iBike Sport batteries

drummerboy1248

May 23, 2004
I am considering dipping my toe into the world of power meters. I am looking at the iBike Sport model for $200. A racing buddy's wife has one, so I asked him how they liked it. He said it is consistent though it reads a little lower than his Power Tap, but is consistently about 15 watts less. So if it's consistent, then it is good for training. I don't really care if the actual reading is off as long as it's consistent. What did get my attention is when he said that they go through the batteries about every other month. It is to the point that he is buying the batteries online in bulk to keep the cost down. He said it uses 3 of the watch type batteries. CR 2032 or something like that. I think his is the Pro model with HR and cadence, so maybe it uses more batteries than the Sport that does not have those features. Anyway, has anyone else had battery longevity issues with their iBike? I'm not seeing anything about this on any owner reviews I've found. Maybe it's just an issue with his particular unit.

The sport has no facility to download data onto your computer. Without which I am not quite sure how useful power data is.

Figured it would be just fine for setting intensity levels for intervals. And is upgradable to the pro unit, if I want to continue with it. But I hear what you're saying, and my mind is not at all made up. I've asked around some and believe the battery issue is with the wireless units and not the wired ones.