I thought that exercise saves your life

"Dokter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1064497304.578571@cache1>...
> > How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
> >

> > NR
>
> So living kills, what else is new?

I think it's interesting that in his early days Dr. Kenneth Cooper was a proponent of the 'no pain,
no gain' theory of health. Now that he's older and can't do much he finds that simple walking is the
best exercise. He found studies that proved both plans at the times. I also saw a study that found
people who thought they were eating a healthy diet were healthier even though they were not on the
generally accepted healthy diet.

Banty wrote:

> That a single example from all the way back to 1984 is all they can point to is pretty good
> witness to the fact that this is an atypical occurance.
>
> Banty

Just out of curiosity, from what newsgroup did this fascinating sentence construction originate?

--
-Wayne

alt.lawyer-acceptance???

Brian Jones

"Wayne S. Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Banty wrote:
>
> > That a single example from all the way back to 1984 is all they can point to is pretty good
> > witness to the fact that this is an atypical occurance.
> >
> > Banty
>
> Just out of curiosity, from what newsgroup did this fascinating sentence construction originate?
>
> --
> -Wayne

In article <[email protected]>, Brian Jones says...

>alt.lawyer-acceptance???
>
>Brian Jones
>
>"Wayne S. Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Banty wrote:
>>
>> > That a single example from all the way back to 1984 is all they can point to is pretty good
>> > witness to the fact that this is an atypical occurance.
>> >
>> > Banty
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, from what newsgroup did this fascinating sentence construction originate?
>>
>> --
>> -Wayne

alt.tv.er

I trust you both are literate enough to have understood it.

Banty

Banty wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Brian Jones says...
>>
>> alt.lawyer-acceptance???
>>
>> Brian Jones

>>> Just out of curiosity, from what newsgroup did this fascinating sentence construction originate?
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Wayne
>>

> alt.tv.er
>
> I trust you both are literate enough to have understood it.

People can understand it, just like people can understand what their toddlers are saying. However, a
truly literate person would never write a sentence like that. It's not a clear, well-constructed
sentence. Try "Only one example can be found, and this example is 17 years old! This clearly is not
a typical occurrence." Any other suggestions?

--
nimue

"Because the thing about the Nerds, what made them so appealing, was that not only are they
underdogs, they are underdogs who accept other underdogs unconditionally. And that speaks volumes
to people."

Curtis Armstrong

"I don't understand why you don't want to see more of Spike. More Spike makes everything better.
Spike, Spike, Spike, wonderful Spike." Clairel

"There are things I will not tolerate: students loitering on campus after school, horrible murders
with hearts being removed... and also smoking." Principal Snyder

slotman1958 wrote:

>>How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
>>

> Jim Fixx had an undiagnosed, congenital heart defect. He ignored the chest pains he was having,
> went out for a run anyway, and died.
>
> This sounds like the old "I know a guy who's 95 and smoked all his life, etc." argument.
>
> If you are too stupid and stubborn, nothing, not common sense, documented scientific evidence, or
> what you can see with your own eyes is going to convince you.
>
> A Platoon Sergeant I had in the Army had a saying "Those who can, do. Those who can't make
> excuses."
>
> Slotman

Slot, you can also look at it this way:

Fixx was 2-1 on heart attacks. Before he died, his wife said that he twice came back from runs and
collapsed, turning moderately blue for half an hour. It actually took three heart attacks to kill
him, which is two more chances than most of us get.

rm

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:41:40 +0200, "Dokter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> How is it that Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging?! I'm crushed.
>>

>> NR
>
>So living kills, what else is new?

Ya can't outrun the Reaper.

-- Steve º¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤º Steve Chaney [email protected] Remove
"NRismykicktoy" to get my real email address See the soc.singles HALL OF STUPID:
http://member.newsguy.com/~gunhed/hallofstupid

"Too late he understood that when you mate with a black widow spider, you're on the menu tonight."
- Crash Street Kidd, re: Jackie, Message-ID: <[email protected]

On 1 Oct 2003 17:09:07 -0700, [email protected] (Alfred Einstead) wrote:

>"Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Got news for you. We will all die.
>
>Actually, nobody's ever proven that. Zappa said so.

More to the point - it has never been conclusively unproven! ;o)

It looks to be a foregone conclusion, made only the less depressing if you are fortunate enough to
be possessed of a faith in some form of 'afterlife'!!

Fortunately, it is all way beyond man's feeble comprehension, thus making anything possible. The
future might not be as hopeless as it may appear.

I suspect the odds are not good! ;o)

"nimue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Banty wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Brian Jones says...
> >>
> >> alt.lawyer-acceptance???
> >>
> >> Brian Jones

> > alt.tv.er
> >
> > I trust you both are literate enough to have understood it.
>
> People can understand it, just like people can understand what their toddlers are saying. However,
> a truly literate person would never write a sentence like that.

Bollocks. It is a correctly and euphoniously constructed, perfectly literate sentence. I might add
that the mantle of resident literary critic ill becomes you considering that your sig contains the
hideous clunker "Because the thing about the Nerds, what made them so appealing, was that not only
are they underdogs, they are underdogs who accept other underdogs unconditionally. And that speaks
volumes to people."

It's not a clear, well-constructed sentence. Try "Only
> one example can be found, and this example is 17 years old! This clearly is not a typical
> occurrence."

Fine, but dull. And no more nor less grammatical than the original.

Edward

Edward wrote:

> "nimue" <[email protected]> wrote...
>> Banty wrote:
>> > Brian Jones says...

>> > alt.tv.er
>> >
>> > I trust you both are literate enough to have understood
>> > it.
>>
>> People can understand it, just like people can understand what their toddlers are saying.
>> However, a truly literate person would never write a sentence like that.
>
> Bollocks. It is a correctly and euphoniously constructed,

<critic>

Euphonious? Nonsense. It blunders across the screen without cadence or meter.

</critic>

>> It's not a clear, well-constructed sentence. Try "Only one example can be found, and this example
>> is 17 years old! This clearly is not a typical occurrence."
>
> Fine, but dull. And no more nor less grammatical than the original.

<editor>

I don't think it is fine, as the first sentence is two sentences. How about:

"That all they can point to is a single example, from all the way back to 1984, bears pretty good
witness that this is an atypical occurrence."

Note the use of proper phrase ordering, and commas to set off an apositive, which make the sentence
read clearly.

</editor>

--
-Wayne

The carbon unit with the designation "Wayne S. Hill" <[email protected]> massaged some electrons with
the result: news:<[email protected]>...
> Edward wrote:

> >> People can understand it, just like people can understand what their toddlers are saying.
> >> However, a truly literate person would never write a sentence like that.
> >
> > Bollocks. It is a correctly and euphoniously constructed,
>
> <critic>
>
> Euphonious? Nonsense. It blunders across the screen without cadence or meter.
>
> </critic>

Euphony is in the ear of the beholder.

Edward

> That a single example from all the way back to 1984 is all they can point to is pretty good
> witness to the fact that this is an atypical occurance.

There's 2 or 3 a year in the US. However, these are so rare, that do make news. The last several
running deaths have been women who drink too much water. Dilutes the eletrolytes and can through the
heart out of wack.