I would like to become a bike mechanic

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Rosco, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    I'm looking to become a bicycle mechanic. I have ridden for a number of years and done minor work on
    my bike (changing headsets, replacing chains, etc) and am graduating college in 2 months or so an
    would like to become a bike mechanic. Does anyone have good advice on how to do so? The only advice
    I've been told thusfar is to become an apprentice mechanic. This is fine by me, I'll be in Seattle
    for the summer and back in Minneapolis/St. Paul after that. Along those further lines if anyone has
    any recommendations of where in particular to look for apprentice positions I would love to know.

    thanks, Rosco

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Shapiro

    Jeff Shapiro Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Rosco) wrote:

    > I'm looking to become a bicycle mechanic. I have ridden for a number of years and done minor work
    > on my bike (changing headsets, replacing chains, etc) and am graduating college in 2 months or so
    > an would like to become a bike mechanic. Does anyone have good advice on how to do so? The only
    > advice I've been told thusfar is to become an apprentice mechanic. This is fine by me, I'll be in
    > Seattle for the summer and back in Minneapolis/St. Paul after that. Along those further lines if
    > anyone has any recommendations of where in particular to look for apprentice positions I would
    > love to know.
    >

    > thanks, Rosco

    If you are wanting to make a career out of being a bike mechanic, you might want to consider a
    certification program. Typically the programs aren't cheap, but they are worth it if you are serious
    about being a good mechanic.

    Here are a couple that I know about.

    Barnett Bicycle Institute in Colorado Springs, CO http://www.bbinstitute.com/

    United Bicycle Institute in Ashland, Oregon http://www.bikeschool.com/home.html (They have a job