General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ice axe *or* crampons?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 128 posts · 1,559 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 May 2006
Last activity
28 May 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
128
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,559
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 128
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In message <[email hidden]>

    Alan Dicey said:
    Peter Clinch said:


    Pretty much the same you do with an axe, and I speak from personal
    experience of having done it a couple of times. Does it work as well?
    No. Does it work well enough? that depends on the situation, but it
    did for me... the sort of places you're using a pole for support in
    preference to an ice axe it ought to.
    Why wasn't I carrying an axe in my hands? Because I was skiing!

    I will take your word for it, but I'd still like to know how you use a
    pole to self-arrest, and you can't get away with saying "pretty much the
    same as you do with an axe" because they are completely different in
    shape, size and rigidity. And your practiced ice-axe arrests are going
    to be no use at all, you need to practice the ski-pole arrest, with
    crampon complications.

    If you spend a lot of time skiing you can get to practice using a pole
    for arrest. You can also practice with the added complications of two
    skis still attached, or one ski still attached, or both skis detached!

    Quoted message said:


    The pole is surely attached to your wrist at the top with a strap (or
    do ski-pole have sliding straps?), making it impossible to get hold
    of the stick near the point, which is the only way I can see you
    stopping a slide.

    That is an interesting point. Very often when skiing, particularly
    ski-touring you don't use the straps. When traversing a slope in
    walking mode you frequently have to hold one pole lower down on the
    shaft than the other, and when you change direction you need to change
    the grip on each pole. It's similar to changing your ice axe between
    hands. If you have your wrists through the loops it just slows you down
    and makes this adjustment of grip difficult, for both use of pole (and
    similarly for an axe). Secondly in a situation where you might fall or
    be avalanched it is often a better option to be able to let go of your
    pole(s) (and also in some circumstances your axe) rather than have them
    flailing around at the ends of your arms, possibly causing more injury,
    or assisting in dragging you deeper into the avalanche.

    The technique for using a pole for arrest, assuming you haven't got your
    wrist loops on, is to discard one of the two poles and then to work your
    hands down the shaft of the other until you can apply pressure nearer
    the tip, forcing it into the snow.

    Quoted message said:


    The poster is proposing to go where crampons are needed with only
    poles as backup. I can only assume that he is planning never to fall,
    or never to go where a fall will put him in danger of sliding over a
    drop. The former case is sheer madness, so he must be talking of
    terrain that is benign, gentle slopes or none at all and masses of
    room to stop with no danger of a cliff spoiling your day. Not the
    sort of terrain I have ever come across on winter walks, hence my
    choice of axe always, crampons sometimes.

    What about winter walks in terrain such as you might encounter in the
    Yorkshire dales, or the Peak District, or the South Downs? There are
    also plenty of walks within Wales, the Lake District and Scotland where
    you might encounter similar terrain. Certainly I can think of lots of
    walking terrain in the Alps and the Jurra that offers similar winter
    walking potential. In such circumstances as I've pointed out before,
    poles, snow-shoes (and perhaps crampons), together with a snow shovel,
    probe and transceiver, are a better first choice than an axe.

    Mike
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

  2. In message <[email hidden]>

    Alan Dicey said:
    Tom Crispin said:
    Alan Dicey said:


    Please tell us all how you can self-arrest with a walking pole.

    If you tell me where a claim to be able do so was made first.

    It is implied in your statement that you would set out on a winter walk
    with crampons and poles and no ice-axe. You are therefore planning to
    go where crampons are necessary. To me that means terrain where, should
    you lose your footing, you will be in danger of an uncontrolled slide
    and subsequent high-energy encounter with the scenery.

    Actually the original post that started this thread was based on the
    observation that in some parts of the world it is more common to see
    people choosing one combination of equipment than another.

    There is no doubt that the common teaching in the UK is that an axe is
    the first and foremost choice of equipment for winter. But that is a
    teaching that is generalised to the UK experience of winter
    mountaineering and carried on down through into hill-walking (and then
    it is increasingly being applied to winter walking).

