I was wrong about Bush



B

Bill Sornson

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> Mark Hickey wrote:
>> The reports we've read about his training don't reflect "fairly
>> leisurely" riding... you generally don't crash riding that way. ;-)

>
> I'm not sure that I would agree that crashing is correlated to speed.
> It might be inversely correlated to experience. I know there's studies
> to that effect with motorcycles. Sometimes novices ride too fast for
> their own good, something I would call "riding stupid".


I think mountain biking is like skiing. Even a beginner can go all day
without falling/crashing by being /so cautious/ that they never attain much
speed (or have much fun -- it's really tiring). Most people that "take" to
the sports, however, do so with enough gusto to occasionally hurt
themselves -- especially when still inexperienced, but later on as well.

{snips}

> Bush was a decent runner at relatively short distances, and is now a
> low average cyclist, slower than most serious cyclists his age, and
> faster than the duffers. And I still think that information about and
> demonstrations of his athletic performance have been managed in a way
> that exaggerates his capability. The mainstream media gushes over his
> running and mountainbiking like he's some kind of extraordinary
> athlete


The irony, of course, is that most of us would never have seen that article
that prompted at least two huge threads. I almost never hear /anything/
about Bush's exercise practices -- except, of course, when he almost fell
while learning how to ride a Segway (/that/ made all the newspapers and
network/cable news shows!). I just don't see all this "gushing" you talk
about (sort of like I don't hear him pushing Jesus all the time, either).

> which I think we all agree he is not. The only thing I think
> is noteworthy about his athletics is that he seems somewhat compulsive
> about it, but aren't we all?


I can quit any time I want. Maybe tomorrow.
 
Bill Sornson wrote:

> I think mountain biking is like skiing. Even a beginner can go all

day
> without falling/crashing by being /so cautious/ that they never

attain much
> speed (or have much fun -- it's really tiring).


When I started skiing I fell all the time- I would fall when I was
trying to get up from my previous fall. Speed and the ability to stay
upright came together for me, but that's just one person's anecdote.
Nope, based on everything I've seen, people crash on bicycles because
of inexperience or sometimes dumb bad luck, but I wouldn't even begin
to guess how hard someone was riding or skiing just because they fell.

> The irony, of course, is that most of us would never have seen that

article
> that prompted at least two huge threads. I almost never hear

/anything/
> about Bush's exercise practices -- except, of course, when he almost

fell
> while learning how to ride a Segway (/that/ made all the newspapers

and
> network/cable news shows!). I just don't see all this "gushing" you

talk
> about (sort of like I don't hear him pushing Jesus all the time,

either).

You're not supposed to hear him pushing Jesus. He speaks in code that
is understood by the fundies, but passes over the head of people like
you. His Dred Scott reference in the debates was widely reported as an
example of this.

But he's not really pushing Jesus. I think he could care less. He
doesn't go to church except for the occasional photo-op. However, he
_uses_ Jesus well to his own advantage.

You see the athletic stuff every now and then in the Washington Post.
And I would call it gushing, although I believe it did point out once
(indirectly) how short his workdays are when you throw in the couple of
hours he spends lifting weights and otherwise working out.
 
[email protected] wrote:
> Mark Hickey wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > >It's all about suppressing workers' salaraies. Illegals are one of

a
> > >number of ways that American workers salaries are suppressed,

> > <snip>
> >
> > Hey, I thought you socialists weren't so jingoistic. Don't you
> > support your Mexican brothers? ;-)

>
> You've hit the bottom- no tools left except for name-calling.


And you bit on it. He gets to pull a strawman, and avoid your comments
completely, while you feel the need to explain to Mark how not everyone
left-of-center is a red pinko commie ******* diaper doper baby. Ignore
Mark's trolling, and maybe he'll do a little less of it. Here's
hoping...

E.P.
 
[email protected] wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>
> > I think mountain biking is like skiing. Even a beginner can go all

> day
> > without falling/crashing by being /so cautious/ that they never

> attain much
> > speed (or have much fun -- it's really tiring).

>
> Nope, based on everything I've seen, people crash on bicycles because
> of inexperience or sometimes dumb bad luck, but I wouldn't even begin
> to guess how hard someone was riding or skiing just because they

fell.

Yeah, that's what happened in my MTB case - I could pretty much keep up
with people when the going was relatively easy, but if I didn't slow
down for the technical stuff, I'd crash, but only because I didn't yet
know how to ride that stuff. Experience taught me how to ride the tech
stuff, and now I only crash when I forget what I have learned. :)

E.P.
 
M

Mark Hickey

Guest
[email protected] wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> The reports we've read about his training don't reflect "fairly
>> leisurely" riding... you generally don't crash riding that way. ;-)

>
>I'm not sure that I would agree that crashing is correlated to speed.
>It might be inversely correlated to experience. I know there's studies
>to that effect with motorcycles. Sometimes novices ride too fast for
>their own good, something I would call "riding stupid".


We're talking about mountain biking. How many people who ride at a
"leisurely pace" crash? Not many that I've seen. I know lots of
people who ride MTBs that have NEVER crashed, and can't imagine why it
happens to those of us who push the pace.

>> > I don't care what the charts say, the
>> >runner equivalent of a cat 1 racer is a marathoner knocking off
>> >sub-5:30 miles, mile after mile.

>>
>> Exactly the point I was making through the "calculation thread". I
>> only WISH I could do the conversions that were being tossed at me...
>> I'd be out there terrorizing the Cat 2 field next weekend.

>
>Bush was a decent runner at relatively short distances, and is now a
>low average cyclist, slower than most serious cyclists his age, and
>faster than the duffers.


And you came to this conclusion... how? It's funny - we just ended a
thread in which the same information resulted in Bush being criticized
for riding so slow, and for claiming that he rides so fast. Kind of
amazing when you think about it.

Perhaps you'd like to come on a MTB ride with me some time. I promise
I'll keep the speed down to a "leisurely" 12mph. If you're good I
won't take photos of you puking. ;-)

> And I still think that information about and
>demonstrations of his athletic performance have been managed in a way
>that exaggerates his capability. The mainstream media gushes over his
>running and mountainbiking like he's some kind of extraordinary
>athlete, which I think we all agree he is not. The only thing I think
>is noteworthy about his athletics is that he seems somewhat compulsive
>about it, but aren't we all?


The mainstream media gushed over Clintons "running". By comparison,
Bush is a world-class marathoner.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
 
M

Mark Hickey

Guest
[email protected] wrote:

>
>[email protected] wrote:
>> Mark Hickey wrote:
>> > [email protected] wrote:
>> >
>> > >It's all about suppressing workers' salaraies. Illegals are one of

>a
>> > >number of ways that American workers salaries are suppressed,
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > Hey, I thought you socialists weren't so jingoistic. Don't you
>> > support your Mexican brothers? ;-)

>>
>> You've hit the bottom- no tools left except for name-calling.

>
>And you bit on it. He gets to pull a strawman, and avoid your comments
>completely, while you feel the need to explain to Mark how not everyone
>left-of-center is a red pinko commie ******* diaper doper baby. Ignore
>Mark's trolling, and maybe he'll do a little less of it. Here's
>hoping...


Jeez you guys are incapable of taking a little ribbing today. If the
smilie wasn't a dead give-away the "Mexican brothers" thing should
have done it.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame