I think i need help..

coowoowoo

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
My very first pair of knicks are now threadbare both outwards and upwards from the chamois (rear view). I have pretended for a while now that i dont notice and i can only imagine what they look like for anyone cycling behind me. I imagine very much like other cyclists buttcracks that i have seen in the past.

My problem is that they are like an old pair of slippers everytime i put them on and they have just celebrated their 6th bday. I know i should throw them out so i can justify spending $100 on new shiny new ones but everytime i wash them and hang them up, i just cant do it. I have another 4 pairs to wear but i still cant throw them out.

Has anyone else become as sentimental about their first knicks as me. And what is the longest time someone has gotten out of one pair of knicks.

coowoowoo said:
My very first pair of knicks are now threadbare both outwards and upwards from the chamois (rear view). I have pretended for a while now that i dont notice and i can only imagine what they look like for anyone cycling behind me. I imagine very much like other cyclists buttcracks that i have seen in the past.

My problem is that they are like an old pair of slippers everytime i put them on and they have just celebrated their 6th bday. I know i should throw them out so i can justify spending $100 on new shiny new ones but everytime i wash them and hang them up, i just cant do it. I have another 4 pairs to wear but i still cant throw them out.

Has anyone else become as sentimental about their first knicks as me. And what is the longest time someone has gotten out of one pair of knicks.
My first pair are about 3 years old and I still use them. The chamois is is now like a compacted piece of cardboard, but I still use them to commute to work...saving my better knicks for longer rides. I know you don't want to spend the money on better knicks...but believe me, it's worth it.

"coowoowoo" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> My very first pair of knicks are now threadbare both outwards and
> upwards from the chamois (rear view). I have pretended for a while now
> that i dont notice and i can only imagine what they look like for
> anyone cycling behind me. I imagine very much like other cyclists
> buttcracks that i have seen in the past.
>
> My problem is that they are like an old pair of slippers everytime i
> put them on and they have just celebrated their 6th bday. I know i
> should throw them out so i can justify spending $100 on new shiny new
> ones but everytime i wash them and hang them up, i just cant do it. I
> have another 4 pairs to wear but i still cant throw them out.
>
> Has anyone else become as sentimental about their first knicks as me.
> And what is the longest time someone has gotten out of one pair of
> knicks.

Mate, seems like you do have a problem, and clearly you are the sharing
type. Please inform me where you ride and I'll keep away! No offence but I
can't imagine your butt (unless you are a slinky female of course) being
much of an inspiration to me on a long grinder.

Considered ordering some gear online? I haven't done it myself but friends
swear by the savings. Fit isn't a problem for them either.

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)

coowoowoo wrote:
> My very first pair of knicks are now threadbare both outwards and
> upwards from the chamois (rear view). I have pretended for a while now
> that i dont notice and i can only imagine what they look like for
> anyone cycling behind me. I imagine very much like other cyclists
> buttcracks that i have seen in the past.
>
> My problem is that they are like an old pair of slippers everytime i
> put them on and they have just celebrated their 6th bday. I know i
> should throw them out so i can justify spending $100 on new shiny new
> ones but everytime i wash them and hang them up, i just cant do it. I
> have another 4 pairs to wear but i still cant throw them out.

6 *years* out of a pair of knicks? And you can still wear them?!

Mate, seems like you do have a problem, and clearly you are the sharing
type. Please inform me where you ride and I'll keep away! No offence but I
can't imagine your butt (unless you are a slinky female of course) being
much of an inspiration to me on a long grinder.

Considered ordering some gear online? I haven't done it myself but friends
swear by the savings. Fit isn't a problem for them either.

