Ibuprofen before Vo2 max workouts? You too?

TT day.
No ibuprofen. Tried 400mg of acetaminophen. Felt no pain today - just dull ache. Not trying to stir the pot, simply wanted to try a different analgesic. At no time did I feel like quitting. Did it help? I can't say it didn't...

59m39s.
334w average. 32.2k (20mph) average speed.
32k, basically uphill. Some short 8.2%(!) and 7% sections. Some long flat stretches. Ended with a 300m 6.3% section.

Didn't stay with my original plan of holding in the 340w average range for as long as I could. IIRC, I stayed in the 350w average range for about 23mins. Held 340w range until about the 48min mark.

Good effort. Top 10 at least. Top 5 possibly. Podium unlikely.

swampy1970 said:
Belief based despite it being a documented and thoroghly tested way of improving aerobic fitness? This is essentially the same "meat 'n potatoes" training that helped Boardman go from good national level time trialist circa 1990 to time trialing God from 1992 onwards - except his SST was done on a mountain bike with knobbly tires whilst trying to keep up with 1st and 2nd Cat riders during winter training rides. At a post 92 Olympic BCF conference, Keen put the majority of Chris's improvement down to that training. Peter Keen's scale called it Level 2 training its pretty much the same as SST.

Apparently there were a few of the earlier rides that someone had to go out and pick Chris up cause it was just too much... The glamorous side of training that you don't normally hear. LOL

The one winter where I pretty much did straight two hour rides, four times a week, hard, I improved more than 40watts from the end of the season to the start of the next. Same shape lactate curve, 1 hour pace was still approx at 6mmol/lactate, hr at 190 but the entire curve was just shifted to the right.

... so, no surprise that Piotr is seeing gains. I think what may surprise him is what he'll be seeing in another month or two.
wwe

This raw throat just won't go away. It hasn't blossomed into anything more significant, but it's disconcerting nonetheless.

Did 2h45m on the trainer yesterday at L2. Felt good. Will do an easy 60-75mins at L1 today in order to be rested for a good L5 w/o tomorrow.

About 7 weeks til my second lab test. I'm fairly confident LTP has increased from 330 to close to 350. Power at Vo2max has improved but it's hard to guesstimate a figure.

tonyzackery said:
TT day.
No ibuprofen. Tried 400mg of acetaminophen. Felt no pain today - just dull ache. Not trying to stir the pot, simply wanted to try a different analgesic. At no time did I feel like quitting. Did it help? I can't say it didn't...

59m39s.
334w average. 32.2k (20mph) average speed.
32k, basically uphill. Some short 8.2%(!) and 7% sections. Some long flat stretches. Ended with a 300m 6.3% section.

Didn't stay with my original plan of holding in the 340w average range for as long as I could. IIRC, I stayed in the 350w average range for about 23mins. Held 340w range until about the 48min mark.

Good effort. Top 10 at least. Top 5 possibly. Podium unlikely.
Not suprisingly, guys with better power:weight went over me. I wouldn't be suprised if a couple guys from Montreal go past me as well. The long, hillier courses will definitely allow that...

http://www.ridewithrendall.com/results/2009/?race=20090222&city=ottawa

http://www.ridewithrendall.com/results/2009/?race=20090222&city=vancouver

Piotr said:
My first VO2max session of the year. 5 x 5 min @ 301-305 W. That's 10 W higher than any L5 session last year (whenever I tried 300 W, I'd quit during the 3rd interval).[cough] No IB [cough], but there's something to be said about that off-season SST, no? ;)
Carrying on... My second VO2max session of the year. 5 x 5 min @ 307-311 W. I guess that's 15 W higher now than last year. :) Sorry, I'm at work, so no access to WKO+.

Ouch, I could definitely give those up for lent. :D

Absolutely nothing. Mike Nash is a cat.1/elite rider who has been a TT champion on multiple occasions. Me, I'm just a lowly cat. 3, non-time trialist, sprinter who got on a road bike 30mos. ago for the first time since they were once called "ten speeds". That I've done reasonably well against my competitors is really of no significant consequence.

N-E-way, as I've discussed earlier in this thread, I'm using this series soley as training to improve my threshold power. However, I'm a competitor and wish to do reasonably well at whatever I entertain. Basically, I'm a crit guy - nothing more; nothing less. My primary winter training focus has been to try and eliminate what I believe was my achilles heel last season - not having the strength/power to place myself in good position (no worse than 3rd wheel) going into the final sprint. Build up the threshold power and then top it off with some L5...

Bailed on the L5 tonight. My thinking currently is I'm going to see improvement in power at Vo2max regardless if I do L5 work now or 4 weeks from my lab test in April. Continuing as long as possible with the L4 "base" work will help now (in the TT series) and continue to pay dividends later on and through the racing season.

60mins of L4 - one 40min and 20min interval on a simulated Col d'Tourmalet eastside climb. Moved my saddle about 1/4" forward beforehand to test a hypothesis and believe I may have increased my efficiency a few percentage points...

Been playing around with crank lengths (172.5 and 175) during the series and for the past couple weeks I've been on the 175s. I'm going to stick with 'em for next several weeks, but I think on the flatter stages I'm more efficient with the 172.5s - lessened dead spot at TDC is more advantageous than the increased leverage of the 175s.

function said:
From a practical standpoint, the additional 2.5mm won't make any difference with respect to mechanical advantage.
Makes for a nice soundbite. Care to expound on your statement...

function said:
From a practical standpoint, the additional 2.5mm won't make any difference with respect to mechanical advantage.
Not entirely correct. There is an ~1.5% mechanical advantage in using the 175s instead of the 172.5s.

