I was looking at the usa walmart site and couldn't help noticing the price of their bikes!

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:02:28 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:28:30 +0100, Martin Wilson
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>Can you please explain to me why I'm a troll for this posting?

>Wal-Mart bikes are legendary for their epic badness. The frames are
>made of an alloy of lead and depleted uranium, the components of
>cheese. US riders reckon they are responsible for putting more people
>off cycling than all the SUVs on the planet, and people go into bike
>shops and walk out in high dudgeon because they can't buy a single one
>of the bikes on display for under $100.
>
>Guy

Well the depleted uranium frame sounds excellent value. Surely
brilliant for racing. Just wait to be lapped and then smash in to the
other riders as they try to overtake you . Although if you have a
family later on you might have to get a tandem rather than seperate
bikes as your children might not have any eyes.

Martin Wilson wrote:

> The thing that bugs me here is I mentioned the walmart site to show
> pricing comparision with the uk

And as before, with your observation that junk can be had cheaper in
some places than others (direct no-name rather than rebranded by Falcon
last time), the fact that it's junk and one is better off without it at
any price is the more useful piece of information.

> opposite but I still find it interesting to see how the bike are
> equipped and to see how they are priced.

I'll say it again: you can't rate equipment by a simple list of
features. A simple case in point: 1964 Ford Popular has a 1600 4
cylinder engine, so does a 2004 Lotus Elise. So the cars are equipped
with engines that are basically the same in terms of what they can do?

> However I'm sure its obvious to all I am not as anti cheap bikes as
> other people as I do have one in addition to a kona model and an old
> Raleigh. I do find it a shame though that many people who have cheap
> bikes and come to uk.rec.cycling get a frosty reception

This isn't the case: you're only feeling you're getting a frosty
reception because you're taking the fact that many people here think
supermarket bikes are atrocious to heart and spitting back. But lest
you think it's just a snob's plot on u.r.c, here's a quote from the
Cycling Scotland web site, a Scottish Executive funded setup designed
to *promote* cycle use in Scotland (http://www.cyclingscotland.org/).

1/ How much to spend.

The answer is "Enough that the bicycle will allow me to do what I need
it to in comfort and safety." If you are looking to buy a first bike, or
a bike to enjoy gentle leisure or fitness riding, then you should expect
to spend around £200. If you will be using your bike regularly, suchas
for commuting, or will need performance or load carrying capacity such
as for mountain biking on rugged terrain, club cycling or cycle-touring
you will need to spend more to ensure the reliability, strength or light
weight required. As with all sporting equipment, bicycles can cost many
thousands of pounds, but unless you require cutting edge performance
they don't have to. And unlike, say a set of skis or a tennis racquet, a
bicycle can be used much more widely than just for sport or recreation.

> real world many people are forced to buy cheap bikes because the rate
> of bike theft in the uk is ridiculous. Something like 400,000 a year
> are stolen. There are so many people that have invested in decent
> bikes and appreciatted the quality and ride of them who simply have
> them taken from them and decide to go for a cheap bike.

People spend a lot more on cars, and lots of them are stolen. Part of
the answer is that's what insurance is for.

> evidence against them. My point is the decision to make do with a
> cheap bike rather than spend more on a more reliable more efficient
> model is often based on the fact that a) its less likely to be stolen
> and b) if it is stolen only £50 is lost compared to £500.

This ignores the reality of Amsterdam, one of the most prodigious cycle
theft areas on the planet. Lots of people ride rat traps around the
place, but they're basically sound engineering, which supermarket bikes
aren't. The typical spend on a new bike in NL is about £350 IIRC,
despite the theft problem being much worse in places, and the nice ones
are locked carefully, leaving the thieves to get the not inconsiderable
quantity that are /not/ locked carefully.

Most expensive bikes in the UK are expensive because they're high end
sports equipment, which is felt to be desirable and which is thus
targeted for theft. It also makes poor utility transport, but people
persist in riding their expensive XC MTBs around town anyway... Put a
goodish mountain bike next to a £700 Orbit City 7 (hub gears, chain
guard, mudguards, rack) in a back street and guess which one will be the
theft priority?

