I think the pro-speeders have *really* done it now ;)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. check this out.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2726571.stm

    IMO a *real* own goal for the pro-speeders. Whilst society may not as yet be heavy enough on drivers
    who injure or kill, there are certainly heavy penalties for damaging *property*. Especially blowing
    up Government Property with IEDs (improvised explosive devices)!

    Hopefully a few of these speed freaks are going to be dragged out of their homes at 6:30 with cable
    ties round their wrists and loaded H&K MP5s pointed at their heads. They might start getting the
    message then!

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] wrote:
    > check this out.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2726571.stm
    >
    > IMO a *real* own goal for the pro-speeders. Whilst society may not as yet be heavy enough on
    > drivers who injure or kill, there are certainly heavy penalties for damaging *property*.
    > Especially blowing up Government Property with IEDs (improvised explosive devices)!

    Oh I don't know. I can't see that the whole pro-speeder lobby is likely to be affected by any
    penalties those who did this will get, if they're caught. If it wasn't for the potential seriousness
    of the consequences to any passersby, had there been any, it would almost be amusing. I suspect
    there'll be a rousing cheer in the anti-camera lobby.

    > Hopefully a few of these speed freaks are going to be dragged out of their homes at 6:30 with
    > cable ties round their wrists and loaded H&K MP5s pointed at their heads. They might start getting
    > the message then!

    Might happen to the suspects, but again, it isn't going to affect the whole lobby one iota.

    Rich

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] wrote:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2726571.stm

    Hmmm. I'm contacting the BBC - "blamed on frustrated motorists" makes it sound as if speed cameras
    interfere with law-abiding drivers, which we all know they don't. I'm trying to ensure I don't type
    in metaphorical green ink, mind.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:34:02 +0000, Tony W wrote:

    > "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:foX%[email protected]...
    >> check this out.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2726571.stm
    >>
    > Strange that the repeat of Clarkson's tour of Europe featured a Dutch guy whose web site 'honours'
    > Gatsos destroyed by fire, bomb or expanding foam just a day or two ago.
    >
    > Have British yobs no imagination??

    Hold on - we don't know for sure they didn't get the idea from Paul Smith's website ;).

    KW

  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hold on - we don't know for sure they didn't get the idea from Paul
    Smith's
    > website ;).

    I for one think the governments arbitrary restrictions on bombing are ridiculous.

    It should be up to the individual bomber to decide when and where it is safe to detonate explosives.
    For instance it can be perfectly safe to detonate a nuclear device in the middle of Pacific Ocean
    where as a firework detonated in the middle of a crowd of people can cause death and serious injury.

    \\www.safebombing.com/

  7. Fortyeight16

    Fortyeight16 Guest

    "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > It should be up to the individual bomber to decide when and where it is
    safe
    > to detonate explosives. For instance it can be perfectly safe to detonate
    > nuclear device in the middle of Pacific Ocean where as a firework
    detonated
    > in the middle of a crowd of people can cause death and serious injury.
    >
    > \\www.safebombing.com/

    ARF!

  8. John B

    John B Guest

    Kit Wolf wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:34:02 +0000, Tony W wrote:
    >

    > > "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:foX%[email protected]...
    > >> check this out.
    > >>
    > >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2726571.stm
    > >>
    > > Strange that the repeat of Clarkson's tour of Europe featured a Dutch guy whose web site
    > > 'honours' Gatsos destroyed by fire, bomb or expanding foam just a day or two ago.
    > >
    > > Have British yobs no imagination??
    >
    > Hold on - we don't know for sure they didn't get the idea from Paul Smith's website ;).

    Are you saying that Paul Smith _isn't_ a 'British yob'?

    Is there something you know that we don't?

    John B

  9. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    >> > Strange that the repeat of Clarkson's tour of Europe featured a Dutch guy whose web site
    >> > 'honours' Gatsos destroyed by fire, bomb or expanding foam just a day or two ago.
    >> >
    >> > Have British yobs no imagination??
    >>
    >> Hold on - we don't know for sure they didn't get the idea from Paul Smith's website ;).
    >
    > Are you saying that Paul Smith _isn't_ a 'British yob'?
    >
    > Is there something you know that we don't?

    I've no idea whether he is a yob or not. (I suspect not) But he has had pictures of several
    vandalised speed cameras on his website, so maybe the yobs took their cues from him (in truth, JC
    sounds more likely, which presumably makes them multicultural yobs).

    Did Clarkson make any value judgments on speed camera execution, out of interest? He showed a clip
    the other day of a 4x4 pulverising a small car, and said "now, which of those would you rather be
    in" which had my hackles raised.

    Kit W

  10. In news:[email protected], Richard Goodman <[email protected]> typed:

    > Oh I don't know. I can't see that the whole pro-speeder lobby is likely to be affected by any
    > penalties those who did this will get, if they're caught.

    Not *directly* ; but this latest event will no doubt re-inforce in the minds of the authorities that
    there are elements of the pro-speed / drive at any costs lobby who are potentially *dangerous* - and
    they may well now come under scrutiny of agencies a bit higher up than the local traffic cops!

