IBS Treatment

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Anaru Hartley, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I am seeking information relating to the treatment of IBS, that works.

    So far I have found this website: http://www.bowelpains.com

    Are there any others that are similar?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    My understanding is, that if you have any kind of abdominal pain, and they
    can't figure out what it is, they say you have IBS.

    "Anaru Hartley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am seeking information relating to the treatment of IBS, that works.
    >
    > So far I have found this website: http://www.bowelpains.com
    >
    > Are there any others that are similar?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    I don't believe in IBS! Itis only a symptom of something bigger.

    Talk to some people here and ask about gluten allergies.
    alt.support.celiac

    "Anaru Hartley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am seeking information relating to the treatment of IBS, that works.
    >
    > So far I have found this website: http://www.bowelpains.com
    >
    > Are there any others that are similar?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. montygram

    montygram Guest

    They are right. What the hell is IBS supposed to mean. I went to a
    gastroenterologist and he saw how much weight I lost as well as other
    symptoms that are not associated with "IBS," and he still called it
    IBS. When I questioned him about this, all he had to say is that that
    was the best diagnosis he could make. I eventually cured myself with
    stomach acid and pepsin supplements. There is a book called Digestive
    Wellness that you might want to take a look at. Also, lipid
    peroxidation can cause all kinds of gut problems, so eat more
    antioxidant rich foods and less unsaturated fatty acids.

  5. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Forgot to mention: get off processed food - make it yourself - that's
    what I do. In my upcoming book, I'm going to have a cooking and
    recipes section for those who want to know how to make tasty, lacto-ovo
    vegetarian dishes (some are vegan or can be made vegan) from scratch.
    Dairy is great, but it's been turned into garbage, for example,
    products with carrageenan, a known carcinogen (they use it to give mice
    cancer for experimenal purposes), and very harsh on the gut, are all
    over the place. If you were my patient, I'd have you bring in the food
    you ate and we'd look at the ingredients for the things to avoid.
    Good luck.

  6. "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dairy is great, but it's been turned into garbage, for example,
    > products with carrageenan, a known carcinogen (they use it to give mice
    > cancer for experimenal purposes), and very harsh on the gut, are all
    > over the place. If you were my patient, I'd have you bring in the food
    > you ate and we'd look at the ingredients for the things to avoid.

    Is that why men who are heavy cow's milk drinkers may get prostate
    cancer?

  7. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > They are right. What the hell is IBS supposed to mean. I went to a
    > gastroenterologist and he saw how much weight I lost as well as other
    > symptoms that are not associated with "IBS," and he still called it
    > IBS. When I questioned him about this, all he had to say is that that
    > was the best diagnosis he could make. I eventually cured myself with
    > stomach acid and pepsin supplements. There is a book called Digestive
    > Wellness that you might want to take a look at. Also, lipid
    > peroxidation can cause all kinds of gut problems, so eat more
    > antioxidant rich foods and less unsaturated fatty acids.

    That proves he was right if you cured yourself. If it had been something
    more serious then you would still have it Yahoo.

  8. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My understanding is, that if you have any kind of abdominal pain, and they
    > can't figure out what it is, they say you have IBS.

    Sort of. They rule out conditions that have obvious pathological markers or
    finger prints of diseases. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion once they rule
    out the most obvious and common.
    Some diseases or conditions do not have obvious specific diagnostic postive
    findings to make a diagnosis so they have to exclude everything else.

    > "Anaru Hartley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am seeking information relating to the treatment of IBS, that works.
    > >
    > > So far I have found this website: http://www.bowelpains.com
    > >
    > > Are there any others that are similar?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

  9. The cottage cheese I buy has carrageenan in it. Guess I'll have to
    change brands.

  10. John Que

    John Que Guest

    "George Lagergren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Dairy is great, but it's been turned into garbage, for example,
    > > products with carrageenan, a known carcinogen (they use it to give mice
    > > cancer for experimenal purposes), and very harsh on the gut, are all
    > > over the place. If you were my patient, I'd have you bring in the food
    > > you ate and we'd look at the ingredients for the things to avoid.

    > Is that why men who are heavy cow's milk drinkers may get

    prostate
    > cancer?

    No. The high calcium intake especially in the context of a low
    vitamin D intake results in lesser amounts of 25 OH vitamin D
    being converted into 1, 25 OH vitamin D. This activated form
    of the vitamin helps to protect the prostate gland from
    cancer. Also heavy milk use may displace foods rich
    in heathful phytochemicals and richer micromineral sources.

  11. TC

    TC Guest

  12. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is typical establishment thinking. Don't you get it. If I
    > continued to listen to the doctor's, I'd be dead by now. You are so
    > agressively ignorant that you probably amaze yourself at times.

    The last thing you want to be is thinking in terms of typical established
    science.

    > As to the prostate issue, if you do some research on pubmed, you'll see
    > that the evidence is so strong against lipid peroxidation/oxidative
    > stress/free radical damage that it may be the best model for this
    > mechanism.

    Lipid peroxidation is a normal activity involving cell death no matter what
    the origin. It merely means that the cell is dying.