    However in many other countries people learn to deal with winter snow in
    different ways. Young people in scandanavia and the alps will learn to
    get about in winter first and foremost using snowshoes and skis, with
    poles. They don't need to use an ice-axe unless they are venturing onto
    steeper slopes and going winter climbing and mountaineering (rather than
    what we are talking about which is "winter walking"😉.

    Because of this difference in background experience, and having
    different winter skills, you'll encounter situations and winter
    conditions where one person would be inclined to continue to use poles
    and snowshoes or crampons, where another might decide an axe was
    necessary. These people are using what they are comfortable with based
    on their experience, knowledge and personal skills. To simply adopt the
    arrogant sounding position that only the UK custom and practice is right
    is absurd.

    Mike
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

  3. Alan Dicey said:

    I will take your word for it, but I'd still like to know how you use a
    pole to self-arrest, and you can't get away with saying "pretty much the
    same as you do with an axe" because they are completely different in
    shape, size and rigidity. And your practiced ice-axe arrests are going
    to be no use at all, you need to practice the ski-pole arrest, with
    crampon complications.

    The most fundamental point in starting an arrest with anything, be it a
    pole, or an axe, or the tiptoes of your boots, is to get into the
    braking position which is face down and feet first. So far, pole is
    just like an axe, and indeed just like a no-tools arrest.

    After that you need a brake point, which will be the tip of the pole
    rather than the pick or adze of the axe. And you want as much weight on
    it as possible, applied progressively. Again, this is just the same as
    with an axe. So much the same, in fact, that it doesn't involve
    separate practice. The first time I did a ski pole arrest I'd fallen on
    my skis and was sliding. I'd never practised a pole arrest, knew all
    about axe arrests, stopped myself.

    Quoted message said:

    The pole is surely attached to your wrist at the top with a strap (or do
    ski-pole have sliding straps?), making it impossible to get hold of the
    stick near the point, which is the only way I can see you stopping a slide.

    You've got two hands and you only need to one point in. The other hand
    will be over a meter away which makes it considerably more awkward, but
    not impossible, as I know from doing it a couple of times "in anger".

    Quoted message said:

    The poster is proposing to go where crampons are needed with only poles
    as backup. I can only assume that he is planning never to fall, or never
    to go where a fall will put him in danger of sliding over a drop. The
    former case is sheer madness

    On a big sheet of water ice, which is what you've got after a big thaw
    and sudden refreeze, the former case is what you've got even if you've
    an axe. You won't self arrest on hard ice. You might see it as "sheer
    madness", in which case stay home.

    Quoted message said:

    so he must be talking of terrain that is
    benign, gentle slopes or none at all and masses of room to stop with no
    danger of a cliff spoiling your day. Not the sort of terrain I have
    ever come across on winter walks

    Have a look at the Cairngorm plateau: plenty of terrain that fits that
    descrption. Wander up to the Great Moss from Glen Feshie and that could
    describe your day fairly well.

    Quoted message said:

    I wasn't voluntary :-) And how did you know it was an old t-shirt?

    Round here we have things called "washing machines"! ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you were going on a winter walk where some snow/ice was likely, but
    nothing particularly difficult or dangerous, which would you take
    first, and why? (Note the emphasis on walk - I don't mean
    front-pointing up gullies.)

    I used to think the decision was considered straightforward, but I find
    that the majority of people I encounter in the hills (round here at
    least - which is Japan) make the opposing decision.

    Not owning any crampons, I tend to just use an ice axe. Even then I have
    never really needed either in March/April. Occasionally there are snow
    slopes where you have to kick a bit to get grip but nothing so serious as
    needing crampons.

  5. "Alan Dicey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Crispin said:


    If you are carrying a pole, crampons.

    If you are not carrying a pole, ice axe.

    <splort!>

    Okay, apart from the keyboard, screen and t-shirt you owe me...

