Icing the Cake

Shibumi

Apr 18, 2003
In another thread (Aerobic Conditioning...) I said that I could probably do with some speed work (to put some icing on the cake so as to speak), as I was nearing the end of my season. Ric suggested some 4 minute intervals. For further details, see his article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/trainingstern.shtml

I thought it might be interesting to some if I posted some details, as I progress, as I am expecting some PBs out of this, a sort of 'Let's put Ric to the Test!'. Anyway, here are the details, for comment by anyone interested, or comparison for anyone else wanting to try them, but be warned, they are tough!

Session 1.
Managed 5 reps, with 2 min. recoveries. HR maxing at 154 on rep 1, 171 by rep 5. HR fell to 112 after rep 1, by rep 5, fell to 121 after the 2 mins.

Used the i-magic turbo. Not the most accurate in the world, but consistent. Did a test '10' at 319W, av HR 168. Did the intervals at 335W. Tomorrow I'll rest and I'll repeat the session next week, aiming for 6 reps.

PBs here I come!

You may want to make your recoveries longer to make sure that you are recovered for every effort. Look for quality rather than quantity!

Also make sure that you are rested before the session so that you can get quality efforts done.

Shibumi, what is your max HR? Helps me put your effort into context. Thanks, Kevin

Originally posted by Shibumi
In another thread (Aerobic Conditioning...) I said that I could probably do with some speed work (to put some icing on the cake so as to speak), as I was nearing the end of my season. Ric suggested some 4 minute intervals. For further details, see his article:

I thought it might be interesting to some if I posted some details, as I progress, as I am expecting some PBs out of this, a sort of 'Let's put Ric to the Test!'. Anyway, here are the details, for comment by anyone interested, or comparison for anyone else wanting to try them, but be warned, they are tough!

Session 1.
Managed 5 reps, with 2 min. recoveries. HR maxing at 154 on rep 1, 171 by rep 5. HR fell to 112 after rep 1, by rep 5, fell to 121 after the 2 mins.

Used the i-magic turbo. Not the most accurate in the world, but consistent. Did a test '10' at 319W, av HR 168. Did the intervals at 335W. Tomorrow I'll rest and I'll repeat the session next week, aiming for 6 reps.

PBs here I come!

Originally posted by veloguy
Shibumi, what is your max HR? Helps me put your effort into context. Thanks, Kevin

My max HR is 194, min 39, age 38.

2Lap re: intervals, you are probably right, but I'm just concerned that allowing more rest will just mean that I'll end up being able to do more intervals? Maybe the answer is to add 1min onto the rest, and up the Watts by 5 for the next one.

Now that I know your max HR I can give you my OPINION. I think what you are doing is on the right track. Are you doing these to increase you anaerobic threshold, are you doing these to improve your TTing? If so, I would suggest they be a little longer. Maybe 5-7 minutes. If you are correct and your max is 191 and you are sure your HR is PEAKING at those numbers, not AVERAGING, then the workout shouldn't be as tough as you discribe. If your HR peaks at 154 on the first, that is only 80% of your max. 171 on your 5th one is still only 89% of your max. As far as the 2 minute rest, if you are really only working at less than 90% of max, then either you should be doing a longer "tempo"ride at the same effort or, you can do what is called "cruise intervals" because you are "cruising" at a moderately hard effort. These would be multiple efforts of 5 minutes or so with only 60-90 seconds rest between. Your HR should average in the high 160's. or 87-90% of your max. This is NOT a max effort workout, just very controlled at a specific effort and HR. Let me know if you need any clarification. Kevin

Session 1.

PBs here I come!

My max HR is 194, min 39, age 38.

2Lap re: intervals, you are probably right, but I'm just concerned that allowing more rest will just mean that I'll end up being able to do more intervals? Maybe the answer is to add 1min onto the rest, and up the Watts by 5 for the next one.

After re-reading your post and veloguys, I think you are doing OK as long as you are maintaining the power output on the efforts. The HR are really irrelevant as you are working to power (which is perhaps better!).

In the Aerobic Conditioning thread, we talked a lot about doing 4 mins on and 6 to 10 mins off to build VO2max which is where I have become confused. The session your are following from Ric's article is at TT power hence the short rests and lower than maximal power outputs!

Although veloguy's advice is spot on (you could do longer efforts at this intensity for the same desired effect or have shorter rests), I think you would do well to follow Rics sessions and add an additional effort as you get better. You could cut the rest to 60 to 90 seconds if you feel OK.

The VO2 max sessions which I though you were doing (4 minutes is a classic duration for these sessions) and hence my recomendation to take longer rests; are a different thing all together!

I thought I would provide an update:

Did the sessions the following week, upping the power output by 5-10W and keeping to the same number of reps. Last night I was dragged to the track instead. I tried to perform the same routine, but using 'feel' and my HRM instead. A lot more difficult to do.

I measured my power and HR on a flat 10 mile on the i-magic just before starting these interval sessions. When I can fit it in I'll re-test and see if there is any change.