Iban Mayo- new superman?

Callistus Valer

Guest
How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an average rider to a superman in the
space of a few months. I think I know how this trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin the
tour for many of you out there.

> How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an average rider to a superman in
> the space of a few months. I think I know how this trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin
> the tour for many of you
out
> there.

Unknown to you. This year's performance is no surprise to those that have watched him the last few
years. He was expected to break through last year but a mid Spring illness ruined his Tour
preparation.

"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an average rider to a superman in
> the space of a few months. I think I know how this trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin
> the tour for many of you out there.

Probably the same way he won the Classique des Alpes ahead of none other than a surging Lance
Armstrong *last* year. Hard work.

> How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an
average
> rider to a superman in the space of a few months. I think I know
how this
> trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin the tour for many of
you out
> there.

When you're a useless ****** you can think anything you want and no one else could care less.

Last week in a Dutch newspaper I read that Mayo asked Rabobank for a 2 year contract. Now I think
there are more team that want him to sign for more euro's.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an
average
> > rider to a superman in the space of a few months. I think I know how
this
> > trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin the tour for many of you
> out
> > there.
>
> Unknown to you. This year's performance is no surprise to those that have watched him the last few
> years. He was expected to break through last
year
> but a mid Spring illness ruined his Tour preparation.

"Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last week in a Dutch newspaper I read that Mayo asked Rabobank for a 2
year
> contract. Now I think there are more team that want him to sign for more euro's.

I hope he goes to Italy. I just don't see Raas ever putting together a top GT squad. It could happen
one day, but not in the next few years. I hope I am wrong. I would have said that Fassa Bortolo is
the right squad for Mayo, but I was not impressed that they hired Aitor Gonzales. One purple patch
and the guy thinks he is at the top of the sport. Back to Mayo. I suppose that would still be a good
team for him. Basso and Mayo certainly are two awesome riders that have yet to peak. If ONCE was not
going away, that would have been an OK choice too.

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an
> average
> > > rider to a superman in the space of a few months. I think I know how
> this
> > > trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin the tour for many of
you
> > out
> > > there.
> >
> > Unknown to you. This year's performance is no surprise to those that
have
> > watched him the last few years. He was expected to break through last
> year
> > but a mid Spring illness ruined his Tour preparation.

Calistus you have to update your info.

I do not know what Iban may be taking but he was/is not average cyclist at all.

He was the dominat amateur cyclist of his generation in Spain.

In 2001 (with 23) he won the Midi Libere and the Classique des Alpes (in front of Armstrong and
Tonkov) and won one Stage in the Dauphine Libere (6th?). He had a very dissapointing tour 2002 (the
whole Euskatel had a horrible performance), but he was 8th in the Vuelta.

This year he has won the tour of the Basque Country (2.H.C) and was second to Tyler in the LBL. He
made Armstrong work a bit in the Dapuphine (where he won 3 stages?).

In any case, let me just add that if you think that Iban is too good to be true you may not be ready
for the one that nobody is talking about.

The one that was supposed to be THE real thing was Haimar Zubeldia (I even had him in the list of
top ten for the TdF in this newsgroup a couple of years ago). In Spain he was considered the
cyclists with more potential to win the tour since Indurain. After an excellet year 2000 he had done
nothing (until the prologue and today). Keep an eye on him! He can TT.

Unfortunately for Euskatel-Euskadi the problem is not one of talent (also from the Euskadi came
Beloki and Igor Gnlz.Galdeano) but one of management. It reminds me a bit of the old Kelme. The team
has completely overreached the objectives of the original management (that was only prepared to
operate at a regional level) and this shows (for example the lack of preparation for the TTT - they
admited not a single TTT test).

> How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an average rider to a superman in
> the space of a few months. I think I know how this trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin
> the tour for many of you
out
> there.

Troll

> How could a relatively unknown rider, named Iban Mayo, go from an average rider to a superman in
> the space of a few months. I think I know how this trick was pulled off, but I don't want to ruin
> the tour for many of you
out