Ibuprofen before Vo2 max workouts? You too?

jsirabella said:
AH the sweet sounds of hostility...now this is what the internet forums are really all about...hiding behind computer screens and mouthing off for no other reason other than the lack of anything else to do....

At this point, who cares anymore...the biggest problem we have with this forum is that we do not have a moderator who can just turn off a thread....

-js
Magnanimous words indeed...

For the most part, this exercise has been A LOT of fun...you just never know what'll come out from under a rock until you turn it over...:D

tonyzackery said:
Magnanimous words indeed...

For the most part, this exercise has been A LOT of fun...you just never know what'll come out from under a rock until you turn it over...:D

...as we've discovered!

tonyzackery said:

I think the point here is that the majority of people think that using NSAIDs to aid your ability to 'suffer' through training is a bad concept.

You still think it is good. End of story.

Remember you have to have an open mind to listen to other peoples thoughts; but not so open that your brains fall out.

Sounds like your brains fell out in the NFL change room back in the late 80's and some janitor scooped them into the waste rather than lost property.

doctorSpoc said:
this sounds good on the surface but if you think about it even just a little.. it's actually not sound advice... take the below as an example...

which do you think would give better training and resulting adaptation?

a) ride at 12 noon in blazing sun, 40 degrees C, 100% humidity when you can only manage 3.5W/kg for your threshold intervals
b) ride in the morning or evening when it's 20 degrees C and humidity has dropped when 4.5W/kg is very doable

i'll go with b)...

sure at noon you'll feel WAY more pain per watt doing your intervals... but is that what you want? the resulting volume of training stress (TSS) will be MUCH less since you are only capable of so much pain. so with one's personal pain threshold you can get WAY more done with b) than a). or for b) you could ride pain free at the same power of a) and get the same work done...

there is a widely held misconception that more pain is necessarily always accompanied with more training stress... this is simple not the case. the goal is to maximize training stress... not pain... contrary to popular belief they are not the same thing.
You might go with b) which is good for the most part, but if you race at the weekends then you're going to have to get some time training in a) too, otherwise you're not going to be having too much fun.

Personally, where it gets 40+C down here, I didn't notice a huge difference in time taken to climb the big hills Vs heart rate when riding just after dawn or early afternoon the only major difference I see is the water bottles don't last as long (summer training I take two big bottles on the bike and two under the saddle) and the stinging sweat in my eyes.

frenchyge said:
Essentially, yes, except that one is on the banned substance list and the other is not (at least, not until the Computrainer timetrial competition governing body discovers the performance enhancements that Tony has been experiencing while he's kicking everyone else's butts).

There are many substances that people use legally to enhance their training/racing, from caffeine to Gu gels. Nothing wrong with using any and all legal means to improve..... until the rules change of course, and then it's a horrible, horrible travesty. :)
It seems with my past that the only thing I don't have a lifetime ban maybe the Computrainer Timetrial competition. I better get in before they change the rules. :)

parawolf said:
I think the point here is that the majority of people think that using NSAIDs to aid your ability to 'suffer' through training is a bad concept.

You still think it is good. End of story.

Remember you have to have an open mind to listen to other peoples thoughts; but not so open that your brains fall out.

Sounds like your brains fell out in the NFL change room back in the late 80's and some janitor scooped them into the waste rather than lost property.
LOL! Now THAT was funny!!:D I'll simply just ignore you going forward as with your intellectual inability, this is an unfair fight...

For all of you that just can't wait for the next installment of this fascinating docu-drama, my next time trial is tomorrow. I'll keep you in suspense with regard to whether or not I'll be taking Ibuprofen beforehand...:D

My Ibuprofen dealer has been upset lately though as I haven't been using during the week:( - no Vo2 max workouts...she sees her sales dropping...oh well, is it possible the naysayers have got to me??????

Does your dealer have Mucinex in inventory?

This weekend I see me using a dose or two of Mucinex to enhance breathing performance, however, I think it will quickly impact my turns up front once my group starts to witness the relief of the chest congestion.

