I take a day off to go cycling and...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by rhnb, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. rhnb

    rhnb Guest

    We've had glorious weather up here in the Lakes for the past couple of weeks
    or more. It's been coolish, but particularly this week there's been a
    bright blue sky, bright sunshine and you could see for miles. So, we booked
    a day off work - Friday sounded good - makes it a long weekend. Had a good
    ride pencilled in, up around Grasmere, St Johns in the Vale, Castlerigg
    Stone Circle, Keswick then back home. Reckoned it would be about 100 miles,
    oh, and we'd take the camera to catch some of those spectacular views.

    The day started well. Lovely crisp morning - and went downhill from there.
    Got to Under Loughrigg, Ambleside and puctured. Started snowing while
    fixing the puncture and in no time at all, it was a blizzard. Thought we'd
    better head back and ended up with a fun packed 52 mile ride instead. Great
    fun if a little scary at times.

    There's a few pics here...
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/snow.htm

    Cheeers... Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
    Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
    Cycling Before Lycra

    Tags:

  2. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "rhnb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > There's a few pics here...
    > http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/snow.htm

    That's a pretty bad puncture the tandem's got - it's managed to deflate the
    bike sufficiently far that it's lost almost the entire stoker section :)

    Not far from you in the Dales. A big lump of snow about midday, 4pm it was
    sunny and lovely again. Nearly all the roads I was using were entirely
    clear. Saw a couple of bent cars on the A682 though - I do wonder if they
    thought 'Oh, there's some white stuff around. What's that? Can't possibly
    affect grip or anything like that so I'll drive as fast as normal'.

    cheers,
    clive

  3. rhnb

    rhnb Guest

    While we were fixing the puncture a couple out walking came past and we
    jokingly asked if they had a van they could fit 2 bikes and a tandem in.
    Turned out they have a 4 wheel drive something or other that they left in
    the garage that morning for it's annual service or something and they gave
    them a courtesy car - a Nissan Micra !

    Luckily they saw the funny side when my mate said 'I bet your gutted aren't
    you? The one day in about the last 10 years when you could have actually
    done with a 4 wheel drive thing and all you've got's a Nissan Micra'

    Cheeers... Allan.

    Clive George wrote:
    > "rhnb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> There's a few pics here...
    >> http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/snow.htm

    > That's a pretty bad puncture the tandem's got - it's managed to
    > deflate the bike sufficiently far that it's lost almost the entire
    > stoker section :)
    > Not far from you in the Dales. A big lump of snow about midday, 4pm
    > it was sunny and lovely again. Nearly all the roads I was using were
    > entirely clear. Saw a couple of bent cars on the A682 though - I do
    > wonder if they thought 'Oh, there's some white stuff around. What's
    > that? Can't possibly affect grip or anything like that so I'll drive
    > as fast as normal'.
    > cheers,
    > clive

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, rhnb
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > The day started well. Lovely crisp morning - and went downhill from
    > there.
    > Got to Under Loughrigg, Ambleside and puctured. Started snowing while
    > fixing the puncture and in no time at all, it was a blizzard. Thought
    > we'd
    > better head back and ended up with a fun packed 52 mile ride instead.
    > Great fun if a little scary at times.
    >
    > There's a few pics here...
    > http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/snow.htm

    Who was it who was looking for photos of mending punctures in unpleasant
    conditions?

    Error 1109: There is no message for this error