ice ice baby

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pete Jones, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > Kleins are great.....if you live in South California.
    | > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/kleinBB_ice.jpg
    | >
    | > Still think that internal downtube routed cables passing under the bottom bracket are a
    | > good idea?
    |
    | It's yer own fault for not riding an SS.
    |

    | Shaun aRe - beat 'im too it!

    ROTFLMNPEAO (non pasty english)

    Simon :eek:)

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > | Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:[email protected]...
    > | > Kleins are great.....if you live in South California.
    > | > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/kleinBB_ice.jpg
    > | >
    > | > Still think that internal downtube routed cables passing under the bottom bracket are a good
    > | > idea?
    > |
    > | It's yer own fault for not riding an SS.
    > |

    > | Shaun aRe - beat 'im too it!
    > |
    > ROTFLMNPEAO (non pasty english)

    Yeay! - Non-pasty Englishfolk unite and fight the patronising stereotyping of the unworthy fat and
    loud US eejits! Down with racism! Down with Xenophobia! Down with stupid foreigners!

    Shaun aRe

  5. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Kleins are great.....if you live in South California.
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/kleinBB_ice.jpg
    >
    > Still think that internal downtube routed cables passing under the bottom bracket are a good idea?

    Back in the late 80's, when I was going to the U of Northern Colorado, I rode my Jamis Dakota
    everywhere, everyday. That bike had everything routed under the BB. Both shift cables would freeze
    up in the same way as the picture of the Klein shows. But that bike also had the classic
    chainstay-mounted U-brake.

    Imagine my surprise when I approached a snowy intersection with the stoplight red and found that my
    back brake was totally seized up? Luckily, the bike had those enormous brake levers with the little
    knobs on the end like a motorcycle. I could really reef down on the lever and pop the cable loose.
    Once it was loose, the sheath of ice would keep it from seizing again. Usually.

    Between those years at UNC and another three in grad school in Ft Collins, I fell after hitting ice
    so many times, my elbows just stayed purple all the time. When I was getting X-rays for the shoulder
    dislocation and elbow laceration I'm currently healing from, the ortho pointed out a flat spot on
    the bone just south of the elbow joint.

    Doc: "Looks like the bone might have been dented there at some point in the past, probably not
    related to this accident. Any idea when that might have happened?"
    Me: "Yeah. Any of about 50 bike wrecks."

    --
    Tom "I've fallen, and I can't get up" Purvis Salida, CO

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:55:21 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Kleins are great.....if you live in South California.
    >http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/kleinBB_ice.jpg
    >
    >Still think that internal downtube routed cables passing under the bottom bracket are a good idea?
    No, but SS is.

    :-]

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:55:21 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Kleins are great.....if you live in South California.
    > >http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/kleinBB_ice.jpg
    > >
    > >Still think that internal downtube routed cables passing under the bottom bracket are a
    > >good idea?

    > No, but SS is.

    "It's yer own fault for not riding an SS.

    Shaun aRe - beat 'im too it!"

    I tried to save you the trouble with that Wheeler, and this is the thanks I get?!?

    Shaun aRe - Harrumph!

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    >> No, but SS is.
    >
    >"It's yer own fault for not riding an SS.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - beat 'im too it!"
    >
    >I tried to save you the trouble with that Wheeler, and this is the thanks I get?!?
    >
    >Shaun aRe - Harrumph!

    D'oh! The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >> No, but SS is.
    > >
    > >"It's yer own fault for not riding an SS.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - beat 'im too it!"
    > >
    > >I tried to save you the trouble with that Wheeler, and this is the thanks
    > >get?!?
    > >
    > >Shaun aRe - Harrumph!
    > >
    > D'oh!

    So, they ordained you yet, or are you still 'lay'? ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    >So, they ordained you yet, or are you still 'lay'? ',;~}
    >

    >Shaun aRe

    ???What??? The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > >So, they ordained you yet, or are you still 'lay'? ',;~}
    > >

    > >Shaun aRe
    >
    > ???What???

    The Right Reverend Wheeler of the Church of the Singlespeed?!

    Mike

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >So, they ordained you yet, or are you still 'lay'? ',;~}
    > >

    > >Shaun aRe
    >
    > ???What???

    'Preacher' ',;~}

    "The lord hath called upon me to stand at every street corner, there to espouse to the iggerunt and
    unhosed masses the virtuousness of riding ONE FUCKING SPEED" etsuckingfetera.

    The Right Irreverend Shaun aRe.

