IBS problems and cycling

bktx1

May 5, 2003
I have had problems with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) for years. The problem becomes even more acute when riding, especially for longer rides. I get tremendous stomach pain while riding and usually end up constipated. I have tried just about everything. The only (partial) relief I have had is not eating solid foods for 8 hours before the ride and taking in only liquids. I still become constipated, but the pain is not so bad. Of course, I bonk because I am not taking in enough calories.

Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?

Your current routine seems a bit drastic and may lead to these kinds of problems. What I am interested in was what you did before, what did you eat and drink & when did you eat food and drink? Many of these types of problems are related to eating sugary foods and energy drinks at the wrong concentrations.

2LAP:

Thanks for your reply. Basically, I ate the normal stuff one usually does before a long ride: Pasta or baked potato before the ride, bananas, oranges, energy bars during the ride.

At rest stops, everyone else would be chowing down on food, while I was feeling sick to my stomach.

I also suffer from IBS. You have to be careful with the Gu (especially the ones that have caffeine) and the energy bars... Drink lots of water with the energy bars. I'd skip powerbars altogether. Skip the oranges, too. They are a trigger. Don't drink coffee!

e.

bktx1 said:
2LAP:

Thanks for your reply. Basically, I ate the normal stuff one usually does before a long ride: Pasta or baked potato before the ride, bananas, oranges, energy bars during the ride.

At rest stops, everyone else would be chowing down on food, while I was feeling sick to my stomach.

have ibs to, so far i have been lucky and riding my bike doesn't cause any or few problems on a ride, the longest ride i have done was 35 miles though i think further would cause more problems
i have noticed that after a ride i have a lot of problems but the opposite of constipation :mad:
for me i am really carful about what i eat on a ride, i am any way because i have to be carful all the time, i try and eat enough so i am not to hungry and i havn't really had power bars or anything i just take some fruit usually an apple, tho apples tend to cause problems for me they havn't caused any while on my bike and i have friends with an apple tree, i mostly drink lots of fluids when i ride
good luck,