I won the LOTTERY!! Now I need some *help*, oh boy....

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Maxwell, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Maxwell

    Maxwell Guest

    Dear RST,

    I just found out I garnered an IMH 2003 lottery slot!! I am in *shock*!! I did Ironman Canada in
    1991 and gave up racing to go to med school/residency. This is a dream come true for me.

    Since I have been out of this for a while I would love to talk w/ folks that have been to IMH and
    can advise me on getting ready for the race. Everything from basic training tips over the next
    6mos, what
    1/2IM races to look at for my *qualifier*, travel arrangements(when to arrive before the race, how
    to get there, travel agents)....

    My head is spinning.....

    Bryan

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wallace

    Bill Wallace Guest

    The 3 best training tips for IMH:

    1. Swim
    2. Ride
    3. Run

    Fourth bonus tip for free!

    4. A lot

    [email protected] (maxwell) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dear RST,
    >
    > I just found out I garnered an IMH 2003 lottery slot!! I am in *shock*!! I did Ironman Canada in
    > 1991 and gave up racing to go to med school/residency. This is a dream come true for me.
    >
    > Since I have been out of this for a while I would love to talk w/ folks that have been to IMH and
    > can advise me on getting ready for the race. Everything from basic training tips over the next
    > 6mos, what
    > 1/2IM races to look at for my *qualifier*, travel arrangements(when to arrive before the race, how
    > to get there, travel agents)....
    >
    > My head is spinning.....
    >
    > Bryan

  3. Congratulations! Other than the usual training information and travel information, the two bet
    pieces of advice I got were:

    1. Start looking for a hotel or condo NOW and reserve it as quickly as possible.

    2. Have as much fun as possible and ignore the cost. You might only do the Hawaiian Ironman once in
    your life and you should literally make it your dream come true!

    news:[email protected]...

  4. [email protected] (Bill Wallace) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > The 3 best training tips for IMH:
    >
    > 1. Swim
    > 2. Ride
    > 3. Run
    >
    > Fourth bonus tip for free!
    >
    > 4. A lot
    >

    > [email protected] (maxwell) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Dear RST,
    >>
    >> I just found out I garnered an IMH 2003 lottery slot!! I am in *shock*!! I did Ironman Canada in
    >> 1991 and gave up racing to go to med school/residency. This is a dream come true for me.
    >>
    >> Since I have been out of this for a while I would love to talk w/ folks that have been to IMH and
    >> can advise me on getting ready for the race. Everything from basic training tips over the next
    >> 6mos, what 1/2IM races to look at for my *qualifier*, travel arrangements(when to arrive before
    >> the race, how to get there, travel agents)....
    >>
    >> My head is spinning.....
    >>
    >> Bryan

    Isn't there a requirement, even for lottery winners, that the participant complete an IM course race
    prior to IMH? Doesn't it have to be the same year as IMH?

  5. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    Every year a few intrepid lottery winners decide to do the Buffalo Springs
    1/2 IM in Lubbock TX as their "validation" race. It's only a 1/2 IM, so it shouldn't be too hard.
    Then they get to learn that not all 1/2 IM races are the same. This race is a great preparation
    for Hawaii, you get to experience heat, wind *and* hills.

    Alan.