> currently stands. I really think you should take on board that in some
> areas bike theft is so bad that a cheap bike is the only sensible
> option.

My Brompton would set you back about £700 new. They're very popularto
steal in London right now thanks to the congestion charge. But it's a
/very/ secure bike because I can just fold it up and take it in with me.
A lot of the problem with theft is people don't think very hard about
how, when and where they leave bikes. Back to Amsterdam, thousands of
bikes are parked long term in the streets, and "bike thief" is
practically a profession to some. But still people don't buy cheese
bikes from the supermarket like they do in the US and UK.

It's also the case that it isn't just about price, it's about
desirability. You take a classic city bike and it's intrinsically much
safer than the dozen MTBs it's locked amongst because it isn't sporty.

> It doesn't matter how good a lock you have if you park a
> decent bike up and leave it you will come back to just a frame and
> rear wheel locked up or a thief with bolt cutters or a drill will have
> taken the whole bike.

It does matter how good a lock, because a hardened steel D-lock takes a
lot more effort, even with power tools, to break than something, well,
/cheap/. Also the case that choice of locking location makes a
difference. A thief isn't going to get going with an angle grinder in a
thoroughfare with a CCTV pole at the end if there's something easier
round the corner, and there often is something easier round the corner.

You appear to have gone off at a tangent. You can apply all your
arguments to cars, possibly excepting the recent tracking beacon jobs.
Yet people still spend a lot more on cars than on bikes. If you get a
basically sound utility bike it is not a great theft magnet, especially
with a spot of Hammerite and some gaffer tape. Get one that folds up
and you avoid most of the problems of security.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Martin Wilson wrote:

> I'm really not advocating cheap bikes as such I was just pointing out
> pricing differences between the uk and usa for basically the same
> bikes.

Its not a like for like comparison though. US bikes are priced without
sales tax which adds 0-10% typically to the price depending on where you
live.

UK bikes are priced with tax and duty. That adds up to around 35% on a
bike (14.8% duty and 17.5% VAT). Apart from exchange rate changes which
have played a big part recently, the tax and duty differences account
for much of the difference. The other factor is distribution and retail
cost differences. UK land, premises and fuel costs are much higher on
average in the UK than the USA - again the fuel element being mainly
duty and tax.

Which is why after the Government launched its rip-off Britain
investigation to a great fanfare of publicity it all went ominously
quiet as they realised that it was Government tax and duty that was the
prime reason for the "rip-off"

Tony

Martin Wilson wrote:

> Well the depleted uranium frame sounds excellent value. Surely
> brilliant for racing. Just wait to be lapped and then smash in to the
> other riders as they try to overtake you . Although if you have a
> family later on you might have to get a tandem rather than seperate
> bikes as your children might not have any eyes.

Thinking of the Goldwing thread - they'd be no need to slow down for car
doors as your depleted uranium bicycle would take them clean off the
hinges.

Tony

> Martin Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Well the depleted uranium frame sounds excellent value. Surely
> > brilliant for racing. Just wait to be lapped and then smash in to the
> > other riders as they try to overtake you . Although if you have a
> > family later on you might have to get a tandem rather than seperate
> > bikes as your children might not have any eyes.

Where do people get the idea that DEPLETED uranium is highly radioactive?
There's far more danger from its chemical toxicity.

> Thinking of the Goldwing thread - they'd be no need to slow down for car
> doors as your depleted uranium bicycle would take them clean off the
> hinges.

