I wrecked my bike... :(

trickpony

Oct 19, 2006
So... I was hit by a car on my road bike a few days ago. It's nothing incredible but it's a good bike and what I can afford right now (a Specialized Allez)... so I'd like to get her fixed up. :) Here's the question.

I went down to the right and totally screwed my shifter. The bike has all Ultegra components and I took it into the local bike shop to see about getting a new one. They quoted me like $200-250!!! :eek: That's insaine!

Soooo - is it possible to fix shifters or send them into Shimano or something? Any ideas for getting this done cheaper? I'm not sure what's wrong with it - the shifter is sticking when you push it in. For the record the rear derailer is a-okay, and the bike wasn't otherwise mauled (in ways that would affect the shifting).

Thanks for any advice!

trickpony said:
So... I was hit by a car on my road bike a few days ago. It's nothing incredible but it's a good bike and what I can afford right now (a Specialized Allez)... so I'd like to get her fixed up. :) Here's the question.

I went down to the right and totally screwed my shifter. The bike has all Ultegra components and I took it into the local bike shop to see about getting a new one. They quoted me like $200-250!!! :eek: That's insaine!

Soooo - is it possible to fix shifters or send them into Shimano or something? Any ideas for getting this done cheaper? I'm not sure what's wrong with it - the shifter is sticking when you push it in. For the record the rear derailer is a-okay, and the bike wasn't otherwise mauled (in ways that would affect the shifting).

Thanks for any advice!
eBay.

'
trickpony said:
Would you avoid buying used? Is that a bad call? Everything I've seen on there looks pretty scratched up...
Do you have a 9-speed or 10-speed drivetrain?

No matter. You should be able to get a NEW, replacement shifter for under well $150 on eBay UNLESS you want to upgrade to a DA shifter ... actually, you should be able to get a NEW pair of Ultegra 6600 shifters for under $200.

OR, you could get a set of Campagnolo (non-QS), 10-shifters + a 9-speed Shimano cassette for well under $150.

I haven't tried to mate a 10-speed Campagnolo shifter to a 10-speed Shimano cassette, but it is probably do-able, too.

Shimano brifters are not repairable in a typical LBS, nor will Shimano repair them for you. Like the other guys have said, eBay is your best bet for getting a good replacement shifter. FWIW.....I have gotten a lot of great used equipment off eBay and have not yet had a bad experience.

Bet you didn't do as good a job as me...
DSC02811.jpg

Cool, where'd you get a high-end bike that will break down to fit in a suitcase? :D

I'm sure mine would have looked the same if it were carbon....

2m6l9wk.jpg

iqkgpg.jpg

TrickPony, from another thread it sounded like you were just getting into cycling. Were you hurt? If the driver was at fault, then you should take the bike into your local bike shop for a damage estimate to submit to the driver's insurance.

These photos are hard to look at early in the morning. I feel a little sick.
btw: If you are going to make a claim for damages I don't mind pointing you in the right direction. Depending on where you are located.

I've seen nice brifters on ebay-anything from new-in-box to wrecked and everything in between. Also, the online discounters have them on sale sometimes. nashbar, performance, jensonusa-for a lot less than $250, but not all the time.

trickpony said:

Thanks for any advice!

shimano levers are non repairable, even at shimano. ebay/craig's list for a new one but they are expensive.

alfeng said:
'Do you have a 9-speed or 10-speed drivetrain?

No matter. You should be able to get a NEW, replacement shifter for under well $150 on eBay UNLESS you want to upgrade to a DA shifter ... actually, you should be able to get a NEW pair of Ultegra 6600 shifters for under $200.

OR, you could get a set of Campagnolo (non-QS), 10-shifters + a 9-speed Shimano cassette for well under $150.

I haven't tried to mate a 10-speed Campagnolo shifter to a 10-speed Shimano cassette, but it is probably do-able, too.
If you measure the center cog to center cog distances for Campagnolo 10s, shimano 9s and shimano 10s, the least difference is Campagnolo 10s and shimano 9s and that combo works great. Campagnolo 10s and shimano 10s doesn't. I am gonna try one of these days Campagnolo 11s and shimano 10s, think that's pretty close as well.

Also, according the Lennard Zinn(and I shifted the bike), Campagnolo 10s levers and sram rear derailleur shifts shimano/sram 10s spacing. Gotta sully up the group with sram stuff but it works.

Yeah I would just say you need both shifters replaced and get an estimate from your LBS and try to get a new pair of shifters from the guy's insurance.

frenchyge said:
TrickPony, from another thread it sounded like you were just getting into cycling. Were you hurt? If the driver was at fault, then you should take the bike into your local bike shop for a damage estimate to submit to the driver's insurance.
Thanks for the concern...

No, I'm pretty much okay. I have some road rash but I (luckily) wasn't going very fast and caught myself on a parked car on the way down. Sortof a cute story...

Anyway, the driver never stopped... so I don't think there's much I can do.

I'm new to cycling as a sport... but I've been a commuter for the past 5 years or so. In the good weather months I ride about 75-100 miles a week, so not a ton but enough to justify owning a decent bike.

Thanks for all the tips guys!!! I actually ended up getting a shifter from a friend of mine who's on a cycling team and asked the guys he knew. Apparently the shifter I'm getting is a little sketchy, but he's only asking a $25 contribution to the team for it - so even if it only works for a while it buys me some time to find something decent for cheaper.

All these bike wreck pictures make mine look pretty healthy! Holy ****!

like previously stated, nashbar.com usually has some pretty good prices.

As far as ebay, Ive seen everything from a new, complete sram red to pretty used shimano stuff. If you dont mind waiting to look around, ebay can be great.

Feltski said:
like previously stated, nashbar.com usually has some pretty good prices.
You gotta wait until they've come up with a closeout special on just the right hand shifter though.

trickpony said:

Thanks for any advice!
Nashbar sells 10 sp shifters, Microshift, for $99 on sale, I installed them for a friend, they're as good as 105/Ultegra (no flight deck ). No need for e-bay for this price, or any other combo. You pay taxes extra.
cheers