I went pavement diving this morning

64Paramount

Jul 25, 2009
We had storms with high winds, hale, and heavy rain last night, and there was a lot of leaves, limbs, dirt, etc on the roads and paths today.

I was riding along a path that cuts through some woods this morning and its very slick blacktop that usually has quite a bit of debris on it normally, it was even worse today after the storm and with the dew point being very high and high humidity it was just greasy.

So I was riding slower than I usually do and the path was curving to my right when I saw some riders coming towards me and they saw me about the same time. They moved over to their right as did I and we passed without issue. So I moved back towards the center (there's a lot of debris to ride around) and then here's 2 more riders coming towards me and they stay pretty much in the center, but there's still room for me to get by.

But, I hit something with my front tire that caused the bike to lurch to the right and I didn't have enough room to recover. The tire slid off the blacktop, bit into the soft turf, and down I went.

But, I didn't get hurt much at all. My left hand and wrist are really sore, but other than that I just got strawberries my hip and shoulder. I may be a mass of bruises tomorrow, but right now I'm thinking I got through it better than I deserved.

So how's everyone else's day going? :D

Sounds painful! Well, at least there aren't any broken bones involved.

Glad you're alright.

64Paramount said:
But, I hit something with my front tire that caused the bike to lurch to the right and I didn't have enough room to recover. The tire slid off the blacktop, bit into the soft turf, and down I went.

But, I didn't get hurt much at all. My left hand and wrist are really sore, but other than that I just got strawberries my hip and shoulder. I may be a mass of bruises tomorrow, but right now I'm thinking I got through it better than I deserved.

So how's everyone else's day going? :D

Well, all's not lost for you, as it happens that chicks dig scars.

It's the time of year, here, during which any lying on pavement is a bad idea, as today was the 11th day in a row over 100° and the 18th total.

The most important question to be asked of you is, "How is the bike?" The ability of the rider to ask the question, is often an important indicator. For example, if you're lying on the ground, mostly facing up, wondering why one of your legs is next to your head, it's likely you won't ask how the bike is: this is a bad sign. On the other hand, if you can get up and limp to your bike to check it out, even if your leg is no longer shaped like a leg, you're in good shape! So, did you ask yourself how your bike was?

The most important question to be asked of you is, "How is the bike?" The ability of the rider to ask the question, is often an important indicator. For example, if you're lying on the ground, mostly facing up, wondering why one of your legs is next to your head, it's likely you won't ask how the bike is: this is a bad sign. On the other hand, if you can get up and limp to your bike to check it out, even if your leg is no longer shaped like a leg, you're in good shape! So, did you ask yourself how your bike was?

excellent point and so true! thankfully, I myself have always been able to ask that exact question. not so true from a couple of old high school rugby incidents!

nice to hear that all's well 64paramount! now how's that bike?

I myself had a slight moment of nearly meeting the pavement yesterday. going about 36km/hr and taking a right hand turn at an intersection. street cleaners had recently gone through and there were a couple of slick lines. my back end kicked out and slid a little before regaining traction on the dry again. like sliding the back end in a RWD car 'controlled fashion'. i didn't even break stride...just kept on going like nothing happened. just knowing in my head that i just got away with one! I do this exact same move a lot in my car.......but the car has 4 wheels.

Thanks guys.

The bike came through with only a minor cosmetic injury. The left pedal is scraped, but I haven't seen anything else so far. I had about 6 miles to ride to get home and it seemed to be fine.

I'm going to take a couple of days off, then I'll take it for a ride and really check everything out..

Glad you didn't suffer any serious injury. Comming off your bike is an ever present hazzard. I've been riding for over thirty years and I had a near miss two weeks ago because I failed to spot a pot hole and hit it at twenty four MPH. My fault entirely because my mind was elsewhere at the time.