    Please tell us all how you can self-arrest with a walking pole.

    To be perfectly honest if it was a choice between dying horribly falling a
    long way or jamming a walking pole into the ice, I would make a way to make
    it arrest a fall ;-)

  6. Rob Devereux said:

    Not owning any crampons, I tend to just use an ice axe. Even then I have
    never really needed either in March/April.

    This year, winter conditions really got going at the start of March and
    were very much still there in April...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Step cutting comes into its own when only intermittent hard patches
    are encountered - a common occurrance.

    Was rather fun havingto do this at 700m on the west coast in April
    mind - the pleasures of an old fashioned Spring.

    Richard Webb

  8. The message <[email hidden]>
    from "Rob Devereux" <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    Not owning any crampons, I tend to just use an ice axe. Even then I have
    never really needed either in March/April. Occasionally there are snow
    slopes where you have to kick a bit to get grip but nothing so serious as
    needing crampons.

    One Easter many moons ago I and a friend were heading up one of the more
    obscure Munros at the West end of Glencoe*. We were following footprints
    in some pretty soggy snow on a gloomy day when we were passed by a pair
    descending who looked decidedly glum and didn't return our greeting
    (which was unusual in those days). A few hundred feet higher the
    footprints abruptly stopped as the soggy snow turned to iron hard in
    just a few feet. Too hard to kick steps and crampons were a must. I had
    some difficulty getting mine on as the slope was quite steep and I
    didn't retreat to the soft stuff.

    *Looking at the map that would have been Sgor na h'Ulaidh and the year
    was 1980.
    --
    Roger Chapman

  9. On Mon, 8 May 2006 17:31:05 +0100, Roger <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    One Easter many moons ago I and a friend were heading up one of the more
    obscure Munros at the West end of Glencoe*. We were following footprints
    in some pretty soggy snow on a gloomy day when we were passed by a pair
    descending who looked decidedly glum and didn't return our greeting
    (which was unusual in those days). A few hundred feet higher the
    footprints abruptly stopped as the soggy snow turned to iron hard in
    just a few feet. Too hard to kick steps and crampons were a must. I had
    some difficulty getting mine on as the slope was quite steep and I
    didn't retreat to the soft stuff.

    *Looking at the map that would have been Sgor na h'Ulaidh and the year
    was 1980.

    That brings back nasty memories. A few years after your experience I
    and a friend were descending the same hill at a similar time of year.
    There was very little snow about so we'd left the axes and crampons in
    the car. We came to a short steep section of ridge around halfway down
    and rather than risk scrambling decided to play safe and traverse into
    the corrie across several patches of good hard snow.... except the
    third patch was rotten and sent me on a 200ft slide and tumble into
    the boulders below. Luckily I got away with nothing worse than severe
    bruising and shock, but it taught me a valuable lesson.
    Al
    --
    [This space left intentionally blank]

  10. In message <[email hidden]>

    Roger said:

    A few hundred feet higher the footprints abruptly stopped as the soggy
    snow turned to iron hard in just a few feet. Too hard to kick steps
    and crampons were a must. I had some difficulty getting mine on as the
    slope was quite steep and I didn't retreat to the soft stuff.

    I had an interesting experience trying to get crampons on just a few
    weeks ago. We were ski-touring and traversing the Pigne D'Arolla
    from the Dix Hut near Arolla in Switzerland. There is a steep shoulder
    just before you approach the summit. We had set up the shoulder on skis,
    using ski-crampons, hoping that the snow would be suitable all the way
    to the top. After a point of difficult return it became clear that the
    slope was getting very icey and that ordinary crampons would be better
    than skis and ski-crampons. To add extra excitement it was blowing a
    gale and was tending towards whiteout conditions and also the run-out
    potential wasn't pleasant and included some crevasses!

