I thought that exercise saves your life

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Nr, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Nr

    Nr Guest

    Tags:

  2. On 24 Sep 2003 20:32:27 +0200, [email protected]
    (NR) wrote:

    >How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    >

    >NR

    You probably should be (crushed I mean). Jim Fixx croaked from a congenital heart defect. If not for
    running he would've died much younger.

  3. Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  4. Anybody

    Anybody Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.

    ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!

    Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.

    Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    longer ... or shorter for that matter.

    Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    gardening, etc.

  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I don't think most real experts in the field of aging and exercise. will argue that exercising will
    make you significantly live longer or shorter.

    However, they will argue that exercising can significantly improve your quality of life. Exercise
    can also help keep a whole host chronic disease at bay. For someone who is overweight, exercise may
    be the difference between dying in wretching agony from failed kidneys or dying naturally from
    congestive heart failure. Whether it elongates the life of someone who is already in the whole
    remains to be seen.

    I think that if you took two identical twins and made one exercise 4 times a week for 30 min a day
    for their whole life, while the other was sedentary, your exercising twin would live longer. That is
    assuming all other covariates are held constant. My opinion is not based on any fact, but just a
    little intuition.

    jOe

    "Anybody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:250920030841319271%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.
    >
    > ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    >
    > Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    >
    > Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    > than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    > longer ... or shorter for that matter.
    >
    > Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > gardening, etc.

  6. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (NR) wrote:

    > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.

    *running*... not jogging. and running (or jogging) doesn't prevent death, or heart attacks, but
    rather enhances the quality of our lives while we are still around. and it's often true that the
    health and fitness gained by running slow down the aging process and reduce risk of disease.

    Cam

    --
    Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

  7. NetPerv

    NetPerv Guest

    You are dipshit. A fat too I'll bet.

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:41:31 +1200, Anybody <[email protected]> wrote:

    >ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    >
    >Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    >
    >Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    >than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    >longer ... or shorter for that matter.
    >
    >Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > gardening, etc.

  8. NetPerv

    NetPerv Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:44:40 GMT, "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't think most real experts in the field of aging and exercise. will argue that exercising will
    >make you significantly live longer or shorter.

    Why even respond to someone so ignorant? Whoever in the history of the world ever died from
    "exercising too much"??? Obvious a troll by a big, fat-assed person.

  9. "NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    >

    > NR

    It wasn't a heart attack brain dead troll.

    Idiot.

    Go play in the freeway.

  10. Barbi

    Barbi Guest

    PLONK "NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  11. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Family history Smoker (he stopped once he began running) Inactivity for several years.

    It can be argued that he would have died much younger had he not started running. In addition, read
    his book and check out the quality of his life.

    I believed his father died at a very young age and that Fixx died many years later than his
    father did.

    "NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  12. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Anybody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:250920030841319271%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.
    >
    > ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    >
    > Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    Not sure where that line is though...

    > Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    > than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    > longer ... or shorter for that matter.

    You might want to check out Paffenberger's epidemiological studies (mostly looking at
    white males). Also see the studies on British bus drivers and ticket takers. Lastly
    check the data from Cooper's Clinic that moving from the lowest quintile of fitness (as
    assessed by VO2max) reduced ALL CAUSE MORTALITY.

    > Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > gardening, etc.

    Even some of those activities have positive benefits in weight management (although I guess
    that since this is going to the fat acceptance group that there is little interest in that).
    It is just that the dose is small so it takes longer.

  13. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't think most real experts in the field of aging and exercise. will argue that exercising
    > will make you significantly live longer or shorter.

    Cooper's Clinic, Paffenberger, Blair, etc have the data that increasing fitness reduces all
    cause mortality.

    > However, they will argue that exercising can significantly improve your quality of life. Exercise
    > can also help keep a whole host chronic disease at bay. For someone who is overweight, exercise
    > may be the difference between dying in wretching agony from failed kidneys or dying naturally
    from
    > congestive heart failure. Whether it elongates the life of someone who is already in the whole
    > remains to be seen.
    >
    > I think that if you took two identical twins and made one exercise 4 times
    > week for 30 min a day for their whole life, while the other was sedentary, your exercising twin
    > would live longer. That is assuming all other covariates are held constant. My opinion is not
    > based on any fact, but
    just
    > a little intuition.
    >
    > jOe
    >
    > "Anybody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:250920030841319271%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.
    > >
    > > ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    > >
    > > Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    > >
    > > Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    > > than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people
    > > live longer ... or shorter for that matter.
    > >
    > > Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > > gardening, etc.

  14. Slotman1958

    Slotman1958 Guest

    > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.

    Jim Fixx had an undiagnosed, congenital heart defect. He ignored the chest pains he was having, went
    out for a run anyway, and died.

    This sounds like the old "I know a guy who's 95 and smoked all his life, etc." argument.

    If you are too stupid and stubborn, nothing, not common sense, documented scientific evidence, or
    what you can see with your own eyes is going to convince you.

    A Platoon Sergeant I had in the Army had a saying "Those who can, do. Those who can't make excuses."

    Slotman

    [email protected] (NR) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

  15. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "slotman1958" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    > >

    > Jim Fixx had an undiagnosed, congenital heart defect. He ignored the chest pains he was having,
    > went out for a run anyway, and died.
    >
    > This sounds like the old "I know a guy who's 95 and smoked all his life, etc." argument.
    >
    > If you are too stupid and stubborn, nothing, not common sense, documented scientific evidence, or
    > what you can see with your own eyes is going to convince you.
    >
    > A Platoon Sergeant I had in the Army had a saying "Those who can, do. Those who can't make
    > excuses."

    Isn't there an academic verssion of that?

    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

  16. Sam wrote:

    > You might want to check out Paffenberger's epidemiological studies (mostly looking at
    > white males). Also see the studies on British bus drivers and ticket takers. Lastly
    > check the data from Cooper's Clinic that moving from the lowest quintile of fitness
    > (as assessed by VO2max) reduced ALL CAUSE MORTALITY.

    Lowest quintile of fitness? OK, so if you're in terrible shape, your all-cause mortality is higher
    than if you're not. Getting out of this lowest quintile is pretty easy. IIRC, you can achieve this
    feat by climbing as few as 100 steps per day.

    --
    -Wayne

  17. Dokter

    Dokter Guest

    > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    >

    > NR

    So living kills, what else is new?

  18. Banty

    Banty Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, slotman1958 says...

    >> How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    >>

    >Jim Fixx had an undiagnosed, congenital heart defect. He ignored the chest pains he was having,
    >went out for a run anyway, and died.
    >
    >This sounds like the old "I know a guy who's 95 and smoked all his life, etc." argument.
    >
    >If you are too stupid and stubborn, nothing, not common sense, documented scientific evidence, or
    >what you can see with your own eyes is going to convince you.

    That a single example from all the way back to 1984 is all they can point to is pretty good witness
    to the fact that this is an atypical occurance.

    Banty

  19. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Sorry, like I said, this isn't my forte.

    Good to hear that some researchers have found that.

    Thanks, JOe

    news:%[email protected]...