I thought that exercise saves your life

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Nr, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Nr

Nr Guest

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.

NR

http://www.pat-acceptance.org/kookrant.html http://www.pat-acceptance.org/kookrant2.html

If I catch you busting into a mass and vilifying a church, the last thing you'll hear in your entire
    life, will be the ratatatatat of an automatic.
    - --Steve Chaney to Mark Ira Kaufman Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Young Mr. Chaney, the man who has told me that he wants to murder me and sodomize women in my
    family, has said, repeatedly, that advocates for choice had vandalized churches.
    - --Mark Ira Kaufman Message-ID: <[email protected]>

she probably has to have her picture taken by satellite because no normal camera can fit all that
    whale blubber into one picture.
    - --Steve Chaney Message-ID: <[email protected]>

she's 100lbs overweight and the weight is all fat - but most women ain't that big.

You of course do know what a lot of Asian women prefer, right? Besides,

except that she looks good on your arm. In bed it ain't much at all. If the lights go out, any
    guy whose hormones are more fixed on performance than looks, is going to go to sleep right
    there and then.

Clarice and Allisson were well beyond a BMI of 25 in their pictures where they were called cows.

If Dutton knocked on Steve's door and Steve shot him in the face, I would really not care.
    - --Crash Street Kidd about Steve Chaney Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Stephen A Chaney is NR's whipping boy.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: N/A

KevS8rsI/0gIj0Yfgk11YmpuLRCRhpFoNNDK87erArXJsA8DEya8EaD1AUU0BKym HEVK55GZffBU0p+9kcIuymZT =z0pU
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Tags:

2. On 24 Sep 2003 20:32:27 +0200, [email protected]
    (NR) wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    >
    >How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    >
    >
    >NR
    >

You probably should be (crushed I mean). Jim Fixx croaked from a congenital heart defect. If not for
    running he would've died much younger.

3. Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.

--
    Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    >
    > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    >
    >
    > NR
    >
    > http://www.pat-acceptance.org/kookrant.html http://www.pat-acceptance.org/kookrant2.html
    >
    > If I catch you busting into a mass and vilifying a church, the last thing you'll hear in your
    > entire life, will be the ratatatatat of an automatic.
    > - --Steve Chaney to Mark Ira Kaufman Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    >
    > Young Mr. Chaney, the man who has told me that he wants to murder me and sodomize women in my
    > family, has said, repeatedly, that advocates for choice had vandalized churches.
    > - --Mark Ira Kaufman Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    >
    > she probably has to have her picture taken by satellite because no normal camera can fit all that
    > whale blubber into one picture.
    > - --Steve Chaney Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    >

when
    > she's 100lbs overweight and the weight is all fat - but most women ain't that big.
    >
    > You of course do know what a lot of Asian women prefer, right? Besides,

> except that she looks good on your arm. In bed it ain't much at all. If
    the
    > lights go out, any guy whose hormones are more fixed on performance than looks, is going to go to
    > sleep right there and then.
    >
    > Clarice and Allisson were well beyond a BMI of 25 in their pictures where they were called cows.
    >
    > If Dutton knocked on Steve's door and Steve shot him in the face, I would really not care.
    > - --Crash Street Kidd about Steve Chaney Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    >
    > Stephen A Chaney is NR's whipping boy.
    >
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: N/A
    >
    > KevS8rsI/0gIj0Yfgk11YmpuLRCRhpFoNNDK87erArXJsA8DEya8EaD1AUU0BKym HEVK55GZffBU0p+9kcIuymZT =z0pU
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

4. Anybody

Anybody Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.

ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!

Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.

Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    longer ... or shorter for that matter.

Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    gardening, etc.

5. Joe

Joe Guest

I don't think most real experts in the field of aging and exercise. will argue that exercising will
    make you significantly live longer or shorter.

However, they will argue that exercising can significantly improve your quality of life. Exercise
    can also help keep a whole host chronic disease at bay. For someone who is overweight, exercise may
    be the difference between dying in wretching agony from failed kidneys or dying naturally from
    congestive heart failure. Whether it elongates the life of someone who is already in the whole
    remains to be seen.

I think that if you took two identical twins and made one exercise 4 times a week for 30 min a day
    for their whole life, while the other was sedentary, your exercising twin would live longer. That is
    assuming all other covariates are held constant. My opinion is not based on any fact, but just a
    little intuition.

jOe

"Anybody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:250920030841319271%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.
    >
    > ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    >
    > Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    >
    > Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    > than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    > longer ... or shorter for that matter.
    >
    > Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > gardening, etc.