    To accomplish this I had to shuffle up to just behind my wife whilst we
    both balanced on our skis, and then extract an ice-axe from her
    rucksack. With the axe I then chopped out a platform for her whilst
    balancing on my skis, and she then stepped from her skis to the
    platform, whilst I stopped her skis from slidding away. Having then
    handed her the skis to stow on her rucksack and whilst she put on her
    crampons, I then had to shuffle back a few feet and chop out a platform
    of my own and step off of my skis to the platform and again without
    loosing either ski. It was all fairly precarious.

    Mike
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

  11. On 6 May 2006 02:14:28 -0700, "Bedspring" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    You can go with an ice axe but no crampons, but you should not take
    crampons and no ice axe because GENERALLY crampons can get you into
    trouble and the ice axe can get you out of trouble.

    On the contrary, an axe might (or might not) stop you if you fall, but
    crampons keep you out of trouble by stopping you falling in the first
    place.

    So the answer to the question is crampons.

    Or buy one of those super-lightweight axes and take both :-)

    S.
    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state
    http://www.no2id.com/

  12. Alan Dicey said:


    Please tell us all how you can self-arrest with a walking pole.

    If you're wearing crampons then you won't fall over in the first
    place.

    Those who say you must take an axe so you can stop yourself when you
    fall over are making 2 mistakes.
    1. You're basing your choices on the assumption that you will fall
    over. Why? You don't do that in the summer (or you'd use a rope and
    wear a helmet on all walks).
    2. You're assuming that if you have an axe then you will be able to
    stop. On ice or hard neve, the chances that it will help are slim -
    unless you manage to get the axe in before you've built up any spewed
    at all, and in that case, a pole would do almost as well.

    S.

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state
    http://www.no2id.com/

  13. Simon Caldwell said:

    1. You're basing your choices on the assumption that you will fall
    over. Why? You don't do that in the summer (or you'd use a rope and
    wear a helmet on all walks).

    Ahem...

    This topic has been debated ad infinitum on uk.rec.cycling. A helmet
    does nothing to prevent a fall, indeed, it does little to protect in
    the event of a fall. When climbing it offers good protection against
    falling rocks.

  14. Tom Crispin said:


    This topic has been debated ad infinitum on uk.rec.cycling. A helmet
    does nothing to prevent a fall, indeed, it does little to protect in
    the event of a fall. When climbing it offers good protection against
    falling rocks.

    But we're not talking about cycling. A climbing helmet can and does
    prevent serious injury or death in the event of a fall. Cycling
    helmets and climbing helmets are different things - which is why a
    cycling helmet, though better than nothing, is not that much use for
    climbing.

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state
    http://www.no2id.com/

  15. Simon Caldwell writes
    <If you're wearing crampons then you won't fall over in the first
    place. >

    I would be pretty concerned about going on the hills with you, having
    made a sweeping statement like that. Mountaineering is a hazard sport
    and all hazards can occur and therefore must be allowed for - you must
    make allowance for all eventuallities if you are in a dangerous place,
    and that does include circumstances in which one loses one balance for
    any of a number of reasons.

    The original poster did quite categorically state easy terrain for his
    crampon use and as such perhaps the likelihood of a fall is less
    likely. My concern about this reference to easy terrain is how one
    gets on and off it if indeed it is a flat hill top, or the Cairngorm
    plateau as referenced elsewhere in this thread. I have my doubts as to
    whether there is 'easy terrain' in this country which could freeze in
    the manner suggested and has equally easy access which doesn't
    represent a hazard when ascending or descending.

    A circumstance I have rarely met in the Scottish hills is that
    mentioned elsewhere about frozen paths - I could well see that crampons
    and poles might work better here where there is clearly no risk of a
    fall leading to a life threatening slide.

    Rob

  16. In message <[email hidden]>, Rob
    G <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Simon Caldwell writes
    <If you're wearing crampons then you won't fall over in the first
    place. >

    I would be pretty concerned about going on the hills with you, having
    made a sweeping statement like that. Mountaineering is a hazard sport
    and all hazards can occur and therefore must be allowed for - you must
    make allowance for all eventuallities if you are in a dangerous place,
    and that does include circumstances in which one loses one balance for
    any of a number of reasons.

