I think I should stop swimming.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Micheal Artindale, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to learn
    swimming related stuff I think that I should join the majority of this
    world's population and sit myself in front of a tv.

    After all, if you cannot do it as fast as someone else says, you should not
    do it.

    Unlees you can do a goal in a timely manner, I've learned, you should never
    do it, or work towards it, or, for that matter, you should not make goals.

    I have learned that reporting on how well you do, doesnt matter, unless it
    is world record breaking.

    I think I should cancel my Y membership. It doesnt matter how I am
    improving. As I have learned, it matters if you can do it as fast as someone
    says you do.

    I have learned that wearing goggles is a sign of weakness.

    I have learned alot.

    Dont make goals. Dont do anything if you cant do it as fast as the next
    person. Dont wear protection.

    So, what else is there?

    The couch is calling my name, and at least it knows how to spell it.

    Micheal

    Tags:

  2. After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to learn
[...]

  3. Martin Smith

    Martin Smith Guest

    Micheal Artindale wrote:

    > After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to learn
    > swimming related stuff I think that I should join the majority of this
    > world's population and sit myself in front of a tv.
    >
    > After all, if you cannot do it as fast as someone else says, you should not
    > do it.

    You're being like jtaylor now. The points you missed are that you should
    (a) do strength work in the gym, (b) set weekly workout goals that force
    you to swim faster for longer distances during your workouts and force
    you to maintain lower average times for workout sets, and (c) stop
    changing your goal every time it starts to get hard.

  4. Martin Smith wrote:
    ) stop
    > changing your goal every time it starts to get hard.

    Hey, what is wrong with this? I am going out of town at noon. I am
    supossed to go running right now, but I am lazy. I am considering
    staying at home and waste time.

    Andres

  5. Madelaine

    Madelaine Guest

    Micheal Artindale wrote:
    > After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to learn
    > swimming related stuff I think that I should join the majority of this
    > world's population and sit myself in front of a tv.
    >
    > After all, if you cannot do it as fast as someone else says, you should not
    > do it.
    >
    > Unlees you can do a goal in a timely manner, I've learned, you should never
    > do it, or work towards it, or, for that matter, you should not make goals.
    >
    > I have learned that reporting on how well you do, doesnt matter, unless it
    > is world record breaking.
    >
    > I think I should cancel my Y membership. It doesnt matter how I am
    > improving. As I have learned, it matters if you can do it as fast as someone
    > says you do.
    >
    > I have learned that wearing goggles is a sign of weakness.
    >
    > I have learned alot.
    >
    > Dont make goals. Dont do anything if you cant do it as fast as the next
    > person. Dont wear protection.
    >
    > So, what else is there?
    >
    > The couch is calling my name, and at least it knows how to spell it.
    >
    > Micheal

    Instead of quitting swimming, quit being a drama queen. Your posts seem
    mostly like bids for attention, so Martin should be your best friend.

  6. G Macdonald

    G Macdonald Guest

    I was going to suggest the same thing. Less posting, more swimming.

  7. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    G Macdonald wrote:
    > I was going to suggest the same thing. Less posting, more swimming.

    Micheal´s post is very insightful. They point to psychological
    barriers that most people have to break in order to go swimming.

    If one can´t swim as fast as the guy in other lane, why bother at all?

    If my coach is overtraining me, what should I do?

    etc.

    Even this post being bids for attention, it is interesting!

  8. O'Hush

    O'Hush Guest

    Micheal Artindale wrote:
    > After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to learn
    > swimming related stuff I think that I should join the majority of this
    > world's population and sit myself in front of a tv.
    >
    > After all, if you cannot do it as fast as someone else says, you should not
    > do it.
    >
    > Unlees you can do a goal in a timely manner, I've learned, you should never
    > do it, or work towards it, or, for that matter, you should not make goals.
    >
    > I have learned that reporting on how well you do, doesnt matter, unless it
    > is world record breaking.
    >
    > I think I should cancel my Y membership. It doesnt matter how I am
    > improving. As I have learned, it matters if you can do it as fast as someone
    > says you do.
    >
    > I have learned that wearing goggles is a sign of weakness.
    >
    > I have learned alot.
    >
    > Dont make goals. Dont do anything if you cant do it as fast as the next
    > person. Dont wear protection.
    >
    > So, what else is there?
    >
    > The couch is calling my name, and at least it knows how to spell it.
    >
    > Micheal

    Oh now I'm sorry I encouraged you. If you behave like a pest, you
    shouldn't be surprised when people react negatively.