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:03:32 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> >So, they ordained you yet, or are you still 'lay'? ',;~}
    >> >

    >> >Shaun aRe
    >>
    >> ???What???
    >
    >'Preacher' ',;~}
    >
    >"The lord hath called upon me to stand at every street corner, there to espouse to the iggerunt and
    >unhosed masses the virtuousness of riding ONE FUCKING SPEED" etsuckingfetera.
    >
    >The Right Irreverend Shaun aRe.

    Consider me orfusckingdained!

    Son Of A Preacher Man.....Dusty Springfield...I do believe.

    Peace,

    Bill(Go forth and be fruitful on an SS)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
    than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
    the world.
    :-]

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:03:32 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > >> ???What???
    > >
    > >'Preacher' ',;~}
    > >
    > >"The lord hath called upon me to stand at every street corner, there to espouse to the iggerunt
    > >and unhosed masses the virtuousness of riding ONE FUCKING SPEED" etsuckingfetera.
    > >
    > >The Right Irreverend Shaun aRe.
    >
    > Consider me orfusckingdained!

    'K! Heheheheh - My SS (icebike) is currently killing me - being quite light, and some of the hills
    around here being steep, I have to really tug on the bars to crank the pedals. This seems to be
    impacting my lumber region , which has been tight and fecking sore for weeks now. Bastard. I might
    have to go 32/18 instead of 32/16. I didn't wanna do that........

    > Son Of A Preacher Man.....Dusty Springfield...I do believe.
    >
    > Peace,

    Only one who could ever reach me.....

    Shaun aRe

  16. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:14:19 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >'K! Heheheheh - My SS (icebike) is currently killing me - being quite light, and some of the hills
    >around here being steep, I have to really tug on the bars to crank the pedals. This seems to be
    >impacting my lumber region , which has been tight and fecking sore for weeks now. Bastard. I might
    >have to go 32/18 instead of 32/16. I didn't wanna do that........

    Go to a 32/18 until your back gets better. I running that ratio now for the winter mud and ice and
    all that(no physical problems) I'll go back to the 32/16 in the summer.

    >> Son Of A Preacher Man.....Dusty Springfield...I do believe.
    >>
    >> Peace,
    >
    >Only one who could ever reach me.....
    >
    >Shaun aRe

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:ck[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:14:19 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >'K! Heheheheh - My SS (icebike) is currently killing me - being quite
    light,
    > >and some of the hills around here being steep, I have to really tug on
    the
    > >bars to crank the pedals. This seems to be impacting my lumber region , which has been tight and
    > >fecking sore for weeks now. Bastard. I might
    have
    > >to go 32/18 instead of 32/16. I didn't wanna do that........
    >
    > Go to a 32/18 until your back gets better. I running that ratio now for the winter mud and ice and
    > all that(no physical problems) I'll go back to the 32/16 in the summer.

    Yeah - I'm gonna have to - I'm _very_ sore today, and by tomorrow, I'll be crippled. Might just have
    to put the ice tyres on the geary if it doesn't thaw soon.

    Shaun aRe - Never had back trouble before really.

  18. Westie

    Westie Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:14:19 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >'K! Heheheheh - My SS (icebike) is currently killing me - being quite
    light,
    > >and some of the hills around here being steep, I have to really tug on
    the
    > >bars to crank the pedals. This seems to be impacting my lumber region , which has been tight and
    > >fecking sore for weeks now. Bastard. I might
    have
    > >to go 32/18 instead of 32/16. I didn't wanna do that........
    >
    > Go to a 32/18 until your back gets better. I running that ratio now for the winter mud and ice and
    > all that(no physical problems) I'll go back to the 32/16 in the summer.
    <snip>

    > Peace, Bill

    So, let me get this right? You change the gearing on a single speed (on a seasonal basis for
    sure...)... but you change gears all the same, don't you?

    AH HA! BUSTED!

    Westie

  19. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:14:19 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >'K! Heheheheh - My SS (icebike) is currently killing me - being quite
    > light,
    > > >and some of the hills around here being steep, I have to really tug on
    > the
    > > >bars to crank the pedals. This seems to be impacting my lumber region , which has been tight
    > > >and fecking sore for weeks now. Bastard. I might
    > have
    > > >to go 32/18 instead of 32/16. I didn't wanna do that........
    > >
    > > Go to a 32/18 until your back gets better. I running that ratio now for the winter mud and ice
    > > and all that(no physical problems) I'll go back to the 32/16 in the summer.
    > <snip>
    > > >

    > > Peace, Bill
    >
    > So, let me get this right? You change the gearing on a single speed (on a seasonal basis for
    > sure...)... but you change gears all the same, don't you?
    >
    > AH HA! BUSTED!
    >
    > Westie

    Excellent point.

    ROTFLMFAO!