Ice? Don't talk to me about ice...

Steve Rumsby

Guest
Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and I can't even keep upright on my
own two wheels:-(

This week I finally got fed up of the apparent invisibility you acquire when you only have two
wheels, when somebody pulled out of a side road right in front of me (and I mean right in front of
me - I stopped with inches to spare). I'm beter lit that most cyclists around here too. So, I
decided to go for some "serious" lights. I'm not a heavy duty cyclist - mostly just the 5 mile roud-
trip commute - so I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money. I found a promising looking 5w/10w Sigma
Mirage set on sale (£38 - seems like a bargain), ordered them Tuesday and they were delivered
yesterday.

Last night, I strapped everything on the bike and took it out for a test. The lights are fine.
Everybody should see me coming now (so the theory goes). But, cycling on a local side road on the
way home, my rear wheel caught some ice and decided it had had enough. Before I knew it, the bike
was sliding up the road with me following slightly behind it. No damage to either, fortunately. My
head didn't even come close to the ground, so I can't claim my h*lm*t saved my life:) At least I
didn't break the new lights...

Steve.

Steve Rumsby wrote:
> But, cycling on a local side road on the way home, my rear wheel caught some ice and decided it
> had had enough. Before I knew it, the bike was sliding up the road with me following slightly
> behind it. No damage to either, fortunately.

Bummer. I broke my AirZound this morning when my bike disappeared from underneath me. Fortunately,
since I persuaded my wife that she needed an AirZound on her bike, I've always had a spare ready in
case mine should get broken :)

> My head didn't even come close to the ground, so I can't claim my h*lm*t saved my life:) At least
> I didn't break the new lights...

I landed on my ****. It's the first time I've lost a recumbent on ice. It was a significantly
different (and less painful) experience than doing the same with a wedgie.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

I did a similar thing last week - came a cropper on a patch of ice - right in front of some workmen
who were having a tea break! No real damage done.

Also, on the way home I was passing parked cars when a Merc pulled out in front of me from a side
road. She was turning right so had a clear line of sight - I had 2x 20W blaring on front and a
bright yellow jacket (it was dark - but there were streetlights). She told me (when I caught up at
the next junction) that I was invisible - I said she must be blind! She did apologise though!

Ho hum!

The AirZound was a little flat so only squeaked!!

Dave

news:[email protected]...