I want my money!

Terry R. McConnell

Guest
My workout today included a cross training segment of 500 Kcal on a precor
556i (elliptical trainer.) I like this machine. It is elegant and well made,
and I especially like the fact that it is standalone: there is no electrical
cord, because part of the energy the user provides powers the
machine's electronics. There is something appealing about having some
fraction of my power output harnessed for a (slightly) useful
purpose instead of being wasted as heat.

Of course, I'm sure there is still quite a bit of waste, since
my power output is more than sufficient to light up few leds. Wouldn't
it be great if some exercise machine of the future were able to convert all
of that lost effort into a few grains of some valuable substance, gold
perhaps, which we could later redeem for money? Exercisers of that era might
always carry a small satchel tied around their waist to collect the nuggets
until there is enough to bother cashing out.

A romantic image, but we already have the technology to fully reward me for
my effort! There is a law on the books that requires power companies to buy
power from their customers if they produce it. If you can produce enough
power, say from a backyard windmill, to spin the power company's meter
backwards, then at the end of the month they owe you money. Why couldn't
Precor or some other company produce a machine with a cord, but one through
which the trickle of power produced by the user is fed back into the power
lines? Imagine it. You swipe your credit card when you mount the machine,
and at the end of your workout your account is credited for the few pennies
worth of power you pumped onto the grid.

Listen up Precor and Niagara Mohawk: I want my money! It's no more than
fair.

Come to think of it though, this fairness thing, if properly implemented,
ought to include some accounting for the additional resources (oxygen, e.g,)
I consumed during my workout, above and beyond what I would have used
had I been, say, sitting quietly at my desk, with perhaps a small fine for the
extra waste products I produced (carbon dioxide, etc.)

Taken to an extreme, in conjunction with unlimited technological monitoring
capability, the whole idea of fairness becomes a bit scary. In the
future you might be implanted with an electronic device that
monitors your consumption of _everything_ and adjusts your account
accordingly. Why limit the monitoring to physical things? It is
conceivable your mental state could be monitored, with payments or deductions
based upon how it compares with some baseline state - the state you are in,
say, when sitting at a busstop staring blankly at the curbing.

Allowed yourself a moment of elation during your walk to work on a nice Spring
day? It'll cost you. After all, you should expect to pay for what you get
out of life. It's no more than fair.

Terry R. McConnell Mathematics/215 Carnegie/Syracuse, N.Y. 13244-1150
[email protected] 229B Physics Bldg http://barnyard.syr.edu/~tmc

On 2004-12-29, Terry R. McConnell <[email protected]> wrote:
> My workout today included a cross training segment of 500 Kcal on a precor
> 556i (elliptical trainer.) I like this machine. It is elegant and well made,
> and I especially like the fact that it is standalone: there is no electrical
> cord, because part of the energy the user provides powers the
> machine's electronics. There is something appealing about having some
> fraction of my power output harnessed for a (slightly) useful
> purpose instead of being wasted as heat.

I thought of this too a while back, when I saw stationary bikes that were
powered like this (haven't seen it on an elliptical though!)

I was thinking it would be a good way to power our laptops, so we can still
post to rec.running if there's ever an energy crisis (-;

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

On 29 Dec 2004 22:35:31 GMT, [email protected] (Terry R. McConnell) wrote:

>My workout today included a cross training segment of 500 Kcal on a precor
>556i (elliptical trainer.) I like this machine. It is elegant and well made,
>and I especially like the fact that it is standalone: there is no electrical
>cord, because part of the energy the user provides powers the
>machine's electronics. There is something appealing about having some
>fraction of my power output harnessed for a (slightly) useful
>purpose instead of being wasted as heat.

<SNIP>

Damn, that brings back memories. Back when I was a kid, my Dad read an article in Popular Science about making kids
generate their own power to curb their TV addiction. He promptly went to work converting an old beach cruiser and a 3HP
electric motor into a stationary bike generator. If we wanted to watch TV we had to work hard for it. I remember that
old RCA TV took like 3 minutes just to warm up. Thank goodness he didn't have an old treadmill..........