6. Onemarathon

Onemarathon Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (NR) wrote:

>
    > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.

*running*... not jogging. and running (or jogging) doesn't prevent death, or heart attacks, but
    rather enhances the quality of our lives while we are still around. and it's often true that the
    health and fitness gained by running slow down the aging process and reduce risk of disease.

Cam

--
    Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

7. NetPerv

NetPerv Guest

You are dipshit. A fat too I'll bet.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:41:31 +1200, Anybody <[email protected]> wrote:

>ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    >
    >Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    >
    >Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    >than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    >longer ... or shorter for that matter.
    >
    >Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > gardening, etc.

8. NetPerv

NetPerv Guest

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:44:40 GMT, "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't think most real experts in the field of aging and exercise. will argue that exercising will
    >make you significantly live longer or shorter.
    >

Why even respond to someone so ignorant? Whoever in the history of the world ever died from
    "exercising too much"??? Obvious a troll by a big, fat-assed person.

9. "NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >
    >
    > NR

It wasn't a heart attack brain dead troll.

Idiot.

Go play in the freeway.

R

10. Barbi

Barbi Guest

PLONK "NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >
    >
    > NR
    >
    > http://www.pat-acceptance.org/kookrant.html http://www.pat-acceptance.org/kookrant2.html
    >
    > If I catch you busting into a mass and vilifying a church, the last thing you'll hear in your
    >
    > Young Mr. Chaney, the man who has told me that he wants to murder me and sodomize women in my
    > family, has said, repeatedly, that advocates for choice had vandalized churches.
    >
    > she probably has to have her picture taken by satellite because no normal camera can fit all that
    >

when
    > she's 100lbs overweight and the weight is all fat - but most women ain't that big.
    >

the
    > lights go out, any guy whose hormones are more fixed on performance than looks, is going to go to
    >
    > Clarice and Allisson were well beyond a BMI of 25 in their pictures where they were called cows.
    >
    > If Dutton knocked on Steve's door and Steve shot him in the face, I would really not care.
    >
    >
    >
    > KevS8rsI/0gIj0Yfgk11YmpuLRCRhpFoNNDK87erArXJsA8DEya8EaD1AUU0BKym HEVK55GZffBU0p+9kcIuymZT =z0pU

11. Sam

Sam Guest

Family history Smoker (he stopped once he began running) Inactivity for several years.

It can be argued that he would have died much younger had he not started running. In addition, read
    his book and check out the quality of his life.

I believed his father died at a very young age and that Fixx died many years later than his
    father did.

"NR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >
    >
    > NR
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

when
    >

the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

12. Sam

Sam Guest

"Anybody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:250920030841319271%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.
    >
    > ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    >
    > Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    Not sure where that line is though...

>
    > Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    > than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people live
    > longer ... or shorter for that matter.

You might want to check out Paffenberger's epidemiological studies (mostly looking at
    white males). Also see the studies on British bus drivers and ticket takers. Lastly
    check the data from Cooper's Clinic that moving from the lowest quintile of fitness (as
    assessed by VO2max) reduced ALL CAUSE MORTALITY.

>
    > Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > gardening, etc.

Even some of those activities have positive benefits in weight management (although I guess
    that since this is going to the fat acceptance group that there is little interest in that).
    It is just that the dose is small so it takes longer.

13. Sam

Sam Guest

"Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't think most real experts in the field of aging and exercise. will argue that exercising
    > will make you significantly live longer or shorter.

Cooper's Clinic, Paffenberger, Blair, etc have the data that increasing fitness reduces all
    cause mortality.

>
    > However, they will argue that exercising can significantly improve your quality of life. Exercise
    > can also help keep a whole host chronic disease at bay. For someone who is overweight, exercise
    > may be the difference between dying in wretching agony from failed kidneys or dying naturally
    from
    > congestive heart failure. Whether it elongates the life of someone who is already in the whole
    > remains to be seen.
    >
    > I think that if you took two identical twins and made one exercise 4 times
    a
    > week for 30 min a day for their whole life, while the other was sedentary, your exercising twin
    > would live longer. That is assuming all other covariates are held constant. My opinion is not
    > based on any fact, but
    just
    > a little intuition.
    >
    > jOe
    >
    > "Anybody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:250920030841319271%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are more likely to die old.
    > >
    > > ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    > >
    > > Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    > >
    > > Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more times
    > > than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making people
    > > live longer ... or shorter for that matter.
    > >
    > > Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > > gardening, etc.