After this weekend Mucinex may become a banned substance within my group or I may be banned.:)

I must be famous, or is that infamous???:D There is current parody and satire of which my query is the subject. I hope they're sending the royalty checks soon because my Ibuprofen habit (what's left of it, I guess) is still pretty costly...

I'll still let my fans know how the TT goes tomorrow - with or without Ibuprofen. Now THAT is the question...seeeeee yaaaaa:D

tonyzackery said:
Uh, did you say something??

Really though, and this is my last reply as I don't do internet pissing matches, if you happen to check my original post I was asking if anyone else took Ibuprofen - not trying to start a debate about the practice. Simple fact of the matter is that it works for me, with no readily apparent ill effects.

Lastly and quite frankly, your opinion's worth to me is just a little bit less than the price I paid for it...Peace.:)
Tony... you really are able to get people offside and worked up in double quick time. People who just see you like you see them... a forum handle the same as the next guy. Either you are very sensitive... or you're mistaking debate for personal attack. Parawolf made a point that seemed reasonable. Jono just backed it up when you attacked it. And whilst someone's excellent cycling palmares and ability don't make someone a good person, considering Jono_L is probably twice as good as the next best cyclist on this forum (he has represented Australia in international competition), he might have something beneficial to add to the discussion if you just listen a bit, instead of jumping to a derisive post.

I didn't interpret your original post as saying that you only wanted yes/no answers. And even if you did... what's the harm of anyone challenging the practice? If a doctor posted that you could risk serious organ damage hypothetically.... would you just reject the advice as being off-topic? Do you feel you have all the information in the world on the effects of Ibuprofen? Are you using it in competition as well? Is getting into forum conflicts one of your main reasons for posting?

Crankyfeet said:
Tony... you really are able to get people offside and worked up in double quick time. People who just see you like you see them... a forum handle the same as the next guy. Either you are very sensitive... or you're mistaking debate for personal attack. Parawolf made a point that seemed reasonable. Jono just backed it up when you attacked it. And whilst someone's excellent cycling palmares and ability don't make someone a good person, considering Jono_L is probably twice as good as the next best cyclist on this forum (he has represented Australia in international competition), he might have something beneficial to add to the discussion if you just listen a bit, instead of jumping to a derisive post.

I didn't interpret your original post as saying that you only wanted yes/no answers. And even if you did... what's the harm of anyone challenging the practice? If a doctor posted that you could risk serious organ damage hypothetically.... would you just reject the advice as being off-topic? Do you feel you have all the information in the world on the effects of Ibuprofen? Are you using it in competition as well?
Another magnanimous post...Thanks...:D
You're just a bit too wordy for me, so I'll let this go...

jhuskey said:
I have taken Ibuprophen before a ride basically because I was feeling my age but I don't think it makes me homosexual, of course there those time that I don't like women that well but my penis has an insatiable and almost addictive need for vagina and the penis always wins the argument when it comes to a battle of wills.
So, I have ibuprophen, but not often.
I know you weren't saying this... but since you brought it up:

Ibuprofen diminishes sexual sensation.

Just saying. Try it if you don't believe me. It's great for preventing hangovers however if taken before going to sleep. And it can cause kidney damage if overused (a doctor has told me). But I don't have any research to back up the last claim.

tonyzackery said:
You're just a bit too wordy for me, so I'll let this go...
Having trouble with the long sentences are we?

I'll spell it out for, you see the previous 6 pages of **** posted here, you wanna know what the problem is?

It's YOU.

Jesus there's pig headed then there's pig headed..I bet no one wanted to be on your debating team at high school.