For that you really need a cicular saw instead of a tyre on your front wheel.
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

>UK bikes are priced with tax and duty. That adds up to around 35% on a
>bike (14.8% duty and 17.5% VAT). Apart from exchange rate changes which
>have played a big part recently, the tax and duty differences account
>for much of the difference. The other factor is distribution and retail
> cost differences. UK land, premises and fuel costs are much higher on
>average in the UK than the USA - again the fuel element being mainly
>duty and tax.
>
>Which is why after the Government launched its rip-off Britain
>investigation to a great fanfare of publicity it all went ominously
>quiet as they realised that it was Government tax and duty that was the
>prime reason for the "rip-off"
>
>Tony

I'd also add to that the 12 months minimum guarantee period in the uk
and better consumer protection in general adds to costs. However I
still believe the difference in pricing should be nearer 30% rather
than 100% or more which is the case with a lot of stuff.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:11:04 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Martin Wilson wrote:
>
>> The thing that bugs me here is I mentioned the walmart site to show
>> pricing comparision with the uk

>And as before, with your observation that junk can be had cheaper in
>some places than others (direct no-name rather than rebranded by Falcon
>last time), the fact that it's junk and one is better off without it at
>any price is the more useful piece of information.

Junk or not I still find it interesting how such bikes are equipped
and priced in the usa and how different the models are to model's sold
over here.

>> opposite but I still find it interesting to see how the bike are
>> equipped and to see how they are priced.

>I'll say it again: you can't rate equipment by a simple list of
>features. A simple case in point: 1964 Ford Popular has a 1600 4
>cylinder engine, so does a 2004 Lotus Elise. So the cars are equipped
>with engines that are basically the same in terms of what they can do?

I'm fully aware of the difference in quality of various components. I
don't quite understand what your saying with regards two models of
different ages though especially as the Ford Popular would probably be
lot more reliable and robust than the Lotus Elise. I presume your not
making the point that the cheap bike is much more reliable but slower
as would be the case with what you've written above.

>> However I'm sure its obvious to all I am not as anti cheap bikes as
>> other people as I do have one in addition to a kona model and an old
>> Raleigh. I do find it a shame though that many people who have cheap
>> bikes and come to uk.rec.cycling get a frosty reception

>This isn't the case: you're only feeling you're getting a frosty
>reception because you're taking the fact that many people here think
>supermarket bikes are atrocious to heart and spitting back. But lest
>you think it's just a snob's plot on u.r.c, here's a quote from the
>Cycling Scotland web site, a Scottish Executive funded setup designed
>to *promote* cycle use in Scotland (http://www.cyclingscotland.org/).

I don't actually consider I have received a frosty reception to be
honest. Most of my time in this forum has been very friendly. I take a
moderate what I would describe as realistic view with regard cheap
bikes and that is they aren't great but the make up the bulk of sales
in the uk and the reality is that will continue to be the case. It
would be nice to think people could come to this forum owning such
bikes and write about them and mention problems etc and not be pounced
on with 'your bike's rubbish' comments.

>People spend a lot more on cars, and lots of them are stolen. Part of
>the answer is that's what insurance is for.
>
>You appear to have gone off at a tangent. You can apply all your
>arguments to cars, possibly excepting the recent tracking beacon jobs.
>Yet people still spend a lot more on cars than on bikes. If you get a
>basically sound utility bike it is not a great theft magnet, especially
>with a spot of Hammerite and some gaffer tape. Get one that folds up
>and you avoid most of the problems of security.
>
>Pete.

I probably have gone off on a tangent but we both know the reality is
cheap bikes are sold in huge numbers perhaps because of theft or
perhaps because thats all people are prepared to pay. I must admit I
struggle to dislike any bike. If I go into Halfords and the proud
parents are watching as their son or daughter gets their first bike a
cheap one I don't go over and say "that bike's terrible" or "You must
be idiots for buying that" etc. Perhaps if I did it might save the
father from a couple afternoons fiddling with the gears but then he
would also be considerably poorer if he went for a more expensive
bike.

Anyway I'm just going to say all cheap bikes are rubbish and keep
everyone here happy so I can move on with my life instead of being
seen as some sort of campaigner for cheap bikes.

Martin Wilson wrote:

> I'd also add to that the 12 months minimum guarantee period in the uk
> and better consumer protection in general adds to costs. However I
> still believe the difference in pricing should be nearer 30% rather
> than 100% or more which is the case with a lot of stuff.

But still the case that worthless junk charged at £30 is still far more
than it should be, just as worthless junk at £70.