    The original poster did quite categorically state easy terrain for his
    crampon use and as such perhaps the likelihood of a fall is less
    likely. My concern about this reference to easy terrain is how one
    gets on and off it if indeed it is a flat hill top, or the Cairngorm
    plateau as referenced elsewhere in this thread. I have my doubts as to
    whether there is 'easy terrain' in this country which could freeze in
    the manner suggested and has equally easy access which doesn't
    represent a hazard when ascending or descending.

    A circumstance I have rarely met in the Scottish hills is that
    mentioned elsewhere about frozen paths - I could well see that crampons
    and poles might work better here where there is clearly no risk of a
    fall leading to a life threatening slide.


    On the day on the Cairngorm plateau referenced earlier by me there was
    ice everywhere and the only snow was on easy terrain. An ice axe would
    have been better than nothing as a support but poles were far more
    useful. Crampons were essential unless you wanted to hop from rock to
    rock, hoping not to slip, and take a very roundabout route. I went up
    the north west slopes of Cairn Lochan above Lurcher's Meadows. Half way
    up the amount of ice in relation to bare ground increased enough for me
    to realise progress would be a great deal easier with crampons so I
    stopped and put them on. I then kept them on until near the bottom of
    the Fiacaill a' Choire Chais. An ice axe arrest would not have been
    possible anywhere except maybe on some gentle snow slopes on the plateau
    where a slide would not have been dangerous. The biggest danger was not
    a long slide but falling heavily onto a rock or sliding a few feet into
    one. Poles and crampons were fine for minimising the risk of this
    happening.

    Six weeks later I did the same route in reverse on skis and again used
    poles throughout. I did have axe and crampons with me but used neither.
    Then in April I did a walk in the Glen Affric hills in deep snow and
    again used poles rather than an axe.

    I wouldn't go onto the snowy hills in Britain without an axe but it's
    not always necessary to use one and poles can be more useful in some
    circumstances. Crampons can be more use at times too.

  17. On 8 May 2006 13:56:35 -0700, "Rob G" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Mountaineering is a hazard sport
    and all hazards can occur and therefore must be allowed for - you must
    make allowance for all eventuallities if you are in a dangerous place,

    If you make allowance for too many eventualities then you'll never go
    anywhere.

    The reason for wearing crampons (in a walking rather than climbing
    context) is to avoid falling over. The reason for carrying an ice axe
    (in the same context) is to try to save yourself once you have already
    fallen.

    Therefore, the use of crampons must prevent more accidents than the
    use of an axe.

    :-)

    S.

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state
    http://www.no2id.com/

  18. On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:56:16 +0100, Simon Caldwell
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    ... >On 6 May 2006 02:14:28 -0700, "Bedspring" <[email hidden]>
    ... >wrote:
    ... >>
    ... >>You can go with an ice axe but no crampons, but you should not take
    ... >>crampons and no ice axe because GENERALLY crampons can get you into
    ... >>trouble and the ice axe can get you out of trouble.
    ... >
    ... >On the contrary, an axe might (or might not) stop you if you fall, but
    ... >crampons keep you out of trouble by stopping you falling in the first
    ... >place.
    ... >
    ..

    You obviously have never stuck a 12 point crampon into the opposite
    leg's gaitor by accident then ?

    Mike P

  19. In message <[email hidden]>

    Rob G said:

    Simon Caldwell writes
    <If you're wearing crampons then you won't fall over in the first
    place. >

    I would be pretty concerned about going on the hills with you, having
    made a sweeping statement like that. Mountaineering is a hazard sport
    and all hazards can occur and therefore must be allowed for - you must
    make allowance for all eventuallities if you are in a dangerous place,
    and that does include circumstances in which one loses one balance for
    any of a number of reasons.