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)[/QUOTE]

Dave,
I am female and sadly most of the other threadbare cyclists spotted by me were men. Dont get me wrong here, they are not completely see through but they are well on their way. I know many places to buy new ones and cost is not the issue. Its the sentimentality and the comfort of the old favorites that has got me.

coowoowoo said:
Dave,
I am female and sadly most of the other threadbare cyclists spotted by me were men. Dont get me wrong here, they are not completely see through but they are well on their way. I know many places to buy new ones and cost is not the issue. Its the sentimentality and the comfort of the old favorites that has got me.

easy fixed. buy some new ones fer ya butt, and wear the ol' ones on your head :D:D:D

flyingdutch said:
easy fixed. buy some new ones fer ya butt, and wear the ol' ones on your head :D:D:D

Dutch..i will not be able to articulate here the laughter that came from your post. The visual i have of myself riding along with them on my head with their little leg sockets hanging either side is priceless. Although you have given me an idea.. maybe when they finally disintegrate i can wear them on my head and the chamois could act as a head warmer.

Still chuckling to myself here. :D

coowoowoo said:
My very first pair of knicks are now threadbare both outwards and upwards from the chamois (rear view). I have pretended for a while now that i dont notice and i can only imagine what they look like for anyone cycling behind me. I imagine very much like other cyclists buttcracks that i have seen in the past.

My problem is that they are like an old pair of slippers everytime i put them on and they have just celebrated their 6th bday. I know i should throw them out so i can justify spending $100 on new shiny new ones but everytime i wash them and hang them up, i just cant do it. I have another 4 pairs to wear but i still cant throw them out.

Has anyone else become as sentimental about their first knicks as me. And what is the longest time someone has gotten out of one pair of knicks.
I've still got a pair from 1984. With real chamois, ie animal skin. (I still have a pot of the chamois creme that you have to use to keep the chamois soft). They are thin in a few places but not threadbare. However, they are splitting - the natural cotton used to stitch the seams has rotted in some places. I haven't worn them in anger since about 1989 but they still live in the drawer with the other knicks. Very, very, very occasionally they get a turn on the bike in an emergency if all other knicks are in the wash or haven't dried out after a long spell of rain etc.

And I've still got the long sleeved wool jersey in Italian flag colours that I bought at the same time (when I was a skinny bugger). I can't even pull it on but it hangs up with my other jerseys still.

SteveA

Coowoowoo, if no one has 'told you', it's either not a problem or
they're way more polite than me. I can't abide a hairy butt crack in
front of me! New knicks are less trauma than the back-crack-sack-wax,
I'm sure.

Donga

Donga said:
Coowoowoo, if no one has 'told you', it's either not a problem or
they're way more polite than me. I can't abide a hairy butt crack in
front of me! New knicks are less trauma than the back-crack-sack-wax,
I'm sure.

Donga

Or a Brazilian for us Ladies. I recall having polite words with FD on a Certain Bike Ride about threadbare knickers. Not a good look fer either gender. Get a nu pair of knicks. :eek:

"coowoowoo" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Mate, seems like you do have a problem, and clearly you are the sharing
> type. Please inform me where you ride and I'll keep away! No offence
> but I
> can't imagine your butt (unless you are a slinky female of course)
> being
> much of an inspiration to me on a long grinder.
>
> Considered ordering some gear online? I haven't done it myself but
> friends
> swear by the savings. Fit isn't a problem for them either.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave E (Sydney)
>

> Dave,
> I am female and sadly most of the other threadbare cyclists spotted by me
> were men. Dont get me wrong here, they are not completely see through but
> they are well on their way. I know many places to buy new ones and cost
> is not the issue. Its the sentimentality and the comfort of the old
> favorites that has got me.

Um... err... well, perhaps I'll return to my original response regarding the
whereabouts of your usual riding locale!

Actually, I'm not a perv (honest) but I'm sure your threadbare bottom has
inspired many on your pursuits. I'm sure you'll get at least another 4 yrs
out of them. ;-)

It's a shame you aren't interested in the threadbare male varieties - I was
just looking for my sandpaper to add some 'ageing' to my nicks! Eeek.

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)
PS. I'm looking around for nicks myself and will let you know if I find any
great deals K? DE

cfsmtb said:
<snip> I recall having polite words with FD on a Certain Bike Ride about threadbare knickers. Not a good look fer either gender. Get a nu pair of knicks. :eek:

He hasn't listened, threadbare nicks were seen on the last BR.

