Posted by Froze
I agree with your wife! If you're not riding much and only riding around a park and on sidewalks why get such an expensive bike? Technically sidewalk riding is only legal for kids not adults, not to mention it's more dangerous, and there is no need for a suspension bike for the kind of riding you'll be doing. A nice cross bike would serve you well because it can do both road and trails with no problems. If you live in America Bikes Direct has a huge assortment of bikes you can get for less than $1000, see: http://bikesdirect.com/#
I ended up with the giant xtc 1 2015. got better deal than the 2014. ive been riding it few km now, been happy, now thinking of mods :)