  9. Silver0l

    Silver0l Guest

    "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
    de news: [email protected]
    > After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to
    > learn
    > swimming related stuff I think that I should join the majority of this
    > world's population and sit myself in front of a tv.

    Micheal,

    Following exchanges on this NG, you should know now that you are incredibly
    slow. As a matter of fact, I have never seen a 25 years old guy training 5 x
    2 hours a week swimming so slowly (1.5 km/hr). I am 43, I can swim only 1
    hour a week, and I do 3 km in this hour, and that includes rest and
    kickboard drills. And I am very far from the best master swimmers. And I
    know triathletes who started swimming at 40 who could swim much faster than
    you after only 3 months.

    There can be only a few reasons to be so slow:
    - deeply flawed technique
    - physical inability (morbide obesity, heart dysfunction...)
    - lack of condition

    Given our exchanges, and assuming you don't hide us some physical inability,
    I think that you problem is lack of condition. I suspect that you are like
    these guys (or more often, girls) that you sometime see in the pool:
    swimming miles and miles very slowly, perfectly and successfully training to
    swim slowly.

    So listen to the advices here, or get a good coach, à la Steve "Diablo"!
    Martin may be a bit rude, but he is right: shut up, post less, and swim.
    Harder. Faster. Shorter. Follow Ruth training. You can probably easily cut
    your training time in 2 (doing for example 5 x 1 hour a week, or 2 x 2
    hour), but with much more speed and intensity, and you will start to make
    real progress.

    -- Olivier

  10. Silver0l wrote:

    I am 43, I can swim only 1
    > hour a week, and I do 3 km in this hour, and that includes rest and
    > kickboard drills.

    Actually, that is pretty good.

    Andres

  11. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to

    learn
    > swimming related stuff I think that I should join the majority of this
    > world's population and sit myself in front of a tv.

    Most of the 'attacks" come from one person.

    There's no way you should give any degree of credence to what he says.

    Ignore him, and if he doesn't start hiding behind sock-puppets again, you'll
    find r.s.s. quite peaceful.

  12. Silver0l

    Silver0l Guest

    <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email protected]...

    > Silver0l wrote:
    >
    > I am 43, I can swim only 1
    >> hour a week, and I do 3 km in this hour, and that includes rest and
    >> kickboard drills.

    > Actually, that is pretty good.

    Don't flatter me. It's only 2 A.

    -- Olivier

  13. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    Silver0l wrote:
    > "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
    > de news: [email protected]
    > > After the barage of attacts from someone about how long it takes me to
    > > learn
    > > swimming related stuff I think that I should join the majority of this
    > > world's population and sit myself in front of a tv.

    > Micheal,
    >
    > Following exchanges on this NG, you should know now that you are incredibly
    > slow. As a matter of fact, I have never seen a 25 years old guy training 5 x
    > 2 hours a week swimming so slowly (1.5 km/hr). I am 43, I can swim only 1
    > hour a week, and I do 3 km in this hour, and that includes rest and
    > kickboard drills. And I am very far from the best master swimmers. And I
    > know triathletes who started swimming at 40 who could swim much faster than
    > you after only 3 months.

    Thats right, but that is not the whole story. There are world class
    swimmers like Neethling for whom 1500m at 17:10 is not "too crazy"

    http://www.rykneethling.com/tips/

    And there are master class swimmers who work the hardest to keep 1500m
    barely at 30min or slower. All swimmers must face their physical
    limitations.

    Swimming speed is much more dependent on body shape and genetics than
    on hard work.

    > There can be only a few reasons to be so slow:
    > - deeply flawed technique
    > - physical inability (morbide obesity, heart dysfunction...)
    > - lack of condition

    Another reason may be that he hasn´t still given up like many slow
    swimmers do, because they get frustrated with slow progress.

  14. G Macdonald

    G Macdonald Guest

    >There can be only a few reasons to be so slow:
    >- deeply flawed technique
    >- physical inability (morbide obesity, heart dysfunction...)
    >- lack of condition

    Don't forget the one I am subscribing to:

    --overemphasis of inability as part of a drama queen act