    Other pro-motoring groups are already talking about "civil disobedience" and "attacking congestion
    charge cameras" in London - and these kind of threats don't go un-noticed by the powers that be.

    They are now a protest/*terrorist* group who have shown their willingness to use violence and
    improvised explosive devices, way beyond the levels of peaceful protest.

    Hopefully we will see them being subject to the same level of police surveillance, monitoring and
    disruption of their activities as the eco-warriors were 7 years ago when they tried similar tactics.

    Alex

  11. "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Hold on - we don't know for sure they didn't get the idea from Paul
    > Smith's
    > > website ;).
    > >
    > I for one think the governments arbitrary restrictions on bombing are ridiculous.
    >
    > It should be up to the individual bomber to decide when and where it is
    safe
    > to detonate explosives. For instance it can be perfectly safe to detonate
    > nuclear device in the middle of Pacific Ocean where as a firework
    detonated
    > in the middle of a crowd of people can cause death and serious injury.
    >
    > \\www.safebombing.com/

    You've nicked George W Bush's briefing papers haven't you :)

    Russ

  12. I just love this quote from Plod:

    "Had someone been driving past at this time, the occupants would have been seriously injured or
    killed and we could have been looking at a murder inquiry"

    Oh, the poor motorist again! Tough luck then if you're a pedestrian standing alongside it with your
    kiddies, riding past on your bike or just happen to be living beside it!!!!!!

    Soapbox mode OFF

    BigRAb

  13. [email protected] (Robert McDonald!!!!!!) wrote: ( "Had someone been driving past at this
    time, the occupants would have ) been seriously injured or killed and we could have been looking at
    a ( murder inquiry" ) ( Oh, the poor motorist again! Tough luck then if you're a pedestrian )
    standing alongside it with your kiddies, riding past on your bike or ( just happen to be living
    beside it!!!!!!

    Perhaps the A605 Thrapston bypass isn't the sort of road you'd want to be standing alongside
    with your kiddies, etc in the first place? It doesn't look as though many people live alongside
    it (!!!!!!).

  14. "Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > He showed a clip the other day of a 4x4 pulverising a small car, and said "now, which of those
    > would you rather be in" which had my hackles raised.

    Then again, which of those would you prefer Clarkson to be sitting in? ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  15. Fortyeight16

    Fortyeight16 Guest

    "Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > He showed a clip the other day of a 4x4 pulverising a small car, and said "now, which of those
    > would you rather be in" which had my hackles raised.

    We should tax vehicles on their destructive force, i.e. work out a formula which takes into account
    their fuel type, fuel economy, size, weight and top speed.

  16. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm contacting the BBC - "blamed on frustrated motorists" makes it sound as if speed cameras
    > interfere with law-abiding drivers, which we all know they don't.

    Who's this "we" Tonto? As a "law-abiding driver" or even cyclist I have been interefed with as a
    result of other "law-abiding drivers" brakeing too hard/fast when approaching speed cameras.

    --
    Marc T Shirts, Sweatshirts, polo shirts, banners, signs,decals, stickers etc for clubs and
    associations of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    marc wrote:

    >> "blamed on frustrated motorists" makes it sound as if speed cameras interfere with law-abiding
    >> drivers, which we all know they don't.

    > Who's this "we" Tonto? As a "law-abiding driver" or even cyclist I have been interefed with as a
    > result of other "law-abiding drivers" brakeing too hard/fast when approaching speed cameras.

    So you blame the inanimate object instead of the crass behaviour of the twat in front?

    --
    Guy
    ===

  18. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> "blamed on frustrated motorists" makes it sound as if speed cameras interfere with law-abiding
    > >> drivers, which we all know they don't.
    >
    > > Who's this "we" Tonto? As a "law-abiding driver" or even cyclist I have been interefed with as a
    > > result of other "law-abiding drivers" brakeing too hard/fast when approaching speed cameras.
    >
    > So you blame the inanimate object instead of the crass behaviour of the twat in front?

    Yep! Remove the inanimate object and the crass behaviour of the twat in front will be about 300 yds
    away from me. If you want to, substitute the inanimate object with an animate object in a uniform
    that can pull the twat over where it's safe, I have no problems with that.

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:06:08 +0000, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

    >> So you blame the inanimate object instead of the crass behaviour of the twat in front?

    >Yep! Remove the inanimate object and the crass behaviour of the twat in front will be about 300 yds
    >away from me. If you want to, substitute the inanimate object with an animate object in a uniform
    >that can pull the twat over where it's safe, I have no problems with that.

    And of course leaving the camera grey, hiding it behind a tree, and taking the twat off the road
    after four flashes is not an option.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  20. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Yep! Remove the inanimate object and the crass behaviour of the twat in front will be about 300
    > >yds away from me. If you want to, substitute the inanimate object with an animate object in a
    > >uniform that can pull the twat over where it's safe, I have no problems with that.
    >
    > And of course leaving the camera grey, hiding it behind a tree, and taking the twat off the road
    > after four flashes is not an option.

    Works for me! If the idea is to take drivers off the road, but if you want them to "kill their
    speed" at accident black spots it makes sense to make them bright yellow . Actually it makes more
    sense to alter the road to take away the black spot , but that doesn't make money and costs it.