I want to buy a new bike, but...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Xeys, May 27, 2003.

1. Xeys

Xeys New Member

I would like to buy a new road bike, but am concerned about what to get... I just don't know. I keep hearing that "Steel is real", but it seems somewhat pricy. I have heard about TI, but still more pricy. I currently ride a Giant OCR3, and the shifting of the sti sora components is driving me INSANE. it NEVER stays where it's supposed to, sometimes leaving me to say **** it and ride in an uncomfortable gear... After learning that I may not be able to do triathlons due to recurring injuries as far as running goes, I have decided to focus on riding a road bike without aerobars, and so I'm not looking for a Tri bike, but a good overall performer. I'd like not to spend more than 1500 for this bike. I have seen Fuji bikes on the web that you can buy over the internet, but am concerned as to if it's a good bike or not. One I was looking at was the 2002 Motobecane Le Champion Team Road Bike. Also would like suggestions. I am 5 foot 5 inches, 175 pounds, and I like to get out of the saddle on long climbs... Would like to eventually do about 200 miles a week... I just tell a bit about me so you might mate my frame and such against what I might be getting.
    Can someone tell me if it is good or isn't? Thanks very much for your time.

Tags:

2. climbo

climbo New Member

GO TO A BIKE SHOP. You will never get all the advice you need on a forum. Bikes have to be sized properly and fitted to your needs. There are hundreds of bikes out there, you get what you pay for. Go to many shops and look around, ask questions, test ride them. You can get a very nice bike for $1,500.

3. xavier

xavier New Member

You are going to have to get on some bikes and measure them to get an idea of what you need.

DO NOT go to websites with formulas telling you what size to ride. I have found all these to be inaccurate in many cases and people end up buying from these sites because it looks like they are experts. Far from the truth.

Once you have an idea then you can shop around anywhere.

Being 5'5" like me I can tell you for sure tpo tube lenght will be a big issue. I see too many shops put smaller guys like us on bikes that are far too long and that realy gets me angry.

One way to feel sure about the shop is to ask many questions. Any shop not knwing anything will surely not be able to answer your questions.

Also beware in buying from discount sites online as most of these do not know anything about bikes and just ship you direct from some warehouse. These usually carry no waranty or service.

4. Brogar3

Brogar3 New Member

Go to bike shops, but go to a lot of them, most dealers only focus on one or two brands and will sell the heck out of them trying to get your purchasing dollar. Lemond and Bianchi both offer some great rides for under the $1500 mark you set. Bianchi offers a lot of steel frames, while Lemond has both. Lemond has a longer top tube and is built for generally taller riders so they may not apply for you. Campy parts offer great reliability even at the introductory level groups. Definitely find a shop to size you, manay places offer that service for a small fee, and some will do it for free if you are planning on purchasing a bike through them. Take bikes out for rides and see what feels best. Take your time and find the bike that feels right.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

As the previous posts mentioned, try it before you but it.

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve New Member

You can get the Motobecane Le Champion w/ full Dura-Ace for around $1500 in Houston. I have never ridden one but I rode with a guy who had one and he really liked it. I really don't think that you can find anything that is equipped that well for that price. Go check one out!

Scuba

7. Babbar

Babbar New Member

I echo the advice to go to a bike shop. Nothing beats hands on. Also, don't forget Fuji bikes. The Rubaix has full 105 components for arount $1200. Don't forget, you'll probably have to get pedals and shoes, and that can set you back another $125 at the very low end to over $400 at the high end.