Ice Cream Maker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ve La, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Ve La

    Ve La Guest

    Howdy.

    Somehow, I have convinced myself that it is time to dabble in making
    homemade ice cream. So, I am shopping around for an ice cream machine.
    So far, I know that I don't want one of the really old fashioned models
    that need ice and salt. The most common ones I have seen seem to be made
    by Cuisinart. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on models of ice
    cream makers - issues with cleaning? Type of product you get (I'd like
    one that can make fluffy lemon ice if possible), other considerations?
    Thanks.

    I am even fantasizing about the Gelato Chef 2200.

    Anyone used one before? Or can talk about some place that has reviewed
    ice cream machines?

    Thanks all!

    Tags:

  2. "Ve La" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > The most common ones I have seen seem to be made
    > by Cuisinart. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on models of ice
    > cream makers - issues with cleaning?

    Works for me. Had it about 6 or 7 years now.

    > I am even fantasizing about the Gelato Chef 2200.

    I can't justify that cost for my uses but it does look nifty.

  3. pgluth1

    pgluth1 Guest

    Love to hear more on this subject. I am looking for an ice cream maker too
    but desire one that is as small as possible yet still functional. Moreover,
    in the war against counter-clutter, I was wondering if anyone had tried the
    KitchenAid attachment for making ice cream. Although more expensive than
    many stand alone machines, would be quite advantageous to me (if it worked,
    that is) since I use my KitchenAid almost every day and it never leaves the
    counter top.

  4. pgluth1

    pgluth1 Guest

    Love to hear more on this subject. I am looking for an ice cream maker too
    but desire one that is as small as possible yet still functional. Moreover,
    in the war against counter-clutter, I was wondering if anyone had tried the
    KitchenAid attachment for making ice cream. Although more expensive than
    many stand alone machines, would be quite advantageous to me (if it worked,
    that is) since I use my KitchenAid almost every day and it never leaves the
    counter top.

  5. Pete C.

    Pete C. Guest

    pgluth1 wrote:

    > Love to hear more on this subject. I am looking for an ice cream maker too
    > but desire one that is as small as possible yet still functional. Moreover,
    > in the war against counter-clutter, I was wondering if anyone had tried the
    > KitchenAid attachment for making ice cream. Although more expensive than
    > many stand alone machines, would be quite advantageous to me (if it worked,
    > that is) since I use my KitchenAid almost every day and it never leaves the
    > counter top.

    I have one of the KitchenAid units and it works well. I had to do a
    little work to get it on my Hobart version of the stand mixer, but it
    performs as advertised and if you store the bowl in the freezer it is
    always ready to make a quick frozen dessert. My Hobart never leaves the
    countertop either, but it's 45# weight has something to do with that.

    Pete C.

  6. Pete C.

    Pete C. Guest

    pgluth1 wrote:

    > Love to hear more on this subject. I am looking for an ice cream maker too
    > but desire one that is as small as possible yet still functional. Moreover,
    > in the war against counter-clutter, I was wondering if anyone had tried the
    > KitchenAid attachment for making ice cream. Although more expensive than
    > many stand alone machines, would be quite advantageous to me (if it worked,
    > that is) since I use my KitchenAid almost every day and it never leaves the
    > counter top.

    I have one of the KitchenAid units and it works well. I had to do a
    little work to get it on my Hobart version of the stand mixer, but it
    performs as advertised and if you store the bowl in the freezer it is
    always ready to make a quick frozen dessert. My Hobart never leaves the
    countertop either, but it's 45# weight has something to do with that.

    Pete C.

  7. alg

    alg Guest

    "Ve La" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Howdy.
    >
    > Somehow, I have convinced myself that it is time to dabble in making
    > homemade ice cream. So, I am shopping around for an ice cream machine.
    > So far, I know that I don't want one of the really old fashioned models
    > that need ice and salt. The most common ones I have seen seem to be made
    > by Cuisinart. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on models of ice
    > cream makers - issues with cleaning? Type of product you get (I'd like
    > one that can make fluffy lemon ice if possible), other considerations?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > I am even fantasizing about the Gelato Chef 2200.
    >
    > Anyone used one before? Or can talk about some place that has reviewed
    > ice cream machines?
    >
    > Thanks all!

    Howdy, yourself!

    You might try epinions at:

    http://www.epinions.com/Ice_Cream_Makers

    I have the Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt unit ($47-$80). I've only tried to make
    low-fat recipes with Splenda and none of the batches I've made have ever
    turned out very well - hard texture and a not-too-pleasing mouth-feel. I
    think it's the ingredients, something about sugar and cream makes it all
    work better. Low-carb ice cream is always extremely hard.

    So I can't comment on the ice cream maker, itself. The freezing bowl takes
    up a lot of room in the freezer, but other than that, the ICE-20 seems to be
    a good ice cream maker.

    http://www.epinions.com/Ice_Cream_Makers--reviews--cuisinart

    The self-refrigerating units cost way too much for me. The KitchenAid 2-qt
    stand mixer attachment ($79-$89) requires pre-freezing as well, and that
    looks like a rather large bowl. I think I'd have to do a bit of
    re-arrangement to get that bowl in my freezer.

    They have an entry for a Nemox Chef 2200 (~$229), but no opinions.
    http://www.epinions.com/Ice_Cream_Makers--reviews--nemox

  8. alg

    alg Guest

    "Ve La" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Howdy.
    >
    > Somehow, I have convinced myself that it is time to dabble in making
    > homemade ice cream. So, I am shopping around for an ice cream machine.
    > So far, I know that I don't want one of the really old fashioned models
    > that need ice and salt. The most common ones I have seen seem to be made
    > by Cuisinart. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on models of ice
    > cream makers - issues with cleaning? Type of product you get (I'd like
    > one that can make fluffy lemon ice if possible), other considerations?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > I am even fantasizing about the Gelato Chef 2200.
    >
    > Anyone used one before? Or can talk about some place that has reviewed
    > ice cream machines?
    >
    > Thanks all!

