I think I have a great idea for a new cycle product

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Theakson, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Theakson

    Theakson Guest

    As the subject line says I think I have an excellent idea for a new cycle product. I want to
    approach companies like Performance bikes to see if they are interested in production and
    distribution, should the product be suitable. Anyone got any experience in this?

    Tags:

  2. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "theakson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As the subject line says I think I have an excellent idea for a new cycle product. I want to
    > approach companies like Performance bikes to see if
    they
    > are interested in production and distribution, should the product be suitable. Anyone got any
    > experience in this?

    While I have little knowledge of this sort of thing, I suggest that you patent it before you show it
    to anyone if it really is that good.
    --
    Westie

  3. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "theakson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > As the subject line says I think I have an excellent idea for a new
    cycle
    > > product. I want to approach companies like Performance bikes to see if
    > they
    > > are interested in production and distribution, should the product be suitable. Anyone got any
    > > experience in this?
    > >

    > While I have little knowledge of this sort of thing, I suggest that you patent it before you show
    > it to anyone if it really is that good.
    > --
    > Westie

    You have to admit that his approach is much better than that monkey a few months ago who was
    berating everyone because nobody was interested in what he was trying to sell to some of the
    "popular" bike companies. I'll have to hit google to dig that scourge up again.

    Have you built up the prototype yet, or looked into what it would take to make up the prototype? I
    have submitted ideas to construction trades before by emailing them and getting in contact with the
    research and development dept. They have always wanted me to supply either drawings or a prototype.

    Lance

  4. theakson wrote:
    > As the subject line says I think I have an excellent idea for a new cycle product. I want to
    > approach companies like Performance bikes to see if they are interested in production and
    > distribution, should the product be suitable. Anyone got any experience in this?

    Friend of mine is in contact with Bianchi and Cannondale about and rear suspension thing that is
    looking very interesting, and he also done other stuff in different area's (Think plastic gizmo
    found on TV-shop)

    File for a patent beforehand, most companies will want that so they are sure there will be no legal
    problems. Say they allready have invented something similar or will perhaphs in the future, it
    covers both your own and their asses.

    You don't have to actually obtain a patent ($$$) but just the application is enough to protect you
    and in only cost a few $$.

    Good luck

    Bruno

  5. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "L Hays" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "theakson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > As the subject line says I think I have an excellent idea for a new
    > cycle
    > > > product. I want to approach companies like Performance bikes to see if
    > > they
    > > > are interested in production and distribution, should the product be suitable. Anyone got any
    > > > experience in this?
    > > >

    > > While I have little knowledge of this sort of thing, I suggest that you patent it before you
    > > show it to anyone if it really is that good.
    > > --
    > > Westie
    > >

    > You have to admit that his approach is much better than that monkey a few months ago who was
    > berating everyone because nobody was interested in what he was trying to sell to some of the
    > "popular" bike companies. I'll
    have
    > to hit google to dig that scourge up again.

    That guy just didn't get it, did he?
    --
    Westie

    > Have you built up the prototype yet, or looked into what it would take to make up the prototype? I
    > have submitted ideas to construction trades
    before
    > by emailing them and getting in contact with the research and development dept. They have always
    > wanted me to supply either drawings or a
    prototype.

    > Lance

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "theakson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > As the subject line says I think I have an excellent idea for a new
    cycle
    > > product. I want to approach companies like Performance bikes to see if
    > they
    > > are interested in production and distribution, should the product be suitable. Anyone got any
    > > experience in this?
    > >

    > While I have little knowledge of this sort of thing, I suggest that you patent it before you show
    > it to anyone if it really is that good.
    > --
    > Westie

    First you have to research to even see if it's patentable ( University business depts may do
    this for free_

    Patents and patent lawyers are expensive, and if someone steals your idea anyway it's up to YOU to
    prosecute them.

    The smart way to do this is to develop a product beyond prototype to a marketable sample, hire a rep
    to represent your line, develop a marketing package that looks professional, have the rep get
    orders, have your production sources all figured out ahead of time so that when you have orders you
    can then produce according to the order basis.

    If you were doing a sewn product I'd refer you to the book, "The Entrepeneur's Guide to Sewn Product
    Manufactuting" by K. Fasanella (www.southstarsupply.com) I'm sure there must be an equivialant for
    other types of manufacturing.

    Penny

  7. Theakson

    Theakson Guest

    thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my question and provide EXCELLENT advice.

    Theakson