I *was* going to cycle to work...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Brian Innes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    >I was going to cycle the 3.5 miles to work tomorrow, until I found tonight
    > tthat I have no where on my bike to fit my vistalight 5 led rear lamp, and
    > I also have misplaced the handlebar mount for my vistalight road toad
    > front lamp....
    >
    > Don't really need lights yet, just would prefer to have them mounted.
    >
    > Ho hum..
    >
    > --
    > Brian

    ....and ?

    Tags:

  2. "Brian Innes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > I was going to cycle the 3.5 miles to work tomorrow, until I found tonight
    > tthat I have no where on my bike to fit my vistalight 5 led rear lamp, and
    > I also have misplaced the handlebar mount for my vistalight road toad
    > front lamp....
    >
    > Don't really need lights yet, just would prefer to have them mounted.

    Trouble with light mountings is that you only need them for 5 months of the
    year, so they tend to get lost at the bottom a drawer for the remaining 7!

  3. soup

    soup Guest

    Brian Innes popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
    and said

    > Don't really need lights yet, just would prefer to have them mounted.

    So cycle in and home until you need/can afford lights.

    --
    yours S

  4. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Adrian
    Boliston <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >"Brian Innes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]

    >> I was going to cycle the 3.5 miles to work tomorrow, until I found tonight
    >> tthat I have no where on my bike to fit my vistalight 5 led rear lamp, and
    >> I also have misplaced the handlebar mount for my vistalight road toad
    >> front lamp....

    >Trouble with light mountings is that you only need them for 5 months of the
    >year, so they tend to get lost at the bottom a drawer for the remaining 7!

    Why take them off at all? Removing lamps to prevent them getting nicked
    makes sense, but why not just leave the mounts in place?

    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow.
    http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

  5. Brian Innes

    Brian Innes Guest

    I was going to cycle the 3.5 miles to work tomorrow, until I found tonight
    tthat I have no where on my bike to fit my vistalight 5 led rear lamp, and
    I also have misplaced the handlebar mount for my vistalight road toad
    front lamp....

    Don't really need lights yet, just would prefer to have them mounted.

    Ho hum..

    --
    Brian

  6. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:04:52 +0100, Pyromancer
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Adrian
    >Boliston <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >>"Brian Innes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:p[email protected]

    >>> I was going to cycle the 3.5 miles to work tomorrow, until I found tonight
    >>> tthat I have no where on my bike to fit my vistalight 5 led rear lamp, and
    >>> I also have misplaced the handlebar mount for my vistalight road toad
    >>> front lamp....

    >>Trouble with light mountings is that you only need them for 5 months of the
    >>year, so they tend to get lost at the bottom a drawer for the remaining 7!

    >Why take them off at all? Removing lamps to prevent them getting nicked
    >makes sense, but why not just leave the mounts in place?

    Yep - you need to be a real weight weenie to want rid of the 1" dia,
    collar of lightweight plastic...

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  7. David

    David Guest

    and your point is, caller ?

  8. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Adrian
    > Boliston <[email protected]> gently breathed:

    > >Trouble with light mountings is that you only need them for 5 months of the
    > >year, so they tend to get lost at the bottom a drawer for the remaining 7!

    > Why take them off at all? Removing lamps to prevent them getting nicked
    > makes sense, but why not just leave the mounts in place?

    I usually leave mine on all the time - brackets and lights. If I'm
    stopping somewhere I think the trike might get unwelcome attention, I'll
    take the lights themselves off and carry them with me, but I like to
    have them with me in case of a sudden disimprovement in weather
    conditions.

    --
    Carol
    "I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"

  9. On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 22:01:16 +0100, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote
    in message <1gkzyea.1o26y21tdl429N%[email protected]>:

    >> Why take them off at all? Removing lamps to prevent them getting nicked
    >> makes sense, but why not just leave the mounts in place?

    >I usually leave mine on all the time - brackets and lights.

    <aol>Me too</aol>

    Actually the thing which always concerns me most when I lock the bike
    up is some abstrad nicking the front wheel with its expensive hub
    dynamo.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  10. > Actually the thing which always concerns me most when I lock the bike
    > up is some abstrad nicking the front wheel with its expensive hub
    > dynamo.