I suggested a temporary tattoo to distract competitors during crit racing.

Bikesoiler said:
He hasn't listened, threadbare nicks were seen on the last BR.

I suggested a temporary tattoo to distract competitors during crit racing.

Remember 'My Beautiful Laundrette'? How about a 'W" on each butt cheek?

:D :D :D :D

SteveA said:
I've still got a pair from 1984. With real chamois, ie animal skin. (I still have a pot of the chamois creme that you have to use to keep the chamois soft). They are thin in a few places but not threadbare. However, they are splitting - the natural cotton used to stitch the seams has rotted in some places. I haven't worn them in anger since about 1989 but they still live in the drawer with the other knicks.

SteveA

1984 !!!!! we have a winner.. blimey.. i thought mine were old. Good to see that i am not the only one who hangs on to them. My stitching also died ages ago but i have sewn them up. I do wear my other ones all the time and they are as equally comfy but i always reach for my favorite pair first. They are also getting baggier as the lycra goes.. I still dont think i can piff them. I love them to much..

Pleeeeease get some new ones! I've come close to hurling my guts up at the
sight of a threadbare ar$e in the past. Not a good look from behind.
Alternatively, paint your bum black.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

coowoowoo said:
My very first pair of knicks are now threadbare both outwards and upwards from the chamois (rear view). I have pretended for a while now that i dont notice and i can only imagine what they look like for anyone cycling behind me. I imagine very much like other cyclists buttcracks that i have seen in the past.

My problem is that they are like an old pair of slippers everytime i put them on and they have just celebrated their 6th bday.
You wear them on your feet???

Really, you're right. *No* butt looks good in threadbare knicks. I mean, it's hard enough maintaining credibility in lycra as it is :D

Keep them for Winter and wear them out of sight under longs...

ali

coowoowoo wrote:
> Mate, seems like you do have a problem, and clearly you are the sharing
> type. Please inform me where you ride and I'll keep away! No offence
> but I
> can't imagine your butt (unless you are a slinky female of course)
> being
> much of an inspiration to me on a long grinder.
>
> Considered ordering some gear online? I haven't done it myself but
> friends
> swear by the savings. Fit isn't a problem for them either.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave E (Sydney)
>

> Dave,
> I am female and sadly most of the other threadbare cyclists spotted by me
> were men. Dont get me wrong here, they are not completely see through but
> they are well on their way.

Where did you say you were riding? :)

coowoowoo wrote:
> Mate, seems like you do have a problem, and clearly you are the sharing
> type. Please inform me where you ride and I'll keep away! No offence
> but I
> can't imagine your butt (unless you are a slinky female of course)
> being
> much of an inspiration to me on a long grinder.
>
> Considered ordering some gear online? I haven't done it myself but
> friends
> swear by the savings. Fit isn't a problem for them either.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave E (Sydney)
>

> Dave,
> I am female and sadly most of the other threadbare cyclists spotted by me
> were men. Dont get me wrong here, they are not completely see through but
> they are well on their way. I know many places to buy new ones and cost
> is not the issue. Its the sentimentality and the comfort of the old
> favorites that has got me.

So get another pair.. cos you have too

Keep these.. get a pair of tights with no shammy and save em as your
shorts to wear over tights :)

Its simpler to be a bloke.

Donga wrote:
> Coowoowoo, if no one has 'told you', it's either not a problem or
> they're way more polite than me. I can't abide a hairy butt crack in
> front of me! New knicks are less trauma than the back-crack-sack-wax,
> I'm sure.
>
> Donga

She said she is a girl. In which case few are the guys who would
comment :)

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:35:45 +1100, Bikesoiler
<[email protected]> wrote:

>cfsmtb Wrote:
>> <snip> I recall having polite words with FD on a Certain Bike Ride about
>> threadbare knickers. Not a good look fer either gender. Get a nu pair of
>> knicks. :eek:

>He hasn't listened, threadbare nicks were seen on the last BR.
>
>I suggested a temporary tattoo to distract competitors during crit
>racing.

How appropriate for 'Bikesoiler' to get in on this thread :)