I want all my gears to work!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by joolsfools, Jun 16, 2004.

1. joolsfools

joolsfools New Member

I've recently bought a Saracen Ikon with Shimano Tourney 21 speed gears. The front derailleur works OK, but the rear one is causing me a problem.

When I shift from the smallest gear nothing happens on the first click and from then on the others work OK until I get to the largest. As I'm a click short of a full set (ahem) I've run out of clicks and can't get onto the largest gear.

There appear to be three adjusting screws on the derailleur, but I'm unsure of their purpose.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers Dave.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

If it's new and you bought it from a shop,take it back and have it adjusted properly. It's most likely cable tension being too loose. The screws are not the answer, as there is also a cable tension adjuster on the bask of the derailer. www.parktool.com has the how to on adjustment in the repair section.

3. joolsfools

joolsfools New Member

Hi boudreaux

It is quite new and I'm thinking of taking it back, but I'd like to learn how to repair it myself if possible. I'll check out parktool.
    Thanks.

Dave.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

The Park site and the works of Sheldon Brown at www.harriscyclery.com are free.The Zinn Mantenance book is only about $20.

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Souds like your cable tension adjustments. There should be one on the on cable near the shifter and one near the the rear gear cassett. Too tight maybe.

6. tacomee

tacomee New Member

Take it back to shop and try and get the tech to show you what's wrong with it and how to fix it next time it happens. Do you know to release the brakes? How to change a tube? I'd try to learn a little about your bike and then use the internet to start to learn about bikes in general.