Ibuprofen before Vo2 max workouts? You too?

tonyzackery said:
LOL! What's really FUNNY is you guys with your panties all bunched up and MAD at me...
I'm starting to realise that this is perhaps one of your underlying forum objectives. It's an all-too-common occurrence I've noticed you seem to encourage with subtle as well as direct disrespect of other posters... and then acting aloof afterward when challenged. I'll leave you to it.

Ciao.

Crankyfeet said:
I'm starting to realise that this is perhaps one of your underlying forum objectives.
Yes, attention is all that's being gained (or sought) by the continuance of this 'discussion'. One simple question turned into 3 threads and one person getting their jollies over the perceived notoriety of being an internet celebrity.

I AM an internet celebrity - thanks to all of you!!! LOL! You all are so amusing in your derision for me - someone who has taken Ibuprofen before a training ride. The contempt you all hold is laughable...just goes to show the level of your egos, and the attempts you'll make at imposing your "rightness"...then when it doesn't get the desired effect, or when someone pushes back with the same **** you give, you get upset...how funny this really is...I'm at the point of just pushing buttons because I can; simple fact that you've exposed your "buttons" and allow me to push them at will makes this all the more fun...I want to ignore me, but your egos just won't allow it...

Anyway, back to my reporting: had a terrible TT today - with Ibuprofen, mind you. Down an average of almost 30 watts from last week. Oh well, back at it next week...There you go folks, some of you have ammunition to take potshots...:D

tonyzackery said:
I AM an internet celebrity - thanks to all of you!!! LOL! You all are so amusing in your derision for me - someone who has taken Ibuprofen before a training ride. The contempt you all hold is laughable...just goes to show the level of your egos, and the attempts you'll make at imposing your "rightness"...then when it doesn't get the desired effect, or when someone pushes back with the same **** you give, you get upset...how funny this really is...I'm at the point of just pushing buttons because I can; simple fact that you've exposed your "buttons" and allow me to push them at will makes this all the more fun...I want to ignore me, but your egos just won't allow it...

Anyway, back to my reporting: had a terrible TT today - with Ibuprofen, mind you. Down an average of almost 30 watts from last week. Oh well, back at it next week...There you go folks, some of you have ammunition to take potshots...:D
You'r ammunition enough meat-head.

Only one trained seal still jumping through the hoops I set up??? I thought for sure I would more of you jumping...oh well...:D

Back to the study, no delayed onset muscle soreness...maybe tomorrow...Anyway, I feel good and will do my normal 4-5 hour fast group ride.

In my analysis of the TT this afternoon I'm certain I failed to warm-up properly and just started out too hard. Burned too many matches early on and there's no such thing as resting and recovering in a TT - it's all time lost...Did the Ibuprofen assist today, I would say not. Did it hurt performance, I would say not, again. Is it possible that it facilitated my starting out too hard? Anything's possible but I took a couple before my TT last week as well and I didn't blow-up like I today...the study continues...

tonyzackery said:
Only one trained seal still jumping through the hoops I set up??? ...
Yes.

Nice try. Bluff your way out of it? ha! Keep digging mate.

In my own little world of cycling we faced discomfort yesterday that not many drugs could mask. :p

Out of my group only 4 us of showed up to struggle with a short (50 mile) ride and it took us 3 hours and 10 minutes. Most of it with 25+ mph head winds and cold rain.

I could have done like most of the group and stayed home on the trainer, but this was an opportunity to bend and shape the mind for uncomfortable situations. Not that sitting on a trainer for an hour plus isn't discomforting in itself.

It was my first time using a power meter in such winds. Being on a nearly flat road, giving it all I have at times and barely holding 14 mph and seeing watts at times going up and over 400.

I clearly got to see why wind is such a nasty foe by using the PM and why it can feel harder than a mountain climb. The cold rain just to add another little stinger. The whole time I was keeping positive thoughts trying to bend the mental outlook to the positive side.

Still I need to work on mental toughness.

A few more pages of this and we should probably rename this thread to "Ibuprofen's killing me but ................."

:D

tonyzackery said:
I must be famous, or is that infamous???:D
Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!

The late great Kenneth Williams; Carry on Cleo 1964.
This thread is nearly as entertaining...
After days of trying not to post, sorry just couldn't help myself

tonyzackery said:
Only one trained seal still jumping through the hoops I set up??? I thought for sure I would more of you jumping...oh well...:D

Back to the study, no delayed onset muscle soreness...maybe tomorrow...Anyway, I feel good and will do my normal 4-5 hour fast group ride.

In my analysis of the TT this afternoon I'm certain I failed to warm-up properly and just started out too hard. Burned too many matches early on and there's no such thing as resting and recovering in a TT - it's all time lost...Did the Ibuprofen assist today, I would say not. Did it hurt performance, I would say not, again. Is it possible that it facilitated my starting out too hard? Anything's possible but I took a couple before my TT last week as well and I didn't blow-up like I today...the study continues...
How long was this time trial?

