Ice Blocks for Diabetics?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Nev., Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Nev.

    Nev. Guest

    In the centre of the universe where I live it is mid summer, and I would love to be able to eat
    lovely cold, sweet ice blocks just like pre diabetic times.

    Does anyone know of any very low sugar ice blocks?

    I have been thinking of taking some diet cordial, i.e. .5% sugar, adding some equal or splenda, and
    maybe gelatine, and trying that.

    Has anybody in this news group got a low -> zero sugar recipe for ice blocks that works?

    TIA,

    Nev.

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:57:01 +1000, "Nev."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In the centre of the universe where I live it is mid summer, and I would love to be able to eat
    >lovely cold, sweet ice blocks just like pre diabetic times.
    >
    >Does anyone know of any very low sugar ice blocks?
    >
    >I have been thinking of taking some diet cordial, i.e. .5% sugar, adding some equal or splenda, and
    >maybe gelatine, and trying that.
    >
    >Has anybody in this news group got a low -> zero sugar recipe for ice blocks that works?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Nev.

    Hi Nev

    Nice to hear from a mate from this side of the equator.

    I do the following for a cool drink. Turning it into an ice-block may work. Juice enough citrus
    (orange, lime, lemon, "lemonade", shaddock, whatever) to fill an ice-cube tray. Freeze. Add one or
    two cubes to a
    1.25 litre diet lemonade or cola; or add a cube to a glass before serving. Preferrably use the cheap
    "home" brands for this.

    For an ice block, add the juice direct to your bottle then pour into your mould before freezing. If
    you only add the equivalent of a couple of ice-cubes it is enough to improve the flavour without
    significantly increasing the carbs from fructose. Experiment.

    Incidentally, for cool drinks, Saxby's have just come out with Cherry Cheer and Creaming Soda to add
    to their Ginger Beer. You could probably freeze those too. I think they are available in all Bi-Lo
    and Coles. I find LA Ice to be the best of the diet colas, but it's all a matter of personal taste.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

  3. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Nev." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In the centre of the universe where I live it is mid summer, and I would love to be able to eat
    > lovely cold, sweet ice blocks just like pre diabetic times.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any very low sugar ice blocks?
    >
    > I have been thinking of taking some diet cordial, i.e. .5% sugar, adding some equal or splenda,
    > and maybe gelatine, and trying that.
    >
    > Has anybody in this news group got a low -> zero sugar recipe for ice blocks that works?

    Not sure where you live or what an ice block is. In the US, we have sugar free Popsicles and ice
    pops. You do have to check the carb count though. Even though they are sugar free, they do contain a
    few carbs, and some more than others. Some also contain the dreaded sugar alcohols.

    You can make your own frozen pops by using any type of sugar free drink. Either buy molds to make
    them in, or use paper cups and use wooden sticks or plastic spoons as handles. If using this method,
    wait until the pops are partially frozen and then insert the sticks so they stay in there straight.

    I have a snow cone maker. Actually, I have two. I bought a used, cheap crank model. Works fine, but
    it's a lot of effort if you want to make a lot of them. And between my husband, daughter, and the
    neighborhood kids, it gets a lot of use. So I waited for a good sale and bought and electric model.
    Now I can get shaved ice in an instant! I also bought one for my brother's birthday, which was
    yesterday. Got a really bargain price on his since it is winter here. There are many different
    brands of sugar free syrup you can buy. They are usually sweetened with either Splenda or Aspartame.
    I buy mine online either at places that sell syrups for flavored coffee or making your own soda at
    home, or at places that sell syrup for snow cones. You can also make your own syrup using an
    unsweetened powdered drink mix and adding your own sweetener. The trick is to not add as much water
    as you would for making a drink. You need the flavor to be more concentrated.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  4. Nev.

    Nev. Guest

    At the moment I am experimenting in parallel with a fruit drink and a fruit ice block.

    For the fruit drink, I am experimenting with mixing a diet fruit crush cordial with a sugar content
    of 0.2% with a fruit juice, say orange, that is diluted 1 in 4 or 5 parts of water and then has the
    sweetness added back in with splenda or whatever. This may give, hopefully, a much stronger fruit
    taste with a much lower sugar level.

    The ice block will follow similar principles.

    Golden Circle, in Brisbane, has three very nice diet drinks, orange-mango, orange-passionfruit and
    lemon-lime. The rumour is that Coca-Cola may be going to take them over.

    I will probably look around to see if I can find some information on the snow cone maker Julie
    mentioned.

    Nev.

    "Alan" wrote ...

    > I do the following for a cool drink. Juice enough citrus (orange, lime, lemon, "lemonade",
    > shaddock, whatever) to fill an ice-cube tray. Freeze. Add one or two cubes to a 1.25 litre diet
    > lemonade or cola; or add a cube to a glass before serving. Preferrably use the cheap "home" brands
    > for this.

  5. Ozgirl

    Ozgirl Guest

    "Nev." <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At the moment I am experimenting in parallel with a
    fruit
    > drink and a fruit ice block.

    I like diet coke or diet lemonade and now Saxby's have a new range of diet soft drinks as well as
    their diet ginger beer - creaming soda, a pineapple one and one other I forget. I prefer soft drink
    ice blocks to cordial myself.

  6. Nev.

    Nev. Guest

    The way I am mixing the cordial and the orange juice, the orange juice is the dominant taste, not
    the cordial.

    Nev.

    "Ozgirl" wrote ...

    I prefer soft drink ice blocks to cordial myself.