    Look that in its own right is also a sweeping and stupid statement.

    Yes mountaineering is a hazardous sport and people who take part need to
    be aware that they should exercise judgement and take personal
    responsibility for their own safety and the safety of others. But that
    certainly doesn't mean that everybody has to make the same decision in
    the same circumstance, particularly about the most appropriate use of
    equipment.

    As a rock climber I appreciate very much that others have greater
    ability and nerve than me, and will climb easily up routes that I would
    struggle or fail on. Indeed many of these climbers would solo on routes
    that I would only attempt using a rope and protection. Does that make
    them wrong to climb un-roped? Equally even though I am only a low grade
    climber I might be happy without a rope where some walkers would insist
    on using a rope. Does that me wrong in that situation? Making allowance
    for eventualities doesn't mean using full safety equipment and
    protection all the time. You have to allow for differences in judgement
    based on peoples personal experience and skills. Sometimes they'll get
    it wrong.

    Quoted message said:


    The original poster did quite categorically state easy terrain for his
    crampon use and as such perhaps the likelihood of a fall is less
    likely. My concern about this reference to easy terrain is how one
    gets on and off it if indeed it is a flat hill top, or the Cairngorm
    plateau as referenced elsewhere in this thread. I have my doubts as
    to whether there is 'easy terrain' in this country which could freeze
    in the manner suggested and has equally easy access which doesn't
    represent a hazard when ascending or descending.

    As I've pointed out to you you'll find ski slopes crowded with folk who
    don't carry, and often wouldn't know how to use an ice-axe. In case you
    hadn't noticed there is a big ski area on the Cairngorms. If you're
    telling me that it is always unsafe for folk to venture onto the
    Cairngorms without an ice-axe someone should go and stop all those
    skiers. Also what about Aonach Mor or White Corries? There are folk up
    there in winter without ice-axes as well!

    Quoted message said:


    A circumstance I have rarely met in the Scottish hills is that
    mentioned elsewhere about frozen paths -

    A situation I've encountered several times throughout the UK, including
    a notable time when I was walking up Pen-y-Ghent.

    Quoted message said:

    I could well see that crampons and poles might work better here where
    there is clearly no risk of a fall leading to a life threatening
    slide.

    Rob

    I've a question for you? Have you ever tried downhill skiing or
    snowboarding? Did you take an ice-axe?

    Mike
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

  20. In message <[email hidden]>

    Simon Caldwell said:

    On 8 May 2006 13:56:35 -0700, "Rob G" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Mountaineering is a hazard sport
    and all hazards can occur and therefore must be allowed for - you must
    make allowance for all eventuallities if you are in a dangerous place,

    If you make allowance for too many eventualities then you'll never go
    anywhere.

    The reason for wearing crampons (in a walking rather than climbing
    context) is to avoid falling over. The reason for carrying an ice axe
    (in the same context) is to try to save yourself once you have already
    fallen.

    Therefore, the use of crampons must prevent more accidents than the
    use of an axe.

    :-)

    S.

    Yes then of course you also have to consider what axe you happen to be
    carrying. I tend to carry a medium length semi-technical Mountain
    Technology axe when winter hill-walking and mountaineering. That axe is
    an ideal length when used on easier grade climbing terrain, Grade I to
    III, but that also means it's not ideal as a walking support on easier
    ground. Thus I use poles for much of the walking, changing to the axe if
    I think it is warranted. When ski-mountaineering I compromise even
    further by carrying a shorter lightweight touring axe. That is even less
    useful as a walking aid so I frequently use the poles for longer until
    the ground becomes much steeper. I'm sure there will be many on this
    group who favour longer shafted dedicated walking axes, and they will
    tend to use them on much easier grade terrain and instead of poles.

    As I keep saying the choice of equipment is as much about personal
    preference, knowledge and skills as anything else and there aren't clear
    objective rules that can be written down on tablets of stone for all to
    worship.

    Mike
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.