Also a lot of other cost of living things are much cheaper in the US.
But don't go getting ill or crashing your cheap bike badly without a
very expensive insurance policy. And so on.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

>Thinking of the Goldwing thread - they'd be no need to slow down for car
>doors as your depleted uranium bicycle would take them clean off the
>hinges.
>
>Tony

Not forgetting when he catchs up and tries to punch you, you'll be
able to get in a quick kick that sends him over the rooftops thanks to
those huge leg muscles developed after riding a 400kg pushbike.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:42:35 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Martin Wilson wrote:
>> >
>> > Well the depleted uranium frame sounds excellent value. Surely
>> > brilliant for racing. Just wait to be lapped and then smash in to the
>> > other riders as they try to overtake you . Although if you have a
>> > family later on you might have to get a tandem rather than seperate
>> > bikes as your children might not have any eyes.

>Where do people get the idea that DEPLETED uranium is highly radioactive?
>There's far more danger from its chemical toxicity.

I don't know but if you've got the stomach to see some horrible
deformities caused by depleted uranium look here (better before lunch
than shortly after);

http://www.web-light.nl/VISIE/extremedeformities.html

Martin Wilson wrote:

> Junk or not I still find it interesting how such bikes are equipped
> and priced in the usa and how different the models are to model's sold
> over here.

It's a different market. The perception of the UK market from the folk
selling into it is it needs to look sporty if you're going to sell it.
There are exceptions: if you're selling to 7 year old girls a good dose
of pink certainly helps, and so on.
Compare the UK utility market to the Dutch and Danish. Same basic tasks
take completely different approaches, with UK ones being "sportier". I
won't argue you don't need more gears here, but 21 just to potter round
town with your shopping? And why no chain guards? And so on.

> I don't actually consider I have received a frosty reception to be
> honest. Most of my time in this forum has been very friendly. I take a
> moderate what I would describe as realistic view with regard cheap
> bikes and that is they aren't great but the make up the bulk of sales
> in the uk and the reality is that will continue to be the case.

Nobody's arguing with that, though, the argument is that they actually
get use in any sort of proportion comparable to the sales figures.
Cheap shite makes up the bulk of the US market too, with a /lot/ of
sales, but not lots of bikes out on the streets compared to those sales.
Neither the UK or US has a vibrant cycling culture. Countries like NL
and Denmark, where there is a vibrant cycling culture, have a far higher
basic spend per new bike, and the bikes get used.

> would be nice to think people could come to this forum owning such
> bikes and write about them and mention problems etc and not be pounced
> on with 'your bike's rubbish' comments.

Perhaps the case that the people who have ridden them have found they're
rubbish, and that is why they're saying the things are rubbish?

> I probably have gone off on a tangent but we both know the reality is
> cheap bikes are sold in huge numbers perhaps because of theft or
> perhaps because thats all people are prepared to pay.

I have never before heard it suggested it's because of theft. My own
feeling is the main reason is that the general perception is that bikes
are basically toys and a cheap one will do everything you want. The
same perception in no way extends to cars, and the UK does have a car
culture. Cars == Serious, and Serious == Real Money Needed.

> struggle to dislike any bike. If I go into Halfords and the proud
> parents are watching as their son or daughter gets their first bike a
> cheap one I don't go over and say "that bike's terrible" or "You must
> be idiots for buying that" etc.

It's not really relevant at this level: they'll grow into another soon
enough and having something that their peers consider cool will do far
more to keep them on it than if it's any good.

> Anyway I'm just going to say all cheap bikes are rubbish

They're not though. There are a lot of real bargains to be had on the
secondhand market. If you've little money it's a better place to look
for a cheap bike than the local supermarket.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:35:06 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Martin Wilson wrote:
>
>> I'd also add to that the 12 months minimum guarantee period in the uk
>> and better consumer protection in general adds to costs. However I
>> still believe the difference in pricing should be nearer 30% rather
>> than 100% or more which is the case with a lot of stuff.

>But still the case that worthless junk charged at £30 is still far more
>than it should be, just as worthless junk at £70.

The point is we are still paying a lot more for our worthless junk
than comparable worthless junk in the states.