    The studies you cite not only fail to take the vitamin D
    > issue into account, but also fail to distinguish between something like
    > raw organic goat's milk and pasteurized, homogenized, non-organic cow's
    > milk. Moreover, there is a sociological element, in that people who
    > drink whole milk these days are often the people who just eat whatever
    > they want, whereas those who limit their dairy are more likely to go to
    > a doctor within a couple of weeks of symptom onset, are more likely to
    > get tested in a short period of time, are more likely to eat several
    > servings of fruit/vegetables each day etc.
    >
    > Guess what? There is quite an extensive body of evidence on this
    > sociological issue as well. As I say, you can easily "prove" an
    > "association" between smelly socks and any disease you like, because,
    > again, those who don't take care of themselves do so across the board,
    > and in our society, there are things such people are more likely to do.

    Guess what? If you prove a stronger association of oxidative damage and
    every disease known to man than you can with smelly socks. Thanks for
    proving my point.
    There is no specificity.

  13. montygram

    montygram Guest

    How nice it is that Robert, the man of science, fails to cite any
    evidence for his claims. I wish you all the lipid peroxidation in the
    world, Robert. But for those of you with something other than sawdust
    between your ears, just go to www.pubmed.com and search for lipid
    peroxidation. The more unsaturated fatty acids in your diet, the more
    lipid peroxidation will likely do you great harm.

  14. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How nice it is that Robert, the man of science, fails to cite any
    > evidence for his claims. I wish you all the lipid peroxidation in the
    > world, Robert. But for those of you with something other than sawdust
    > between your ears, just go to www.pubmed.com and search for lipid
    > peroxidation. The more unsaturated fatty acids in your diet, the more
    > lipid peroxidation will likely do you great harm.

    I scrape off the oxidized portion of my statin meds to have full effect.

  15. Philemon

    Philemon Guest

    Anaru Hartley wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am seeking information relating to the treatment of IBS, that works.
    >
    > So far I have found this website: http://www.bowelpains.com
    >
    > Are there any others that are similar?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have found that symptomatic treatment is as good as anything:
    reactivated carbon and yeast supplements may help reestablish flora
    equilibrium, as well as Duspatalin (mebeverenic acid) and mesalazine (an
    anti-inflammatory that acts only on the bowel), known in the UK as
    Asacol or elsewhere as Salofalk.

    Fruit and exercise are also useful, and maintaining a regular intake of
    food rather than going without lunch is better, especially if you keep
    the evening meal as small as possible.

    It associates closely with stress - quite obviously in my case. So deal
    with the stress too.

    The Irritable Bowel Diet Book by Rosemary Nicol is also useful:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...18892/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_8_9/026-9212338-5755621

    Good luck.

  16. Philemon

    Philemon Guest

    Anaru Hartley wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am seeking information relating to the treatment of IBS, that works.
    >
    > So far I have found this website: http://www.bowelpains.com
    >
    > Are there any others that are similar?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have found that symptomatic treatment is as good as anything:
    reactivated carbon and yeast supplements may help reestablish flora
    equilibrium, as well as Duspatalin (mebeverenic acid) and mesalazine (an
    anti-inflammatory that acts only on the bowel), known in the UK as
    Asacol or elsewhere as Salofalk.

    Fruit and exercise are also useful, and maintaining a regular intake of
    food rather than going without lunch is better, especially if you keep
    the evening meal as small as possible.

    It associates closely with stress - quite obviously in my case. So deal
    with the stress too.

    The Irritable Bowel Diet Book by Rosemary Nicol is also useful:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...18892/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_8_9/026-9212338-5755621

    Good luck.

  17. Philemon

    Philemon Guest

    Philemon wrote:
    > Anaru Hartley wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am seeking information relating to the treatment of IBS, that works.
    >>
    >> So far I have found this website: http://www.bowelpains.com
    >>
    >> Are there any others that are similar?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I have found that symptomatic treatment is as good as anything:
    > reactivated carbon and yeast supplements may help reestablish flora
    > equilibrium, as well as Duspatalin (mebeverenic acid) and mesalazine (an
    > anti-inflammatory that acts only on the bowel), known in the UK as
    > Asacol or elsewhere as Salofalk.
    >
    > Fruit and exercise are also useful, and maintaining a regular intake of
    > food rather than going without lunch is better, especially if you keep
    > the evening meal as small as possible.
    >
    > It associates closely with stress - quite obviously in my case. So deal
    > with the stress too.
    >
    > The Irritable Bowel Diet Book by Rosemary Nicol is also useful:
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...18892/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_8_9/026-9212338-5755621
    >

    > Good luck.

    See also the mail in this NG above (more recent) called N-acetylcysteine
    / colitis. This substance is sold as mucosolvon, and traditionally is
    used to unblock catarrh and congestion in colds. Its benefic effect
    comes from its ability to increase permeability of mucous membrane and
    hence fluidifies mucous secretion (yuck!) You can also buy it as
    acetylcysteine in Holland and Barrett. Oh, and BTW, it's the best cure
    for a hangover too, since it increases liver function of alcohol
    dehydrogenase (according to New Scientist magazine).

  18. Philemon

    Philemon Guest