I turn my pedals but the chain does not move... Money to spend..

nigelmay

Oct 9, 2006
[My shopping list]
-crank set
-chain
-back derailer
-front derailer?
-bike computer
-new hand grips, I’ve got gears in the grips near towards the centre; I rotate for up and down... both grips. I think I have seven at the back and 3 at the crank set.the right one does the back derailer (s?)
-New brake leavers.
-New inner tubes and green belt protection.

Hello

Here is my situation.

I bought a Sarcen BackTrak off eBay a few years ago, around £150; it came with some suspension front forkes(pretty desent), nice handle bars. Since then I’ve spent a lot of money on it, its really funny how that can happen, I bought two really good wheels, good seat, post, tyres more I expect.

I have between £100 and £200 to spend on fixing my bike, I want to do it up really nice and then know I have my bike back, My bike was very important to me before, I’ve since had to walk to work for a number of months its just not the same.

I’m not a bike engineer so I am a little lost, for instance. I was looking at this.

Main grouping
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=crankset

Item of interest
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Hollo...QQihZ020QQcategoryZ109118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I counted the number of teeth on the large round plate thingy and it has 38, Id like to make that bigger or more so I can go faster, sorry for sounding like kid here but is that possible.

There are lots of warnings about compatability. what are the main ones to worry about?

How hard is it to change a crank set, what is the name of the tool needed to change a crank set? Can I down load instructions.

I’m going to take pictures of my bike tonight and then upload them so you guys can take a look and tell me.

Either--
Dude throw your bike in the bin.
Or keep all the bits and buy a new frame.

Do new frames come with crank sets?

Will be back online tomorrow at 8:30am..

I want to save as much money as I can and do the work myself, I don’t have much money but I do for my bike as it gets me to work.

Thank you every one.

You (apparently) have a mountain bike. Why do you want to go faster? Do you plan to ride it on the road?

Do some research and you'll answer most of your own questions. Then we can get more specific. :cool:

What brand is your gear groupset? Does it say anything on the derailleurs or gear shifts?

nigelmay said:
[My shopping list]
-crank set
-chain
-back derailer
-front derailer?
-bike computer
-new hand grips, I’ve got gears in the grips near towards the centre; I rotate for up and down... both grips. I think I have seven at the back and 3 at the crank set.the right one does the back derailer (s?)
-New brake leavers.
-New inner tubes and green belt protection.

Hello

Here is my situation.

I bought a Sarcen BackTrak off eBay a few years ago, around £150; it came with some suspension front forkes(pretty desent), nice handle bars. Since then I’ve spent a lot of money on it, its really funny how that can happen, I bought two really good wheels, good seat, post, tyres more I expect.

I have between £100 and £200 to spend on fixing my bike, I want to do it up really nice and then know I have my bike back, My bike was very important to me before, I’ve since had to walk to work for a number of months its just not the same.

I’m not a bike engineer so I am a little lost, for instance. I was looking at this.

Main grouping
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=crankset

Item of interest
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Hollowtech-II-HONE-Mountain-Bike-Crankset-NEW06_W0QQitemZ300034724235QQihZ020QQcategoryZ109118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I counted the number of teeth on the large round plate thingy and it has 38, Id like to make that bigger or more so I can go faster, sorry for sounding like kid here but is that possible.

There are lots of warnings about compatability. what are the main ones to worry about?

How hard is it to change a crank set, what is the name of the tool needed to change a crank set? Can I down load instructions.

I’m going to take pictures of my bike tonight and then upload them so you guys can take a look and tell me.

Either--
Dude throw your bike in the bin.
Or keep all the bits and buy a new frame.

Do new frames come with crank sets?

Will be back online tomorrow at 8:30am..

I want to save as much money as I can and do the work myself, I don’t have much money but I do for my bike as it gets me to work.

Thank you every one.
To go faster increase your cadence, not your chainring size.
Pedalling too slowly in too high a gear is a mistake that nearly all beginners make.