From a pragmatic standpoint in my regard, the matter isn't worth debating though. There is a difference in "feel" between the two cranks - haven't fully determined if there's a cycling economy difference though. You may not notice a difference. No problem...

function said:
Hi Tony, certainly there is a theoretical difference if you look at it from purely a mechanical point of view. If you feel a difference it's likely your body (muscle memory if you may) being used to following a specific pedaling circle. I'd consider changing cranks if i were, say, on 180s and found my legs getting too close to my chest and exerting force on the bottom of my sternum in certain positions. But otherwise it will have no effect on power output or muscle recruitment once your body adapts to the pedaling circle.

There were a few studies on this but i can't find the citations right now. Of course, take this as purely my opinion.
I'll be the first one to admit to not being an expert WRT exercise physiology. Nonetheless, I will assert that I am the world's most reknowned and foremost expert when it comes to my body, and the feelings therein.

Thank you for your comments and I understand your opinion(s), though not necessarily proprietary, are your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUVoLCbotI&feature=related

Just a little bit of track action I thought I'd share...

Guess which one I am...:D

FYI, lest you think the woman who finished in second is slow, that's Monique Sullivan (I think 18yo at the time of this race). She's represented Canada in World Cup sprint competition this past year and has gone (IIRC) as fast as 11.60 in the flying 200.

"B" class is for the roadies who like to sprint. "A" class is for the more dedicated trackie sprinter types...

A recap for the newcomers to this thread:

1. I have nothing to sell you
2. Not a coach pandering my training philosophy nor am I entertaining
becoming such.
3. Relatively new to cycling and as such am willing to try different approaches to training and don't have all the answers.
4. I train ~8hrs/week for crits, predominantly.
5. I believe in training intently (L4/L5 sometimes with ibuprofen or acetaminophen), or recovering (L1/2). No SST for me. "Laboris gloria ludi". I have tried the longer, less intensive riding method without any greater success than what I'm experiencing currently.

See the attached link.

http://www.biketechreview.com/performance/base.htm

6. Lab tested early December. Currently embarking on quest to improve power at Vo2max. Will re-test at conclusion of indoor TT series in April. Will post the results here to conclude this thread.
7. YMMV is the most important tenet of training philosophy. There is no "one-size-fits-all" training programs, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
8. Always keep an open mind, and do your own research...

And finally..."De omnibus dubitandum..."

tonyzackery said:
Not entirely correct. There is an ~1.5% mechanical advantage in using the 175s instead of the 172.5s.

From a pragmatic standpoint in my regard, the matter isn't worth debating though. There is a difference in "feel" between the two cranks - haven't fully determined if there's a cycling economy difference though. You may not notice a difference. No problem...
Personally, I could never tell a difference from using cranks 2.5mm longer. Draw 2.5mm on a piece of paper... HUGE! The next time you're yanking on a wrench and need a bit more leverage just move your hands 2.5mm for a huge increase in available torque.... not! Now, cranks that were 10mm longer (175 to 185)... well, that's a different story. Helped on the climbs in that it way easier to roll the gear up the short slightly steeper sections, say going from 8% to 10% for 20 or 30 yards and then back to 8% and really helped out of the saddle.

20mm - that'd be interesting.

The whole "your knees will explode and you'll be off the bike for the next 3 months" that the hacks down the local bike shop kept muttering was complete rubbish. No pains, all gain.

One of the things I wanted to try this summer with the adjustable powercranks was some testing with different crank lengths. With a silly range of adjustment 95mm to 220mm (I think) - things could get interesting. I may have to pen a date in for that... Initially, it'll be hill testing but I'd like to try shorter cranks in a TT position too and see what happens. Running 185mm on the TT bike did seem to help but the extra 10mm did increase discomfort somewhat.

I can feel the difference between 172.5 and 175mm cranks. There is a small but perceptible "dead spot" in my pedal stroke when using 175s that I don't feel when using 172.5s. The fact that others scoff at this is of no concern to me. These individuals have all the answers for themselves obviously, but for others as well - must be nice. I will continue to utilize and rely on what has been my own experience. Opinions are appreciated nonetheless, you're entitled...

Try stretching the illiopsoas. Gentle stretch before riding - longer more intense stretch after a ride or on days when you don't ride. Increase the stretch by moving your hips forward.

lunge-psoas-stretch.jpg

Personally I hate doing this one - but i get enough benefit from it that it's worthwhile.

Your milage may vary...

The sore throat is gone.
Bailed on the L4 last night. In fact, took the day off as the quads were more sore than usual from the light (135lbs) squats I did on Tuesday. Tonight I'll do an easy (150w) 30-45mins. in prep for the recurring TT tomorrow.
Plan will be stay in the low 350s, high 340s for as long as I can hold it. Based on Tuesday's workout, a PB is forthcoming provided my pacing strategy is adhered to. I'll keep you posted...

Mission accomplished.
30.09k rolling course.
37.0k average speed.
343w avg. Previous best 338.
48m45s. Previous best 48m58s.
170ahr 176max.

TT pacing went according to plan. Expected a little better time (low 48), but improvement is improvement...