I want skinnier legs.

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by wolfgang, Jul 1, 2004.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

What's the best way to ride if you don't want to make your legs bigger? Basically, I don't want to make my legs more bulky with muscle. Genetically, I have big leg bones and a fair bit of muscle in my legs. I'm also a little overweight, so my legs are pretty large and I've always been self-conscious about them.

I think I should do this: ride low gears at high cadences in order to get more aerobic exercise rather than resistance. Also, I need to control my eating. Any other suggestions?

I currently do a three-hour ride mixed with flats and climbs every other evening.

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

Your body will respond to how you ride. You won't be able to train without gaining a bit of muscle mass. What you will lose gradually is the fat around that muscle. You won't be dissapointed when you realise what your legs will look like once you are well trained!
    If you don't want big legs in proportion to the rest of you then you picked the wrong sport!
    My point of view is that I don't care if my legs are as big as a house, as long as I get faster its fine by me.

3. Marx SS

Marx SS New Member

Isn't 'cyclist legs' a badge of honour?
    My GF loves the fact that I ride heaps.

(cuts down the fat too incidently, cycle more & you won't have the "I'm a little overweight" problem)

4. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Well, even the best cyclists don't have legs as big as mine. Now, I mean big in a bad way. I wouldn't mind having cyclist's legs, as mine have a layer of fat around them and it makes all my pants tight in the legs. Call me vain.

5. Geonz

Geonz New Member

I suspect that they'll slim down as the fat gets worked off.

Some seriously non-expert advice: It would also make sense that just as weightlifting big weightgs adds more bulk than, say, swimming, so I'd go for not pushing hard up hills in high gears but leaning towards spinning.

6. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Utter silliness. You just aren't going to build big[er] legs from cycling, whether it's high cadence/low force or low cadence/high force.

No offense, but by your own admission, it sounds like you have fat legs. When you aren't overweight, you aren't going to have to worry about your legs being a detraction. Also, if you are vain, why have you let yourself become overweight?

By the way, to the point about this sport creating leg-heavy athletes... uh, yeah, but largely because the upper bodies are spindly and waify! Most cyclists legs, if unshaved, look like normal-sized, muscular legs.

7. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

No offense taken, Aztec. It's true I have fat legs, but even when I'm slim they're still a bit large. It just seems to me that, like Geonz says, if you're pushing high gears at low speeds, then the resistance is like doing weight training on your legs, which would add muscle bulk. I just don't want to make my legs bulkier than they really are. I guess the best thing to do is just ride lots and hopefully the aerobic activity, along with diet, will get rid of my fat. Thanks.

8. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Don't worry about big gears at low cadence building muscle. It's nothing like weight training. On a bike you are doing thousands of reps instead of 5 to maybe 20 reps. You don't see a lot of lifters doing 1000 rep squats!

You'll be fine.

9. travis200

travis200 New Member

I have always had big thighs from lifting alot in my early 20's but since I started riding more and less lifting my legs have slimmed down a bit but they are not skinny I think it is genetic in some way.