I want to dump 2 months salary... Why should I ask you?

dgregory57

Jul 11, 2005
I am posting this in an attempt to satisfy my curiosity without disrupting someone else's thread seeking advice on picking a bike.

Before a flame war erupts, I do not wish to discourage those of you who want to spend your money on high end bikes... I fully support free enterprise, and know there are reasons for spending more on a bike than I would care to spend. I am simply curious.

I understand that when one is looking to drop a couple of months salary on $80 worth of carbon fiber, rubber, plastic and various metal alloys that one should gain as much useful information as possible. However, when one takes their question to the masses and gets opinions from a few dozen anonymous people, does this actually make the decision easier?

Has anyone ever received advice that was truly valuable other than "ride the bikes in your price range and pick the one you like the most," or something similar?

BTW - For full disclosure, I will never spend more than a week's salary on a bike... I make a good living, and I have no interest in racing either. This combination makes this a very easy policy to follow.

OK........ Not sure where you are going here, but any thread involving the query "What is the best bike, saddle, shoe, pedal, etc " is pretty meaningless, much like asking someone their preferance for wine, women and food (no in that order...). This foum is great for technical issues, but issues of personal preference don't really float my boat.

What was your point again?

I am just trying to figure out why so many people are compelled to run their decisions past everyone else when it is such an issue of taste.

dgregory57 said:
I am just trying to figure out why so many people are compelled to run their decisions past everyone else when it is such an issue of taste.
People hate buyers remorse. People are also lazy and don't want to do their homework. Add those two things together and this is what you get....

I just bought a new bike last Friday. I read a bunch of stuff on here, and elsewhere. I also rode a bunch of bikes. I rode a bunch of stuff, and it came down to a first impression/gut reaction. I ended up getting a Felt F55 (an '05) after riding a bunch of other "better" stuff (specalized/lightspeed/Felt/trek). The new ride is an AL/Carbon mix with DuraAce (10 speed) and FSA carbon cranks. 16 Lbs 9oz without pedals. It was about $1700. For the price and the components, I don't think I could have done better. I had a budget of a several hundred more than that ($2500), but I like the ride of that one best. It just fit my riding style. (I also liked the full carbon specalized roubaix a lot). Out the door price with tax, pedals, saddle bag, tubes, cages and bunches of misc. stuff, $2000. It's a rocketship!!!

L

dgregory57 said:

Comfort level. Group mentality. Reams of psycho babble written about that topic. When someone comes and says "What do 'y'all think of the Zenon 349 with full DA?" what they really mean is "I saw this bike I really want to buy but I don't have the balls to do it without someone else saying I should do it." Reckon it's human nature to have your decisions validated by others. Personally, I feel if you do your research properly you end up making more sound decisions regardless of what others say. The vast majority of people buy things based on others. Wht do you think Trek pays Lance gazillions of dollars? So some poor cat 5 shlub will walk into their local bike shop and buy a Trek "just like Lance rides". Marketing baby.

capwater said:
Hey Lonnie, nice pic of Henry Rollins!
Thanks!

I agree with what you said too. The part I left out of my post was, I never posted on here "I'm thinking about these bikes, which one should I get?" Why, because the folks at the LBS were really great and patient with me (I must have rode 15-20 bikes), answered all my questions and didn't pressure (or try to upsale) me into getting something I didn't want. I bet I could have gotten a slightly better deal somewhere, but I'm willing to pay for their time helping me and service.

L

I'm a firm believer that if you have to ask, you already know the answer to your question.

That answer works in regards to whether or not you should ask the question as well.

And yes, that is great advice for most people.

Well, a few of you have confirmed what I thought, and that is that some people need that little extra push once they have pretty much made up their minds. Especially when a person is stretching their means, whether for a $1,000 bike or a $6,000 bike, it does help to know that someone else doesn't think you are wasting your money.

So, now I guess I'll go buy the.....

Wait! I'm not buying anything! :D

But, the validation feels good anyway!

The conclusion you think you have come too is inconclusive. People don't look for validation or a little push just because they are stretching their means. People maybe looking for other options, alternatives or better solutions to maximize their goal more efficiently. Not every one cares what other people think.

dgregory57 said:
Well, a few of you have confirmed what I thought, and that is that some people need that little extra push once they have pretty much made up their minds. Especially when a person is stretching their means, whether for a $1,000 bike or a $6,000 bike, it does help to know that someone else doesn't think you are wasting your money.

So, now I guess I'll go buy the.....

Wait! I'm not buying anything! :D

But, the validation feels good anyway!

OscarC said:
The conclusion you think you have come too is inconclusive. People don't look for validation or a little push just because they are stretching their means. People maybe looking for other options, alternatives or better solutions to maximize their goal more efficiently. Not every one cares what other people think.

I completely agree. I've never asked for buying advice here, but if I would, it would be because I had done my research, talked to the people I'm connected to, and then posed the question here in case I suddenly hear about 50 stories from the field that indicate that the wonderful bike I’m about to buy has an issue with the bottom bracket cracking after 2000 km of riding (or whatever).

