I want to make a unicycle seat cover

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by James_Potter, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    what is a good material to make one out of?
    its for my coker, for long distance rides. I have a duct tape seat
    cover right now, and its pretty decent. but as you can probably
    figure, its not the most comfortable thing in the world :)
    I did a search which brought up lots of pictures, but it didn't really
    say what any were made out of....
    so, what material is strong and comfy and durable?

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

    mikael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  2. Yeah I would like to know such knowledge too, I'm going to end up having
    to make a new seatcover for my 26" coker. THe old one is falling apart.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    I do not believe in computer programers.
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    "If I am ever that good I will be in a constant state of crapping my
    pants." ~ koebwil

  3. habbywall

    habbywall Guest

    make an airseat with like fur stuff for the cover, of fake fur if your
    for that whole animal rights thing

    --
    habbywall

    'Nick.Jantz' (http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com)
    not using punctuation since 1956
    PM about advertising here! kristine did it! you should too!
    I LOVE JONNY-HE'S SOOOOOOOOO COOOOL
    '\"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

  4. forrestunifreak wrote:
    > Yeah I would like to know such knowledge too, I'm going to end up having
    > to make a new seatcover for my 26" coker. THe old one is falling apart.

    ...26" coker?

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'
    officially ended - currently in the process of preparing it for my free
    webspace.
    :cool:
    'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  5. vincelemay

    vincelemay Guest

    I have home-made seat cover on my muni and coker, both are made of
    nylon, similar to the old Roach's cover. It's pretty durable, and come
    in a variety of colors. I'm riding with those for three years now,
    without major wear. Just make good seams because that's habitually the
    weak point.

    --
    vincelemay
    vincelemay's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5812

  6. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    one of my non uni friends suggested that you could sort of make a um how
    do i say this? i know a seat bag i think he said to cut out the shapes
    that you need then sew them to gether and make an elastic band arouund
    at the bottom

    --
    dan de man

    when reality bites bite it back,hard
    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

  7. I've made a few covers out of vinyl. It wears well and is easy to work
    with. I have a pattern that fits a Miyata or stock Coker seatbase. If
    anyone needs a copy of the pattern, I can email it to you.

    --
    Krashin'Kenny

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!
    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  8. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    i went to the fabric shop and got the heaviest (highest threadcount)
    nylon i could find. i made a pattern from an old KH seat cover (PM me
    if you'd like a copy) and cut the nylon just a bit larger than the
    pattern.

    when sewing the cover, make sure to use a coarse stitch (less stitches
    per inch), otherwise you'll be perforating the fabric and it will tear
    at the seam quite easily. if you have access to a surger (it
    quadruple-stitches and trims the seam all at once) use that... it'll
    make the strongest seam. otherwise, use a coarse zig-zag stitch and
    stitch each seam twice (go back over it) to make sure it never rips.

    if you're not sewing a channel through which to run the laces, use
    grommets to reinforce the holes in your cover. just cutting a hole in
    fabric (even if it's doubled over) never lasts very long, especially
    when the laces are held under tension.

    post some pics when you're done! my seat cover looks like frankenstein
    right now, so i'm not posting until version 2 is done :)

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  9. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    i just used an old kh seat cover(one of the perones thats stappled in)
    to cover the seat i just cut down...but i just used one layer of duct
    tape covered by a layer of electrical tape...grungy but effective.

    --
    trials_uni

    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!