14. Slotman1958

Slotman1958 Guest

>

Jim Fixx had an undiagnosed, congenital heart defect. He ignored the chest pains he was having, went
    out for a run anyway, and died.

This sounds like the old "I know a guy who's 95 and smoked all his life, etc." argument.

If you are too stupid and stubborn, nothing, not common sense, documented scientific evidence, or
    what you can see with your own eyes is going to convince you.

A Platoon Sergeant I had in the Army had a saying "Those who can, do. Those who can't make excuses."

Slotman

[email protected] (NR) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >
    >
    > NR
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

> except that she looks good on your arm. In bed it ain't much at all. If the lights go out, any
    > guy whose hormones are more fixed on performance than looks, is going to go to sleep right there
    > and then.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

15. Lee Michaels

Lee Michaels Guest

"slotman1958" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    > >
    >
    > Jim Fixx had an undiagnosed, congenital heart defect. He ignored the chest pains he was having,
    > went out for a run anyway, and died.
    >
    > This sounds like the old "I know a guy who's 95 and smoked all his life, etc." argument.
    >
    > If you are too stupid and stubborn, nothing, not common sense, documented scientific evidence, or
    > what you can see with your own eyes is going to convince you.
    >
    > A Platoon Sergeant I had in the Army had a saying "Those who can, do. Those who can't make
    > excuses."
    >

Isn't there an academic verssion of that?

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

16. Sam wrote:

> You might want to check out Paffenberger's epidemiological studies (mostly looking at
    > white males). Also see the studies on British bus drivers and ticket takers. Lastly
    > check the data from Cooper's Clinic that moving from the lowest quintile of fitness
    > (as assessed by VO2max) reduced ALL CAUSE MORTALITY.

Lowest quintile of fitness? OK, so if you're in terrible shape, your all-cause mortality is higher
    than if you're not. Getting out of this lowest quintile is pretty easy. IIRC, you can achieve this
    feat by climbing as few as 100 steps per day.

--
    -Wayne

17. Dokter

Dokter Guest

>
    >
    > NR

So living kills, what else is new?

18. Banty

Banty Guest

In article <[email protected]>, slotman1958 says...
    >
    >> How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
    >>
    >
    >Jim Fixx had an undiagnosed, congenital heart defect. He ignored the chest pains he was having,
    >went out for a run anyway, and died.
    >
    >This sounds like the old "I know a guy who's 95 and smoked all his life, etc." argument.
    >
    >If you are too stupid and stubborn, nothing, not common sense, documented scientific evidence, or
    >what you can see with your own eyes is going to convince you.

That a single example from all the way back to 1984 is all they can point to is pretty good witness
    to the fact that this is an atypical occurance.

Banty

19. Joe

Joe Guest

Sorry, like I said, this isn't my forte.

Good to hear that some researchers have found that.

Thanks, JOe

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    >
    > "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I don't think most real experts in the field of aging and exercise. will argue that exercising
    > > will make you significantly live longer or
    shorter.
    >
    > Cooper's Clinic, Paffenberger, Blair, etc have the data that increasing fitness reduces all
    > cause mortality.
    >
    > >
    > > However, they will argue that exercising can significantly improve your quality of life.
    > > Exercise can also help keep a whole host chronic
    disease
    > > at bay. For someone who is overweight, exercise may be the difference between dying in wretching
    > > agony from failed kidneys or dying naturally
    > from
    > > congestive heart failure. Whether it elongates the life of someone who
    is
    > > already in the whole remains to be seen.
    > >
    > > I think that if you took two identical twins and made one exercise 4
    times
    > a
    > > week for 30 min a day for their whole life, while the other was
    sedentary,
    > > your exercising twin would live longer. That is assuming all other covariates are held constant.
    > > My opinion is not based on any fact, but
    > just
    > > a little intuition.
    > >
    > > jOe
    > >
    > > "Anybody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:250920030841319271%[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, "Joseph
    Meehan"
    > > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Got news for you. We will all die. However those who run are
    more
    > > > > likely to die old.
    > > >
    > > > ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!
    > > >
    > > > Just like EVERYTHING else, "too much" exercise is detrimental and can kill you.
    > > >
    > > > Plus, there's ZERO proof that's worth reading (so-called "experts" change their minds more
    > > > times than you chew food) to show that doing exercise has any affect what-so-ever on making
    > > > people live longer ... or shorter for that matter.
    > > >
    > > > Note: By "exercise" I mean going to the gym, jogging, etc., NOT the normal day-to-day walking,
    > > > gardening, etc.
    > >
    >