I want a new fork.. I have an X-Vert R

mark_kendrick

Jul 20, 2004
I have an X-Vert R and I'm thinking that after 4yrs it's time for some new technology.

I'm 6'2" weigh 255 and have 100mm of travel. I ride hard XC.

I think I want ~120mm of travel and a little less weight in the fork. Xvert R = 4.8 lbs.

I've been looking at the Marzocchi 04 MX pro ETA 120mm. It can be had reasonably.

I like the features on the Fox's but the prices are a bit scary.

I haven't looked into the Rock Shox yet.

I'm really happy with my manitou so far but am a bit miffed at them because I was gonna have the LBS rebuild it and manitou doesn't stock parts for any older forks.. their answer was upgrade which gets me leaning toward anyone but them. I tend to keep things a while and servicability is important.

Thanks,
Mark

ive been told that the marzochis are really good forks, but expensive for rebuild parts. im looking in to a fox, they are expensive but from what my research has shown you get what you pay for.. most of the lighter high end rock shocks get crappy ratings for torsional rigidity, and for a rider your size (my size 6'2' 235) a flimsy fork is a recipy for disaster.. the fox my run 450 - 700 depending on model but for me id rather pay the money and be comfortable that i have quality hardware..

I agree. The good equipment is worth the piece of mind.

I really like my DC but nobody makes a light weight DC fork that I can find. I keep thinking that a new SC for just about has to flex more than my x-vert. I don't want to take a step back.

I've been contemplating a 29er and the biggest issue there is a lack of good forks.

Later,
MK

mark_kendrick said:
Someone has to have an opinion!!
Unless it was free, I would not put anything on my bike except a Marzocchi, and I still would sell the free fork and buy a marzocchi!!
And they are probably the easiest to re-build in my opinion (and I have re-built many).
Just my opinion, but they are stronger, better, more tuneable & serviceable and the only thing to me that does not feel like a flexy pogo stick. Inside and out the parts are nicer, better in initial quality and last longer while taking more abuse. I have ridden for fun and in competition with almost every other fork out there, past and present, and have had many fail under what I would call normal riding conditions. Never have any of my many Marzocchi failed me, and my QR20 single-crown/long-travel fork that gets the most abuse at the skate park and dirt jumps is going on it's 4th year and only one re-build (I only wanted heavier springs and heavier oil for bigger drops, that is all I did to it, no seals or any other parts and it has never leaked or anything).
--Just my two cents!

socalfeltrider said:
Unless it was free, I would not put anything on my bike except a Marzocchi, and I still would sell the free fork and buy a marzocchi!!
And they are probably the easiest to re-build in my opinion (and I have re-built many).
Just my opinion, but they are stronger, better, more tuneable & serviceable and the only thing to me that does not feel like a flexy pogo stick. Inside and out the parts are nicer, better in initial quality and last longer while taking more abuse. I have ridden for fun and in competition with almost every other fork out there, past and present, and have had many fail under what I would call normal riding conditions. Never have any of my many Marzocchi failed me, and my QR20 single-crown/long-travel fork that gets the most abuse at the skate park and dirt jumps is going on it's 4th year and only one re-build (I only wanted heavier springs and heavier oil for bigger drops, that is all I did to it, no seals or any other parts and it has never leaked or anything).
--Just my two cents!
Which Marzocchi do you have?
thx,
mk