I think the pro-speeders have *really* done it now ;)

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 23:52:34 -0000, "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Whats the odds that most people involved in crashes consider themselve 'above average' in
>driving ability?

Pretty close to 100% given that almost all drivers overestimate their own skill to some extent.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 12:55:02 +0900, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

>it seems to be a common expectation amongst the uk.tosspotters that these 'better than average'
>(generally young to middle-aged, white middle class) drivers can expect to have occasional prangs.
>Of course, they share your disdain for the doddering oldies who potter along not crashing.

Excellent point :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> DR <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I don't believe that mad offer up as an example ( or even a living sacrifice ) my mother in
> > > law, who "never ever speeds" yet is the most dangerous thing I have seen behind the wheel, and
> > > has no concept as to how wide her car is to the left.
> >
> > How does the balance of police/cameras change that?
> There is now less chance of her being stopped than before.

> >Was she ever pulled over before?

> Yes.
> > And if so what effect did it have?

> None whatsoever

Is there anymore to be said?

David Roberts

DR <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > How does the balance of police/cameras change that?
> > There is now less chance of her being stopped than before.
>
> > >Was she ever pulled over before?
>
> > Yes.
> > > And if so what effect did it have?
>
> > None whatsoever
>
> Is there anymore to be said?

Oh yes.

She has been pulled and had a chat, she ignored it. "If I was doing anything really wrong he would
have booked me" (1) , now with less chance of being stopped by a body and no chance of being caught
by a camera, she will continue until she perhaps hits someone.. :-(

(1) Long sweeping right hand bend with no centre markings, she was on the wrong side of the road,
she is always doing it! :-(

Marc wrote:
> (1) Long sweeping right hand bend with no centre markings, she was on the wrong side of the road,
> she is always doing it! :-(

There was a story in the local paper this week about a motorist who was killed in a head-on with
another car that came round a bed on the wrong side of the road. There was no mention of the other
driver having any injuries, though she was quoted as saying that she had no idea how her car ended
up on the wrong side of the road.

Of course, there could have been ice, but I see so many cars taking the racing line on bends that
I'm inclined to believe she just wasn't paying attention.

Thomas Paine

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> > (1) Long sweeping right hand bend with no centre markings, she was on the wrong side of the
> > road, she is always doing it! :-(
>
> There was a story in the local paper this week about a motorist who was killed in a head-on with
> another car that came round a bed on the wrong side of the road. There was no mention of the other
> driver having any injuries, though she was quoted as saying that she had no idea how her car ended
> up on the wrong side of the road.
>
> Of course, there could have been ice, but I see so many cars taking the racing line on bends that
> I'm inclined to believe she just wasn't paying attention.

I think it's because of the understeer that's dialled into modern cars, it makes the steering
heavier to go "the long way round" the corner, so more and more people cut .

"Marc" <[email protected]> wrote

> > > There is now less chance of her being stopped than before.

> > > Yes.
> >
> > > None whatsoever
> >
> > Is there anymore to be said?
>
> Oh yes.
>
> She has been pulled and had a chat, she ignored it.

But you started on the premise we need policemen not speed enforcement cameras to uphold
driving standards. Although yes, it may be desirable, you give an example that lends no weight
to any benefit.

David Roberts