i think im too heavy?

Schwarzennegger struggles against fat these days as he's getting on in years. He made an appearance at the tour de France last year to support Armstrong and was in much better shape due to the film he was making at the time.
I heard of a Brit who trained with Arnie back in the early seventies and the odd thing was he trained really really fast, using lighter weights, high reps and supersets. I mean, jet fast! The guy who trained with him actually threw up due to the speed and pace of the session (chest and legs being trained together via supersets).
Stallone was pretty fat in the first Rocky film but he was quite lean for Rocky Four. Ironically, the guy who trained him was Franco Columbo, Arnie's old training partner from Italy and a former boxing champion. I think Stallone was really lean at the time when he starred with Sharon Stone (what was the film?) but he had help from his personal trainer.
I agree it's best to get rid of any fat, especially in cycling.

Originally posted by armchair_spacem
Mate, don't get too hung up on BMI. While it's OK for Joe Average (who I have yet to meet) if you're out of the norm it becomes a bit meaningless. According to BMI measures Schwarzenegger is "morbidly obese", Stallone is "obese" and so is Mel Gibson.
I'm 6'2" and about 125kg and have been much bigger (was over 300lb last july). I look ridiculous on a biker but I can mix it up with a few of the local bunches and raise a few eyebrows in "friendly" sprints. "Ideal" BMI would put me at 69kg - I haven't weighed that since I was 14. Playing weight in my football days was around 95.
I've had some pretty sophisticated (and expensive) body composition analysis done and 10% body fat, given current lean mass would put me at about 95kg. I'll never be a 70kg whippet, but I don't care.

Originally posted by Carrera
Schwarzennegger struggles against fat these days as he's getting on in years... Stallone was pretty fat in the first Rocky film but he was quite lean for Rocky Four.

Maybe so, but my point is that no-one reasonable would say they were "obese" or "morbidly obese", as suggested by BMI measures.

Originally posted by BikeyGuy
At 5'11", you should be 175 lbs. Think about it.
Ask you Doc.
Oh yeah....I'm 5'11", solid build, 195 lbs. I need to lose 20.
I did weight 220 a year ago. Good Luck !

this season i started out at 210 and getting my a$$ handed to me..
now i am 170ish
and i am dishing out the a$$ woopin 8)

all you have to do is eat two bowls of cereal a day and then a BIG MEAL when u ride
and dont eat after 7pm
and no soda!
thats all!
oh ya..
RIDE ALOT like 100 miles a week

Check out the 80's book 'Cycling for Fitness' by John Schubert (I think). Excellent stuff, got me from a sedentary 255lbs to riding centuries in 10 weeks.

It's out of print, but used copies abound in used bookstores and amazon.com.

Nutrition is one of the most important factors and acts as fuel as we all know. Even supplements have a place and should be considered.
So many foods can be useful for different reasons and diet is a science. I'm already finding that certain foods give me more energy than others and help me to feel energetic while riding.

Originally posted by izzodesh
this season i started out at 210 and getting my a$$ handed to me..
now i am 170ish
and i am dishing out the a$$ woopin 8)

all you have to do is eat two bowls of cereal a day and then a BIG MEAL when u ride
and dont eat after 7pm
and no soda!
thats all!
oh ya..
RIDE ALOT like 100 miles a week

Originally posted by kona
I've been concerned with my weight, ive been cycling for about 7 months now and am hooked. I was 102kg when i started - ... I now weigh about 90kg ... i was hoping to get down to about 80 if possible.

Hi Kona -

I started riding about 4-months ago for basically the same reasons - I'm 6' 2" and was 108kg when I started - I've been riding approx. 5-6 hours per week for the last 4-months and now I'm weighing 95kg. My goal is 90kg and I'm begining to realise that the last 5kgs are not going to disapear without a diet change as well - I'm absolutely ravenous most of the time and I basically eat anything I can lay my hands on...this cannot be a good thing :D Good luck with the remaining kgs - Keep pedaling!!

Steve

Originally posted by Stevedvg
I'm begining to realise that the last 5kgs are not going to disapear without a diet change as well - I'm absolutely ravenous most of the time and I basically eat anything I can lay my hands on...this cannot be a good thing :D Good luck with the remaining kgs - Keep pedaling!!

Steve

I found the South Beach Diet the only one where I DIDN'T feel hungry all the time. The only thing I didn't like was the use odf sweeteners instead of sugar. I either cut out the sugar or cut down.

Originally posted by Dominic Sansom
I found the South Beach Diet the only one where I DIDN'T feel hungry all the time. The only thing I didn't like was the use odf sweeteners instead of sugar. I either cut out the sugar or cut down.

Yeah, I think the South Beach and some serious miles on the bike would be a surefire way to reach an ideal weight. It keeps you from loading up on all the junk food. It is not cheap, though, and you also have to know how (or learn) to cook!

Originally posted by Randybaker99
Yeah, I think the South Beach and some serious miles on the bike would be a surefire way to reach an ideal weight. It keeps you from loading up on all the junk food. It is not cheap, though, and you also have to know how (or learn) to cook!

The best thing I like about the South Beach Diet is BACON AND EGGS FOR BREAKFAST!

For me weight loss is easy. I'm varying my intensity on the bike but including lots of hill work. Weight is literally dripping off me. My problem is I may lose too much weight so I'm on an every-other-day routine and forcing myself to relax and eat as well as I can. Sometimes it takes time for the metabolism to speed up but once it does the weight will fall off.

Originally posted by Stevedvg
Hi Kona -

I started riding about 4-months ago for basically the same reasons - I'm 6' 2" and was 108kg when I started - I've been riding approx. 5-6 hours per week for the last 4-months and now I'm weighing 95kg. My goal is 90kg and I'm begining to realise that the last 5kgs are not going to disapear without a diet change as well - I'm absolutely ravenous most of the time and I basically eat anything I can lay my hands on...this cannot be a good thing :D Good luck with the remaining kgs - Keep pedaling!!

Steve