    !

    You don't have another lock to secure the front wheel too, or is the front
    wheel not compatible with the thieves mtbs?

  11. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <outlo[email protected]> writes:

    > Actually the thing which always concerns me most when I lock the bike
    > up is some abstrad nicking the front wheel with its expensive hub
    > dynamo.

    I used to worry about that, but I bought a speedhub so I no longer
    worry about the front wheel :)

  12. On 1 Oct 2004 23:48:47 GMT, Mark Thompson
    <[email protected]>:

    >> Actually the thing which always concerns me most when I lock the bike
    >> up is some abstrad nicking the front wheel with its expensive hub
    >> dynamo.

    >You don't have another lock to secure the front wheel too, or is the front
    >wheel not compatible with the thieves mtbs?

    If you look at a picture of my bike you'll see that it is very short
    of triangles through which a lock can be passed:

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Stinger

    I do lock the front wheel separately, with a strong cable lock, but
    the only way I could be sure of not losing it would be to carry a
    D-lock as well as the Master lock I currently carry, which would be a
    preposterous amount of weight.

    It's not that having it nicked is particularly likely, it's just that
    theft of components alone is not normally covered by insurance, and it
    is expensive (plus requiring a wheel build).

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  13. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > If you look at a picture of my bike you'll see that it is very short
    > of triangles through which a lock can be passed:
    >
    > http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Stinger

    But if you're locking the bike to a Sheffield stand, surely you could
    lock the front wheel to the stand? That's what I do, if I'm leaving my
    bike anywhere where I can't keep an eye on it. I use an armoured cable
    lock which goes through the front wheel, round the stand and round the boom.

    > I do lock the front wheel separately, with a strong cable lock,

    There you go ;-)

    How do you manage to lock the frame to anything, though? My Street
    Machine at least has a rear triangle, so I'll put a D-lock round the
    stand and through the wheel and rear triangle, then put my cable lock
    round the other end of the stand and through the front wheel.

    Hmmm. On closer inspection, it looks as though your left- and
    right-hand chainstays are at different heights, so there is potential
    for locking the frame securely as long as no-one unscrews the suspension
    swingarm.

  14. On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 11:22:00 +0100, Danny Colyer
    <[email protected]>:

    >> If you look at a picture of my bike you'll see that it is very short
    >> of triangles through which a lock can be passed:
    >> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Stinger

    >But if you're locking the bike to a Sheffield stand, surely you could
    >lock the front wheel to the stand?

    I do, with a cable lock. The point being that I can't use a D-lock to
    lock frame, front wheel, solid object like I would with a wedgie.

    >How do you manage to lock the frame to anything, though?

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300003376 but with a longer chain,
    thanks to Tony Raven for introducing me to said product.

    >Hmmm. On closer inspection, it looks as though your left- and
    >right-hand chainstays are at different heights, so there is potential
    >for locking the frame securely as long as no-one unscrews the suspension
    >swingarm.

    Not really. I used to go under the seat with a strong cable, but the
    Street Cuff is easier :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  15. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 11:48:16 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 11:22:00 +0100, Danny Colyer
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    ><[email protected]>:
    >
    >>> If you look at a picture of my bike you'll see that it is very short
    >>> of triangles through which a lock can be passed:
    >>> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Stinger

    >>But if you're locking the bike to a Sheffield stand, surely you could
    >>lock the front wheel to the stand?

    >I do, with a cable lock. The point being that I can't use a D-lock to
    >lock frame, front wheel, solid object like I would with a wedgie.
    >
    >>How do you manage to lock the frame to anything, though?

    >http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300003376 but with a longer chain,
    >thanks to Tony Raven for introducing me to said product.

    Aha! But are the 10-pin tubular locks Biro proof?

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan
    Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

  16. On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:24:53 GMT, Gawnsoft
    <[email protected]>:

    >But are the 10-pin tubular locks Biro proof?

    Dunno. They work differently to the Kleptonite ones in that the pip
    in the middle pops up when the lock is unlocked; a biro jammed in
    there would probably stop this happening. This pip is the pin that
    locks the lock, so probably they are biro proof.