Crankyfeet said:
. or you're mistaking debate for personal attack. Parawolf made a point that seemed reasonable.
That's what I'm struggling to get Crankster, little innocent ol' Parawolf was merely suggesting a reason why he wouldn't do it, and somehow that was interpreted as a personal vendetta against mr angry himself. I just don't get how zackery managed to create such hostility...I mean how dare we have a differing opinion and invoke a little debate on a public forum!!

tonyzackery said:
For my on-going study, today I have NO delayed onset muscle soreness and I feel...
Your ongoing "study" is worthless if you are slowly damaging your kidneys leading to renal failure. AFAIK... symptoms won't be felt until it is too late.

Tony, Tony, Tony.... I've finally read from page 2 of this thread onwards. You really have to be RIGHT don't you. Some of the qualifications of those giving advice in this thread are so substantial... its actually very funny seeing you arguing with them. I've seen you argue about what is important in training with a national cyclist... ridicule the integrity and position in life of another top junior cyclist... reject the advice of two cycling coaches, one with an international reputation ... not accept any of the points made by a PHD exercise physiologist with deep involvement in cycling. All these qualified people gave you advice that differed a little from your world view (or clashed with your dependency maybe)... and you have not taken in one point or accepted that they might have anything to offer that may augment or alter your obvious "fountain" of knowledge. And the risk of these qualified people being right...could be severe negative health effects. And these are only the qualifications of the people I know. I suspect Dave (quoted below) is very, very qualified... judging from his posts here and from what I've read of his posts elsewhere.

The ONLY piece of advice you have appreciated in the thread so far...was from one of your prior supporting partners in pointless passive-aggressive forum arguments who advised of more drugs that you can take.

On the other hand Tony, I am not filled with faith that you really have that much knowledge at all... mainly derived from your observed penchant to resist and reject anything that disagrees with your views without seemingly any evaluation. Anyone with that attitude is not going to take in much. But... each to his own.

The refusal to even consider advice that favors questioning the taking of a substance, is also a behavioral symptom of dependency. Be careful.

Now go ahead and put me too on "ignore". What a handy function for a person who wants to be able to put his hands over his ears and make noises to avoid hearing others that disagree with him.

Ciao.

daveryanwyoming said:
Anyone else see the irony????

Come on Tony, you post a query on a public forum. Folks point to accepted research that suggests it really isn't a good idea. A PhD exercise physiologist with deep involvement in cycling tells you exactly why it isn't a very good idea and why it's probably as much placebo as anything else and you get awfully defensive. Why post this stuff if you're not open to feedback?

Yeah, I don't really think you're gonna start mugging folks to feed your Ibuprofen fix :) But I don't think it's strange that folks tend to push back on prophalactic use of pain killers as an ergogenic aid. Seems like an awful slippery slope to me.

And between the published reasons not to do it (slowed recovery, possible links to renal failure when associated with aerobic exercise, masking legitimate pain) and there being little evidence that it actually does much, you're probably not going to convince a lot of folks here...

But to be fair, I really don't care what you do prior to your CompuTrainer races, and I'm not terribly worried about your health. I'm sure you'll be fine and who'll ever know if you could have recovered better from your workouts, not exactly a controlled experiment here.

Good luck,
-Dave

Just carry a gun during the workout and if you feel any pain shoot the part that hurts.

LOL! What's really FUNNY is you guys with your panties all bunched up and MAD at me...and for what??? Because I won't say "OK, you're right, I'll stop using Ibuprofen...:D I'm not going to bother responding to you individually at this point, I'll just let you all fume and think you've won some debate...LOL! You guys "owned" (that's the term nowadays, right?) me on this one...

I must really be important for people to get so worked up. Maybe you guys are on the payroll for Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and you're mad because I'm not touting your product...yeah, that's it...gotta be...

Oh yeah, I'll STILL let you know the results of the TT this afternoon...

tonyzackery said:
Curious if anyone else does the above, or am I the only one. I take 200-400mgs before my L5 work to take that edge off as you know how painful these intervals are...Anybody?...
Taking any kind of pain killer while training is a bad idea, since the drug can mask the pain from injury, strain etc, leading to even worse injury, esp. if the reason you took the pain killer in the first place is pain from injury :D.