I want to start road racing... but first need your help. !

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by willfred, Sep 15, 2005.

1. willfred

willfred New Member

Hey all... this is my first post and it looks like im in the right place ... every one here looks like pro hehe

Anyways. I really wanted to start road racing just for fun however I know nothing about it heheheh :confused:

I ride a mountain bike I bought for 40dolars at wal mart so I guess you figured i dont really want to spent a lot of money hehe ....
    what tips do you guys have for beginners ?
    what is the best cost/benefit road bike around ?? is it better for me to buy a used bike ?
    what would be the best seat hight ??
    or anything els I should know hehe

thanks all ..... who ever helps me ill give you a candy .... :p

Tags:

2. Bikelux

Bikelux New Member

First thing you need to learn is that road racing is NOT fun :mad: Never smile, always look stern and serious and under NO circumstances wave to passing riders, especially riders with Wal mart bikes. If they wave to you, just ignore them.
    If you don't abide by this ...Then you're nothin but a lowly 'Fred'. :mad:

;) :D

3. willfred

willfred New Member

thanks for the tip hehe .... perhaps I said it wrong .... I want to start joy road bike riding. hehehe well thanks for the advice though... be rude to everybody ! who is fred ???

something I would like to say, is this a good bike ??Raleigh sport ??
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=231&va=0

for 450 dolars brand new ???

thanks yall ehehe have a good weekend

4. jyeager

jyeager New Member

WillFred, the quality of the bike makes all the difference. If you were to buy a good used bike you would be much better off for a given $ amount.

I suggest you buy used, and get as good a bike as you can afford. Don't forget to budget for the cycling shoes, shorts and helmet.
    It's very important the bike fit you.

So I'd go to your local bike shop and see what's available. Find out what size frame you need, buy your bike (from wherever) and then go back to the bike shop and pay their price to have it professionally fitted to you.

Good luck.

5. sooray02

sooray02 New Member

i don't know about the guy saying "road racing is not fun". i think it's a blast. of course, if i wasn't having fun, i would've picked something else besides cycling. anyway, especially long road race, sometimes you just cruise at slower pace and talk to other racers about whole lot of nothing and make jokes and eat food and drink. yeah, when the pace picks up, its a different story.

keep racing.. i got my ass kicked on my very first race.
    you get what you paid for. my first bike was a used bike. can't afford it.
    the citizen race (beginner), they don't mess around. you don't have the fitness, you'll be dropped in a heartbeat. stay up at the front.

enjoy