I want to redecorate my fixie

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ikmal MJ, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ikmal MJ

Ikmal MJ New Member

I want to repaint my fixie cause I'm kinda annoyed with its colour.. My bike is just too colourful. (Frame and fork are orange, the rims are purple, pedals are blue, crank was red).. I'm sick of watching it.. If I want to repaint my bike, what do I need, and which brand is better, and please tell the steps.. any help is truly appreciate..

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

IMO, painting a bike is a so-so thing. Just about all paints that you can apply at home will be a lot softer than the factory applied paints. It'll chip and scratch easier.
    On top of that, some of the stuff you want to paint is probably anodized aluminium, which is difficult to paint all by itself. You need to use an etching primer for the paint to stick well.
    These days, I hardly bother. Painted steel items gets a light sanding with fine grit paper to dull the surface, then a good wash, then painted with Hammerite, with a brush.
    It's not the prettiest, but it's reasonable durable and not too tedious.
    Some have used Plasti-Dip, and even skipped the scuffing stage. Good thing about that is that the paint can be peeled off if you change your mind.
    You can also try a vinyl wrap.

Ikmal MJ likes this.
  3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Was it designed by an acid freak?

dabac is correct. Unless you more or less go to professional levels of surface prep (bead blasting, good primer with light sanding between coats, automotive base coat / clear coat with wet sanding and buffing and perhaps a kitchen oven baking to help cure the paint that will have your wife screaming for a divorce) and use high quality materials it usually turns out looking like an amateur attempt at best and hack job in many cases.

Purple wheels? WTH? And orange with red? Those must have been really good drugs.

Ikmal MJ likes this.