Maybe it's just me but no muscle soreness or discomfort after an important time trial = not riding hard enough. There's a reason why time trials are referred to as "the race of truth." If you can't deal with sore legs then why are you riding them? Sounds like you pussed out there buddy. If your FTP really is in the 360 to 370 watts range then you should have been motoring along somewhere between 26 to 28mph and put in a good performance. I know from experience that with that power you should be getting at least a low 21 minute ride for 10 miles or 53 to 55 minutes for a 25 without too much in the way of fancy gear. If you're riding a road bike and holding onto the tops then it's a whole different ballgame. Given that you have a powermeter you had no excuse to start to hard. Ibuprofen had nothing to do with your too fast start. Even if the bike you used for the time trial didn't have a powermeter you should have enough experience to figure out how to start correctly.

Spend less time popping the pils. A TT is not a Tablet Taking competition... ;)

swampy1970 said:
How long was this time trial?

Maybe it's just me but no muscle soreness or discomfort after an important time trial = not riding hard enough. There's a reason why time trials are referred to as "the race of truth." If you can't deal with sore legs then why are you riding them? Sounds like you pussed out there buddy. If your FTP really is in the 360 to 370 watts range then you should have been motoring along somewhere between 26 to 28mph and put in a good performance. I know from experience that with that power you should be getting at least a low 21 minute ride for 10 miles or 53 to 55 minutes for a 25 without too much in the way of fancy gear. If you're riding a road bike and holding onto the tops then it's a whole different ballgame. Given that you have a powermeter you had no excuse to start to hard. Ibuprofen had nothing to do with your too fast start. Even if the bike you used for the time trial didn't have a powermeter you should have enough experience to figure out how to start correctly.

Spend less time popping the pils. A TT is not a Tablet Taking competition... ;)
Pal, you're coming in awfully late...before I even get started with you, you need to read the preceding pages...you just don't know what you're dealing with...you really should go back and stay underneath the rock from whence you came...it'll do your ego some good...:D

Furthermore, and until such time as you become ordained, keep your preaching on the street corners and try stepping on the soapbox - you might be heard a little better...

Oh yeah, got sidetracked for a moment...found the 30 watts I lost yesterday - it's called making sure your rear brakes are fully released! Doh! Discovered my brakes were dragging bigtime this morning as I headed out for the group ride (NO IBUPROFEN! LOL!). First time for everything...

This is definitely a blessing in disguise as of course I was examining EVERYTHING in my lead-up to the TT yesterday as a possible cause for a disappearance of 30 watts. Glad to know it was something simple and quickly fixable...

tonyzackery said:
Oh yeah, got sidetracked for a moment...found the 30 watts I lost yesterday - it's called making sure your rear brakes are fully released! Doh! Discovered my brakes were dragging bigtime this morning as I headed out for the group ride (NO IBUPROFEN! LOL!). First time for everything...

This is definitely a blessing in disguise as of course I was examining EVERYTHING in my lead-up to the TT yesterday as a possible cause for a disappearance of 30 watts. Glad to know it was something simple and quickly fixable...

did you estimate your watts from speed? the brakes shouldn't affect the amount of watts you produce. it should only affect your time/speed.

tonyzackery said:

Your Power meter is giving you some 'dodgy' readings...if your brakes were on, the wattage doesn't change...your speed will...so you shouldn't have 'lost wattage', only speed....(unless you're using 1 of those dodgy brothers PM's that measure wind or something?)....you sure you know what you're talking about?...have another ibuprofen & a good lie down, you'll feel better tomorrow

egg-on-face1.jpg

tonyzackery said:
Pal, you're coming in awfully late...before I even get started with you, you need to read the preceding pages...you just don't know what you're dealing with...you really should go back and stay underneath the rock from whence you came...it'll do your ego some good...:D

Furthermore, and until such time as you become ordained, keep your preaching on the street corners and try stepping on the soapbox - you might be heard a little better...
The only thing late in this thread is you crossing the finish line in the time trial. Next time get the pills with a child safety cap on - that should keep you from popping them everytime you think your little leggies might hurt. Don't know what I'm dealing with? You're right - you're a grown man acting like a small spoiled child. "My legs hurt, call the whaaambulance..."

So what was distance and your time for the event?

Jono L said:
With so much egg on his face, do you think he'll be able to save his bacon or will this thread mushroom into something as large and "debateable" as the It's Killing Me Thread? I'll be the first one to toast his success if he posts up a result that's around 28mph - something worthy of his posted FTP.

Only three trained seals still jumping through the hoops...and to think I thought Cranky would still be jumping the highest...Regardless, it's delightful to know I've still got a couple clamoring for my attention and waiting for my next entry to this docudrama...:D LOL! I'll make sure to keep you all hopping and be sure to throw you some treats when you obey my commands...

Anyway... dr. spoc, as previously mentioned this is a Computrainer TT series, and as such rear wheel speed is how wattage is calculated. With the brake block rubbing on rim and slowing the wheel, I surmise calculated wattage output would be adversely affected. I would like to hope so, but if not and I'm wrong, no big deal - we're still in the "pre-season" of the series and the first 4 TTs don't count for points yet...