    Howdy, yourself!

    You might try epinions at:

    http://www.epinions.com/Ice_Cream_Makers

    I have the Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt unit ($47-$80). I've only tried to make
    low-fat recipes with Splenda and none of the batches I've made have ever
    turned out very well - hard texture and a not-too-pleasing mouth-feel. I
    think it's the ingredients, something about sugar and cream makes it all
    work better. Low-carb ice cream is always extremely hard.

    So I can't comment on the ice cream maker, itself. The freezing bowl takes
    up a lot of room in the freezer, but other than that, the ICE-20 seems to be
    a good ice cream maker.

    http://www.epinions.com/Ice_Cream_Makers--reviews--cuisinart

    The self-refrigerating units cost way too much for me. The KitchenAid 2-qt
    stand mixer attachment ($79-$89) requires pre-freezing as well, and that
    looks like a rather large bowl. I think I'd have to do a bit of
    re-arrangement to get that bowl in my freezer.

    They have an entry for a Nemox Chef 2200 (~$229), but no opinions.
    http://www.epinions.com/Ice_Cream_Makers--reviews--nemox

  9. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:53:26 GMT, Ve La <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Howdy.
    >
    >Somehow, I have convinced myself that it is time to dabble in making
    >homemade ice cream. So, I am shopping around for an ice cream machine.
    >So far, I know that I don't want one of the really old fashioned models
    >that need ice and salt. The most common ones I have seen seem to be made
    >by Cuisinart. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on models of ice
    >cream makers - issues with cleaning? Type of product you get (I'd like
    >one that can make fluffy lemon ice if possible), other considerations?
    >Thanks.
    >
    >I am even fantasizing about the Gelato Chef 2200.
    >
    >Anyone used one before? Or can talk about some place that has reviewed
    >ice cream machines?
    >
    >Thanks all!

    are you ready to achieve Nirvana? climb to the mountaintop of ice
    cream making? Is making ice cream what you really want to do?
    Then here it is...
    http://www.taylor-company.com/product/combination.htm

    don't screw around...go for the best of the best...99 out of 100 ice
    cream makers agree...Taylor makes it best!

    Bill

  10. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:53:26 GMT, Ve La <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Howdy.
    >>
    >>Somehow, I have convinced myself that it is time to dabble in making
    >>homemade ice cream. So, I am shopping around for an ice cream machine.
    >>So far, I know that I don't want one of the really old fashioned models
    >>that need ice and salt. The most common ones I have seen seem to be made
    >>by Cuisinart. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on models of ice
    >>cream makers - issues with cleaning? Type of product you get (I'd like
    >>one that can make fluffy lemon ice if possible), other considerations?
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>I am even fantasizing about the Gelato Chef 2200.
    >>
    >>Anyone used one before? Or can talk about some place that has reviewed
    >>ice cream machines?
    >>
    >>Thanks all!

    > are you ready to achieve Nirvana? climb to the mountaintop of ice
    > cream making? Is making ice cream what you really want to do?
    > Then here it is...
    > http://www.taylor-company.com/product/combination.htm
    >
    > don't screw around...go for the best of the best...99 out of 100 ice
    > cream makers agree...Taylor makes it best!
    >
    > Bill
    > ==================

    Wow. That's some machine! Kind of beats the pants of my little 6 qt.
    Revere plastic tub-type. LOL

    --
    Syssi

  11. On Sat 28 Jan 2006 06:05:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bill?

    > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:53:26 GMT, Ve La <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Howdy.
    >>
    >>Somehow, I have convinced myself that it is time to dabble in making
    >>homemade ice cream. So, I am shopping around for an ice cream machine.
    >>So far, I know that I don't want one of the really old fashioned models
    >>that need ice and salt. The most common ones I have seen seem to be made
    >>by Cuisinart. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on models of ice
    >>cream makers - issues with cleaning? Type of product you get (I'd like
    >>one that can make fluffy lemon ice if possible), other considerations?
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>I am even fantasizing about the Gelato Chef 2200.
    >>
    >>Anyone used one before? Or can talk about some place that has reviewed
    >>ice cream machines?
    >>
    >>Thanks all!

    > are you ready to achieve Nirvana? climb to the mountaintop of ice
    > cream making? Is making ice cream what you really want to do?
    > Then here it is...
    > http://www.taylor-company.com/product/combination.htm
    >
    > don't screw around...go for the best of the best...99 out of 100 ice
    > cream makers agree...Taylor makes it best!

    Oh, puleez! If I wanted Dairy Queen, I'd go to Dairy Queen. I have an ice
    cream freezer with a self-contained refrigeration/freezing unit, but it
    makes traditional ice cream, etc., not that soft-serve slop. Mine is one
    of the first generation Il Getaio machines that cost around $300 at the
    time, and has seen at least monthly if not more frequent use since 1976,
    thirty years! Here's a site that sells a variety of similar tabaletop
    machines, some of which are restaurant grade, but all are quite capable of
    home production.

    Here's a pretty good site that is all about ice cream and a bit about
    equipment.

    http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~smann/IceCream/

    This site has plenty of recipes for ice cream and other frozen concoctions.
    The ones I've tried are excellent.

    http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~smann/IceCream/index.html

    This recipe is from Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert book. A
    good basic French vanilla.

    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cups whipping cream
    1 cup milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

    1 Quart

    Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
    Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until
    completely blended, about 1 minute more.

    Pour in the cream, milk, and vanilla and whisk to blend. Transfer the
    mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's
    instructions.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    BIOYA