I Wonder, Besides English, Do You Speak Another Language?

GERARDO

Jul 30, 2003
Because this is an international forum, and because some of us dream of going to do road or MTB biking in another foreing country, I want to ask you if some of you speak more than one language.

My mother tongue is spanish, I write and speak english (I think so ;) ) and now I'm learning french and I think I'm doing pretty good. In the future I want to learn Italian..... or maybe German.

Well, let's hear your answers

Originally posted by GERARDO
Because this is an international forum, and because some of us dream of going to do road or MTB biking in another foreing country, I want to ask you if some of you speak more than one language.

My mother tongue is spanish, I write and speak english (I think so ;) ) and now I'm learning french and I think I'm doing pretty good. In the future I want to learn Italian..... or maybe German.

Yo sí. Me gusta estudiar los idomas, y castellano era el primero que aprendí (después del inglés). Estudié formalmente el italiano, e informalmente he estudiado el ruso, el tagalog, y hasta el euskaraz.

This may come in handy because if Bush gets re-elected I might have to emmigrate!

Originally posted by GERARDO

Native language: english

I also speak portuguese fluently and a little spanish.

Native languages Italian and English.

Also speak French fluently and enough Spanish to get in trouble.

My native language is Spanish, then I learned English, learning Italian, since its very similar to Spanish. VIVA Mexico!!!!

I speak English, but am learning French to help out with my upcoming week in Paris to see the final stage where Armstrong is going to get his sixth win.

I'm conversant in C++, Java, Perl, and C/Bourne shell scripts. Plus a few other languages I won't admit to, for fear I may be roped into using them...

Home language is Afrikaans (almost like Dutch) but fluent in English. Curently learning French for my trip to France next year.

GERARDO said:

Ich kann Deutch sprechen!

Y un poco Espanol.

But I mostly speak English. It used to be 50/50 German/English when I was a kid at home but I don't have much need to use it in California.

WOW!, I really appreciate all your answers. It is interesting to learn the variety of languages spoken in these forums.

I always admire people who make great efforts (like learning another language), in order to get close and to learn from another culture different of their own. This change a lot our perspective of world, in a good manner I would say.

I read somewhere that in the future, the "etiquette of languages" willl be that one will speak one's own mother tongue but must be capable to clearly understand (not to speak) another languages, example: A guy who speaks english having a conversation with a girl who speaks spanish, both speaking their own language, but understanding each other......(I hope this example doesn't start a chain of jokes).

What is your opinion on this?, and thanks again for your answers.

Native language Spanish.

I speak and try to write in English, some Portuguese too.

Gracias a Todos, Eskerrik asko (I just learn this today, is Euskera)