Iban Mayo

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Michael, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    and weaknesses?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > and weaknesses?

    There is no book on Iban Mayo. The book's on Lance Armstrong.

  3. Beetlebum

    Beetlebum Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths and weaknesses?
    > Mike

    Strength = climbing, surely Weakness = time-trialing, but he seems to be
    improving there; maybe his team, esp. for the TTT, but with the 2:30
    time loss limit that may not be significant

    --

  4. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > and weaknesses?
    > Mike

    Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.

    Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro. Has never won a 1-day
    classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    day at a Grand Tour.

    -Ken

  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    > > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > > and weaknesses?
    > > Mike

    > Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    > stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.
    >
    > Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    > Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro. Has never won a 1-day
    > classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    > day at a Grand Tour.
    >
    > -Ken

    Thanks guys.

    Mike

  6. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    K. J. Papai wrote:
    > "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    >
    >>What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    >>and weaknesses?
    >>Mike

    > Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    > stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.
    >
    > Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    > Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro. Has never won a 1-day
    > classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    > day at a Grand Tour.

    He was indeed 2nd at Liege-Bastogne-Liege last year, but he won the
    Classique des Alpes in 2001 (also taking 2nd this year). Whether that
    is a "classic" is debatable.

    -Sonarrat.

  7. Morten

    Morten Guest

    Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:

    > He was indeed 2nd at Liege-Bastogne-Liege last year

    No it was his teammate Samuel Sanches - however hes won the Basque
    stage race the week before LBL (in front of Hamilton)

    --
    Morten Reippuert Knudsen :)

    PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB Disk, 8x DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth
    mus + tastatur, FX5200 Ultra, iSight & Lacie Photon18Vision (TFT).

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    > > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > > and weaknesses?
    > > Mike

    > Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    > stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.
    >
    > Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    > Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro.

    You are overlooking the most important fact and that is his age. Dude, how
    many GTs had Lance won at that age? Go ahead and count all of Lance's tour
    results including the Tour de Trump results agains those of Mayo and then
    see who has one of the best palmares of anyone at his age.

    Has never won a 1-day
    > classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    > day at a Grand Tour.
    >
    > -Ken

    Compare the palmares of Mayo to that of your idol and see that the only
    thing Lance had on him by that age is a few great one day results. Mayo is
    more of a natural GT killer and if his career is handled well he could
    easily be the next great GT champ. Lance had to work very hard for nearly a
    decade to be able to place in the top 10 of a GT.

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    > > > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > > > and weaknesses?
    > > > Mike

    > > Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    > > stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.
    > >
    > > Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    > > Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro. Has never won a 1-day
    > > classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    > > day at a Grand Tour.
    > >
    > > -Ken

    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > Mike

    Nobody has mentioned how young he is. He is not even in his prime years
    yet...

  10. Morten

    Morten Guest

    Morten <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > He was indeed 2nd at Liege-Bastogne-Liege last year

    > No it was his teammate Samuel Sanches - however hes won the Basque
    > stage race the week before LBL (in front of Hamilton)

    my mistake, i just rememberred that it was Sanches who at first was in
    the brakeaway with Armstrong and later on was the one to follow at st.
    nicolas when Bogerd broke away. I asumed he was the Euskatel rider
    who was chaseing Hamilton with Bogerd.

    --
    Morten Reippuert Knudsen :)

    PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB Disk, 8x DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth
    mus + tastatur, FX5200 Ultra, iSight & Lacie Photon18Vision (TFT).

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    > > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > > and weaknesses?
    > > Mike

    > Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    > stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.
    >
    > Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    > Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro. Has never won a 1-day
    > classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    > day at a Grand Tour.

    And according to Pedro Degado, Iban always manages to have a really bad day
    in any Tour he's in.

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    > > > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > > > and weaknesses?
    > > > Mike

    > > Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    > > stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.
    > >
    > > Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    > > Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro.

    > You are overlooking the most important fact and that is his age. Dude, how
    > many GTs had Lance won at that age? Go ahead and count all of Lance's tour
    > results including the Tour de Trump results agains those of Mayo and then
    > see who has one of the best palmares of anyone at his age.
    >
    > Has never won a 1-day
    > > classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    > > day at a Grand Tour.
    > >
    > > -Ken

    > Compare the palmares of Mayo to that of your idol and see that the only
    > thing Lance had on him by that age is a few great one day results. Mayo is
    > more of a natural GT killer and if his career is handled well he could
    > easily be the next great GT champ. Lance had to work very hard for nearly a
    > decade to be able to place in the top 10 of a GT.

    (Giggle, laughhhhhhhh, sputter, choke) Like when he couldn't keep up
    with Lance in Luz last year?

  13. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Michael of 8 million Mike's" ...
    > > > What's the book on Iban Mayo? What are his strengths
    > > > and weaknesses?
    > > > Mike

    > > Strengths: Uphill finishing ITTs. Uphill finishes to mountainous
    > > stages. A decent helpful mountain goat-like team.
    > >
    > > Weaknesses: flat, strong man type ITTs. Mental -- Mayo has not won the
    > > Tour. Has not won the Vuelta or the Giro.

    > You are overlooking the most important fact and that is his age. Dude, how
    > many GTs had Lance won at that age? Go ahead and count all of Lance's tour

    In my book, Age == Mental Strength.

    > results including the Tour de Trump results agains those of Mayo and then
    > see who has one of the best palmares of anyone at his age.
    >
    > Has never won a 1-day
    > > classic (but has a 2nd at L-B-L I think). Seems to always have a bad
    > > day at a Grand Tour.
    > >
    > > -Ken

    > Compare the palmares of Mayo to that of your idol and see that the only
    > thing Lance had on him by that age is a few great one day results. Mayo is
    > more of a natural GT killer and if his career is handled well he could
    > easily be the next great GT champ. Lance had to work very hard for nearly a
    > decade to be able to place in the top 10 of a GT.

    I do not know off-hand how old Mayo is -- 27?
    I could look it up but I am not concerned.
    His day is soon, and will be in winning GT's in 2005 and beyond.
    I like hime a lot.

    -Ken

  14. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    K. J. Papai wrote:

    > In my book, Age == Mental Strength.

    How old are you, Ken?

  15. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > K. J. Papai wrote:
    > >
    > > In my book, Age == Mental Strength.
    > >

    > How old are you, Ken?

    Between 14 and 65, depending on the thread.

    Yourself?

    -kenm

  16. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    K. J. Papai wrote:
    > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    >> K. J. Papai wrote:
    >>>
    >>> In my book, Age == Mental Strength.
    >>>

    >> How old are you, Ken?

    > Between 14 and 65, depending on the thread.
    >
    > Yourself?

    It looks like we're the same age.

  17. Amit

    Amit Guest

    [email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<40d1d8c2$0$34752

    > > Compare the palmares of Mayo to that of your idol and see that the only
    > > thing Lance had on him by that age is a few great one day results. Mayo is
    > > more of a natural GT killer and if his career is handled well he could
    > > easily be the next great GT champ. Lance had to work very hard for nearly a
    > > decade to be able to place in the top 10 of a GT.

    > Like when he couldn't keep up
    > with Lance in Luz last year?

    It's psychologial warfare. Mayo was softening up Lance for this year's Tour.