I was gobsmacked!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. This morning Nathan asked if his mate Adam could spend the day here (first of Easter hols from
    school). No problem at all. Nathan phoned his mate - what was agreed between them *without* any
    input from worry wart mother (me) :-

    Nathan cycled over to his mate's house (as usual wearing lid) and would he cycle back with his mate
    so they could spend the day here doing Warhammer & Game Cube. When they arrived back at Chateau
    Simmons, Nathan's mate was wearing a lid same as Nathan's new one. "Nice lid" I remarked. Mate says,
    "It's Nathan's spare - he brought it for me to wear." Nathan then said, "It's okay Mum, I adjusted
    the fit so it fitted Adam's head correctly." When I checked the fastenings, indeed they had been
    adjusted. Cor! The maternal bosums heaved. I was completely gobsmacked ;-) Then it was, "Dad... can
    you just check Adam's bike over, please, there's some movement on the bottom bracket and the pedals
    are a bit wobbly too."

    Nathan's mate is staying until a bit later when, under the suggestion of Nathan, we'll *all* be
    cycling back to Adam's - so he gets back okay and then the Unfit Family will be off on a *training
    ride*!!!!!!!!!

    Do you think the tenner I gave him for completing his first time trial on Wednesday night have had
    an incentive effect on his cycling??? ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    blimey - sounds like the time cycling came to Walton Mountain ;-)

    &
    > Game Cube. When they arrived back at Chateau Simmons, Nathan's mate was
    wearing
    > a lid same as Nathan's new one. "Nice lid" I remarked. Mate says, "It's Nathan's spare - he
    > brought it for me to wear." Nathan then said, "It's
    okay
    > Mum, I adjusted the fit so it fitted Adam's head correctly." When I
    checked the
    > fastenings, indeed they had been adjusted. Cor! The maternal bosums
    heaved. I
    > was completely gobsmacked ;-) Then it was, "Dad... can you just check
    Adam's
    > bike over, please, there's some movement on the bottom bracket and the
    pedals
    > are a bit wobbly too."
    >
    > Nathan's mate is staying until a bit later when, under the suggestion of Nathan, we'll *all* be
    > cycling back to Adam's - so he gets back okay and
    then
    > the Unfit Family will be off on a *training ride*!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Do you think the tenner I gave him for completing his first time trial on Wednesday night have had
    > an incentive effect on his cycling??? ;-)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Neil D

    Neil D Guest

    > Nathan's mate is staying until a bit later when, under the suggestion of Nathan, we'll *all* be
    > cycling back to Adam's - so he gets back okay and
    then
    > the Unfit Family will be off on a *training ride*!!!!!!!!!

    Well here is my Saturday for you: 3+ months off the bike (as you know), then 7 rides in the last
    three weeks, all on my winter bike. 30m progressing up to 52m max. So I thought; nice day, I'll use
    my good road bike and have a nice steady ride. I got carried away didn't I, chased a few riders etc.
    32m I punctured the front, so no time for a coffee break. 50m I started to feel rough after a stiff
    climb. 55m Grovelled over a short, stiff hill. 60m dying with bonk, but still keeping at 17.0 av.
    65m I stopped for a 10min break in last of the countryside, thinking... The last 4m is through local
    streets, don't want kids passing me. Finally, I "sprinted" up to my home looking strong, (so I
    thought). Little lad from up the street says, "hey mister, you look knackered". As if that wasn't
    enough, I'd done 69.3m, NOT a round 70m, and dropped to
    16.3 av. I should have known, a coffee and 4 fig roll wasn't enough for the ride.

    Still a smashing day and warm at last. Surprisingly I felt ok next day as well.

  4. >I got carried away didn't I, chased a few riders etc.

    You see, that's your problem - you are a *serious* cyclist. Whereas there is nothing remotely
    serious about mine at all, so mine is all fun :)

    Glad you got home in one piece!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    snip

    > Little lad from up the street says, "hey mister, you look knackered". As if that wasn't enough,
    > I'd done 69.3m, NOT a round 70m, and dropped to
    > 16.3 av.

    Bastard. Some of us can't manage that when we are fit -- let alone when we are unfit.

    :(

  6. Neil D

    Neil D Guest

    > >I got carried away didn't I, chased a few riders etc.
    >
    > You see, that's your problem - you are a *serious* cyclist. Whereas there
    is
    > nothing remotely serious about mine at all, so mine is all fun :)
    >
    > Glad you got home in one piece!
    >

    > > I got carried away didn't I, chased a few riders etc.

    I did resist the temptation to bark as I did it ;-)

    ps "Lost" your last ans, but yes, most walk groups are very supportive to youngsters. Alas, most
    groups up here are of an elderly/retired nature just now. Nothing wrong in that, but a more
    varied age range is better. And thanks for the offer, the last two weeks in June will do,
    (just joking).