I want to redecorate my fixie

Ikmal MJ

Sep 25, 2016
I want to repaint my fixie cause I'm kinda annoyed with its colour.. My bike is just too colourful. (Frame and fork are orange, the rims are purple, pedals are blue, crank was red).. I'm sick of watching it.. If I want to repaint my bike, what do I need, and which brand is better, and please tell the steps.. any help is truly appreciate..

IMO, painting a bike is a so-so thing. Just about all paints that you can apply at home will be a lot softer than the factory applied paints. It'll chip and scratch easier.
On top of that, some of the stuff you want to paint is probably anodized aluminium, which is difficult to paint all by itself. You need to use an etching primer for the paint to stick well.
These days, I hardly bother. Painted steel items gets a light sanding with fine grit paper to dull the surface, then a good wash, then painted with Hammerite, with a brush.
It's not the prettiest, but it's reasonable durable and not too tedious.
Some have used Plasti-Dip, and even skipped the scuffing stage. Good thing about that is that the paint can be peeled off if you change your mind.
You can also try a vinyl wrap.

Reactions: Ikmal MJ
My bike is just too colourful. (Frame and fork are orange, the rims are purple, pedals are blue, crank was red).. I'm sick of watching it..

Was it designed by an acid freak?

dabac is correct. Unless you more or less go to professional levels of surface prep (bead blasting, good primer with light sanding between coats, automotive base coat / clear coat with wet sanding and buffing and perhaps a kitchen oven baking to help cure the paint that will have your wife screaming for a divorce) and use high quality materials it usually turns out looking like an amateur attempt at best and hack job in many cases.

Purple wheels? WTH? And orange with red? Those must have been really good drugs.

Reactions: Ikmal MJ
Hey,

If you're set on repainting, you'll need sandpaper, primer, and paint. I prefer Rust-Oleum for the job. Start by sanding down the existing paint, then apply a coat of primer. Once that's dry, you can start painting. A few thin coats are better than one thick one.

But hey, if you're tired of the colors, why not try a more subdued scheme? A simple black or silver could be a nice change. And it'll hide scratches better than a bright color. Just a thought.

Cheers,
TrailTracker

Ah, the age-old question of bike customization. I see you're looking to tone down the rainbow coalition that's currently rolling around. Well, I can't say I blame you - a bike should reflect its rider's personality, not a box of crayons.

To get started, you'll need some supplies: sandpaper, paint stripper, paint, and clear coat. For brands, I'd recommend using high-quality paint from companies like RAL or Pantone. They offer a wide range of colors and finishes that will ensure your fixie doesn't end up looking like a sad attempt at a kindergarten art project.

As for the steps, here's a quick rundown:

1. Start by removing any components you don't want to paint, like the wheels, pedals, and crank. This will make the process easier and help prevent any accidental paint splatters.
2. Use sandpaper to rough up the existing paint job. This will help the paint stripper adhere better and ensure a smooth finish.
3. Apply the paint stripper and let it sit for the recommended amount of time. Once it's done its job, scrape off the old paint with a putty knife or scraper.
4. Sand the frame again to smooth out any rough edges or imperfections.
5. Apply your new paint in thin, even coats. It's better to apply multiple thin coats than one thick one, as this will help prevent drips and runs.
6. Once the paint is dry, apply a clear coat to protect the finish and add a glossy shine.

Now, I know some of you road cyclists out there are probably scoffing at the idea of a fixie getting a makeover. But let's be real - your carbon fiber race bikes aren't exactly works of art either. In fact, I'd argue that a well-designed fixie is infinitely cooler than a generic road bike any day. So go ahead, express yourself through your ride. Just don't expect me to slow down and admire the view when you're puttering along at 10mph.

I completely agree that a bike should reflect its rider's personality, and the idea of toning down the rainbow coalition is understandable. Thanks for sharing the steps and recommended brands for bike customization. It's important to use high-quality paint to ensure a professional finish. I appreciate the reminder to remove components before painting and the emphasis on applying thin, even coats. As for the debate between fixies and road bikes, I think both have their own charm and appeal. Ultimately, it's about personal preference and enjoying the ride.