>Also a lot of other cost of living things are much cheaper in the US.
>But don't go getting ill or crashing your cheap bike badly without a
>very expensive insurance policy. And so on.
>
>Pete.

Mind you if you survive and it wasn't your fault you might have the
chance to cash in bigtime in the courts.

"Martin Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I'd also add to that the 12 months minimum guarantee period in the uk
> and better consumer protection in general adds to costs.

Stuff bought in Germany is often cheaper, and the statutory minimum guarantee
there is 2 years.
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

"Martin Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:42:35 +0200, "Mark South"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Where do people get the idea that DEPLETED uranium is highly radioactive?
> >There's far more danger from its chemical toxicity.
> >

> I don't know but if you've got the stomach to see some horrible
> deformities caused by depleted uranium look here (better before lunch
> than shortly after);
>
> http://www.web-light.nl/VISIE/extremedeformities.html

The fake pictures used on this site remind me of the Photoshopped pictures of
aliens you find on the Roswell conspiracy sites.

I said above that DU is highly chemically toxic. It's not very radioactive at
all. BTW, alpha emissions are extremely short range, so you have to ingest the
stuff to suffer from them, and in that case you have direct chemical effects to
bother about.

The best case is achieved by sticking to the facts.

Now, on a more topical note, DU for bicycles is not really trendy, because the
military in most places are phasing out DU in favour of Tungsten, mainly to
control costs of machining.

So if you want a heavy penetrator bicycle frame, Tungsten is the way to go!
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Mark South <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I'd also add to that the 12 months minimum guarantee period in the uk
> > and better consumer protection in general adds to costs.

> Stuff bought in Germany is often cheaper, and the statutory minimum guarantee
> there is 2 years.

Retailers in the UK are bound by the Sale of Goods Act, which demands
amongst other things:

that they take responsibility for fixing, replacing, or refunding money
paid for goods which go wrong within a "reasonable" lifespan (often
taken to be between 4-6 years, except for semi-disposable goods)

that any item which fails in the first six months of life can be deemed
to have been faulty at purchase, and should be subject to a no-quibble
refund

and other stuff which most consumers don't realise and which many stores
hope they don't learn.

The Dixons Group of course believe they are exempt from this
legislation, and need to be pressed very hard on it. It is a criminal
offence to try to mislead customers about their rights under the Sale of
Goods Act, which is a point worth making when they get difficult.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's a different market. The perception of the UK market from the folk
> selling into it is it needs to look sporty if you're going to sell it.
> There are exceptions: if you're selling to 7 year old girls a good dose
> of pink certainly helps, and so on.

I find the ghettoisation of pink in the UK such a pain. I love pink, and
so does my seven-year-old son. He'd have been happy with a pink bike
(but Dawes changed the pink one for purple, and he was just as happy
about that).

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Market Road www.apple-juice.co.uk
Cardiff CF5 1QE 029 2019 0140

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1gje144.66qhym5exy1dN%[email protected]...

.... The Dixons Group

Gawd! First Wal-Mart and now Dixons enter the discussion. Raise the tone,
people, raise the tone!
--

D.M. Procida wrote:

> I find the ghettoisation of pink in the UK such a pain. I love pink, and
> so does my seven-year-old son. He'd have been happy with a pink bike

I'd be happy with a pink bike (I quite often slum about in pink shorts,
after all). But I'm not entirely sure I'd be happy with Barbie branding
and a My Little Pony basket as primary features...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> D.M. Procida wrote:
>
> > I find the ghettoisation of pink in the UK such a pain. I love pink, and
> > so does my seven-year-old son. He'd have been happy with a pink bike

> I'd be happy with a pink bike (I quite often slum about in pink shorts,
> after all). But I'm not entirely sure I'd be happy with Barbie branding
> and a My Little Pony basket as primary features...

What about tassels, are you keen on tassels?

Daniele
--

D.M. Procida wrote:

> What about tassels, are you keen on tassels?

I think I can live without them! OTOH, they're not /that/ different to
the flags popular on 'bents and trailers...

Pete.