Everything on a forum has to be taken with a grain of salt. Argumentatively, why not just shut down the forum, go ride our bikes, and become social introverts?

I think there are a lot of kind people with a wealth of knowledge for the sharing here, and personally, I will take people's opinion with a grain of salt, but still use it as something to consider.

At minimum, it does no harm to ask a question about purchase here.

let's see...you can either only take the advice of magazines and pro athletes and sales people that are ALL paid by the companies you are interested in or discuss your options with other bikers that have experience with the components, bikes, accessories, etc. that you are interested in. i can't try on all the shoes, shorts, HRMs, etc. that i am interested in. i can't demo a crankset and see if it will hold up over time, and i certainly can't demo 20-30 bikes in order to narrow down my selection.

other people's opinions are valuable. i appreciate being warned off if a particular bike i'm looking at has a terrible problem with chain suck, poor customer service, or is much better than advertised in spite of the low "big name" factor.

another thing that getting opinions does is make you spend a little more money than you intended...which can be a good thing. for instance, if i hadn't listened to other people, i would still be wearing low-end bike shorts, riding crappy mtn bike tires, etc. now that i've spent a bit extra on bits and parts that offer a lot more bang, i'm glad i researched my options.

on the flip side, i've often been warned that paying X dollars for this component is stupid because it's less reliable and totally not worth the weight savings.

just my $.02

dgregory57 said:
Well, a few of you have confirmed what I thought.... <snip>
Well, there's your answer right there. People get an idea and post to either help confirm what they already believe, or find out if someone else knows something they hadn't considered -- just like you did here. Nothing wrong with it.

frenchyge said:
Well, there's your answer right there. People get an idea and post to either help confirm what they already believe, or find out if someone else knows something they hadn't considered -- just like you did here. Nothing wrong with it.
I did not mean to say that there is necessarily anything wrong with posting the questions. I was just after confirmation that the opinions here are not necessarily expert opinions that should easily make or break any decision based on your research up to the point of asking... until you get to really trust specific members anyway.

I do see the value of getting additional opinions...

I think the "grain of salt" approach expressed earlier in the thread is worthy of making its way into any thread started by a newbie. After all, a newbie may not realize that the guy claiming to climb like a mountain goat could really be a marginal recreational rider that avoids hills with more than a 1% grade...

dgregory57 said:
I did not mean to say that there is necessarily anything wrong with posting the questions. I was just after confirmation that the opinions here are not necessarily expert opinions that should easily make or break any decision based on your research up to the point of asking... until you get to really trust specific members anyway.

I think the "grain of salt" approach expressed earlier in the thread is worthy of making its way into any thread started by a newbie. After all, a newbie may not realize that the guy claiming to climb like a mountain goat could really be a marginal recreational rider that avoids hills with more than a 1% grade...
I agree that it's hard to really understand one's credentials in a sport as diverse as cycling. There are some pretty knowledgeable folks here though, so I think some of the opinions are valid. You need to filter out some of the nonsense, but I find that there's a lot of usefull info as well.

2 months salary would get me a Cervelo Soloist Carbon all Dura Ace with Zipp 404's. But I'm already happy with my 2003 Soloist with HED 3's and a polar power output kit.

dgregory57 said:
Good question. Like Lonnie said, buyer's remorse. I think perhaps confidence or lack thereof as the type of poster that would ask such a question is most likely new and doesn't want to get the "wrong" bike or a lemon (not a Lemond!). They may erroneously think that we have all the answers.

Unfortunately, it would really take knowing someone before being able to make a good suggestion. The downside is the information offered in such posts are usually very cryptic at best and we can't determine with any degree of accuracy what the heck they need or don't need.

The downside to asking forum member's opinions as to what type of bike to buy (whether it's an expensive one or not) is that the vast majority of riders really like their bikes! I have 3 road bikes and an MTB and love them all. Each one has it's own special features but I'm very pleased with all of them. And so are most other people.

There may be some features or components a more seasoned rider would look for on a second purchase, for example. But even on my entry level Allez Sport I'm pleased as punch. Easy to satisfy I guess.

I think it's also fair to say that not too many of us would waste our time with Walmart bikes though so we're not going to be basing any of our suggestions on total ****. :D

Because it's fun! It's why we discuss religion, politics, sports, tell jokes etc... We're social animals for the most part, it's why forums exist. Just enjoy the exchange of ideas.

dgregory57 said:

Well if you hang around a forum like this you soon get to know the experts from the posers and trolls and I for one have learn't a lot. I did ask on a different forum for advice on buying a MTB and whilst I wasn't told what to buy I was alerted to issues I had no idea about and was then able to research these and finally get something that I'm very happy with.

The bottom line is we are here because we are obsessed with bikes and all our real friends are bored with bike talk so we find another outlet