General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I want my money!

Started by Terry R. McConnell · · Last activity · 3 posts · 310 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 December 2004
Last activity
29 December 2004
Original author
Terry R. McConnell
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
310
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My workout today included a cross training segment of 500 Kcal on a precor
    556i (elliptical trainer.) I like this machine. It is elegant and well made,
    and I especially like the fact that it is standalone: there is no electrical
    cord, because part of the energy the user provides powers the
    machine's electronics. There is something appealing about having some
    fraction of my power output harnessed for a (slightly) useful
    purpose instead of being wasted as heat.

    Of course, I'm sure there is still quite a bit of waste, since
    my power output is more than sufficient to light up few leds. Wouldn't
    it be great if some exercise machine of the future were able to convert all
    of that lost effort into a few grains of some valuable substance, gold
    perhaps, which we could later redeem for money? Exercisers of that era might
    always carry a small satchel tied around their waist to collect the nuggets
    until there is enough to bother cashing out.

    A romantic image, but we already have the technology to fully reward me for
    my effort! There is a law on the books that requires power companies to buy
    power from their customers if they produce it. If you can produce enough
    power, say from a backyard windmill, to spin the power company's meter
    backwards, then at the end of the month they owe you money. Why couldn't
    Precor or some other company produce a machine with a cord, but one through
    which the trickle of power produced by the user is fed back into the power
    lines? Imagine it. You swipe your credit card when you mount the machine,
    and at the end of your workout your account is credited for the few pennies
    worth of power you pumped onto the grid.

    Listen up Precor and Niagara Mohawk: I want my money! It's no more than
    fair.

    Come to think of it though, this fairness thing, if properly implemented,
    ought to include some accounting for the additional resources (oxygen, e.g,)
    I consumed during my workout, above and beyond what I would have used
    had I been, say, sitting quietly at my desk, with perhaps a small fine for the
    extra waste products I produced (carbon dioxide, etc.)

    Taken to an extreme, in conjunction with unlimited technological monitoring
    capability, the whole idea of fairness becomes a bit scary. In the
    future you might be implanted with an electronic device that
    monitors your consumption of _everything_ and adjusts your account
    accordingly. Why limit the monitoring to physical things? It is
    conceivable your mental state could be monitored, with payments or deductions
    based upon how it compares with some baseline state - the state you are in,
    say, when sitting at a busstop staring blankly at the curbing.

    Allowed yourself a moment of elation during your walk to work on a nice Spring
    day? It'll cost you. After all, you should expect to pay for what you get
    out of life. It's no more than fair.

    --
    ************************************************************************
    Terry R. McConnell Mathematics/215 Carnegie/Syracuse, N.Y. 13244-1150
    [email hidden] 229B Physics Bldg http://barnyard.syr.edu/~tmc
    ************************************************************************

  2. Terry R. McConnell said:

    My workout today included a cross training segment of 500 Kcal on a precor
    556i (elliptical trainer.) I like this machine. It is elegant and well made,
    and I especially like the fact that it is standalone: there is no electrical
    cord, because part of the energy the user provides powers the
    machine's electronics. There is something appealing about having some
    fraction of my power output harnessed for a (slightly) useful
    purpose instead of being wasted as heat.

    I thought of this too a while back, when I saw stationary bikes that were
    powered like this (haven't seen it on an elliptical though!)

    I was thinking it would be a good way to power our laptops, so we can still
    post to rec.running if there's ever an energy crisis (-;

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  3. (Terry R. McConnell) said:

    My workout today included a cross training segment of 500 Kcal on a precor
    556i (elliptical trainer.) I like this machine. It is elegant and well made,
    and I especially like the fact that it is standalone: there is no electrical
    cord, because part of the energy the user provides powers the
    machine's electronics. There is something appealing about having some
    fraction of my power output harnessed for a (slightly) useful
    purpose instead of being wasted as heat.


    <SNIP>

    Damn, that brings back memories. Back when I was a kid, my Dad read an article in Popular Science about making kids
    generate their own power to curb their TV addiction. He promptly went to work converting an old beach cruiser and a 3HP
    electric motor into a stationary bike generator. If we wanted to watch TV we had to work hard for it. I remember that
    old RCA TV took like 3 minutes just to warm up. Thank goodness he didn't have an old treadmill..........

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.