Icy :(

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony W, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    Went for a lovely ride today. But one particular stretch was black ice hell. Suddenly the back wheel
    left and I was cuddling icy tarmac. No warning, no suspicion that bit was any worse than anywhere
    else -- just Wham!!

    No damage (well slight cut on the knee but nothing to worry about).

    Walked most of the next couple of miles until I got to a more heavily used bit of road -- and then
    took a nice bit of cycle path home.

    Lesson -- however bright & sunny beware of the ice :(

    Still -- an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Went for a lovely ride today. But one particular stretch was black ice hell. Suddenly the back
    > wheel left and I was cuddling icy tarmac. No warning, no suspicion that bit was any worse than
    > anywhere else -- just Wham!!
    >
    > No damage (well slight cut on the knee but nothing to worry about).
    >
    > Walked most of the next couple of miles until I got to a more heavily used bit of road -- and then
    > took a nice bit of cycle path home.
    >
    > Lesson -- however bright & sunny beware of the ice :(
    >
    > Still -- an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

    Glad you're OK Tone. Freezing fog was the problem for me today on the M1, rather than ice.

    Simon

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Glad you're OK Tone. Freezing fog was the problem for me today on the M1, rather than ice.

    In typical fashion I only discovered the two deepest cuts in the shower after I got home. All a bit
    stiff & stinging at the moment but hardly life threatening. I hope tomorrow will also be nice enough
    for a ride -- though I might make it an off road one where black ice is less of a hazard :)

    PS -- you mustn't cycle on the M1. You know it gets the uk.t people wound up :)

  4. Kirby James

    Kirby James Guest

    My sympathies too.

    I was caught out 12 months ago riding along the Thames path into Richmond (West London). The weather
    had been cold for several days previously but on this day the weather was quite warm (8C or so). To
    avoid some walkers I rode through a puddle (which unknown to me had ice on the bottom) - like you I
    was on my side before I knew what had happened. I realised that there was a slight mist over the
    river - and I guess that this had acted as a blanket - keeping the cold in and the sun out.

    Interestingly the walkers just carried on and ignored me (dead cyclists litter London walks).

    Regards

    Kirby

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Went for a lovely ride today. But one particular stretch was black ice hell. Suddenly the back
    > wheel left and I was cuddling icy tarmac. No warning, no suspicion that bit was any worse than
    > anywhere else -- just Wham!!

    I went off-roading as the local trails were well frozen therefore rideable. Off-road was ok, I
    expect problems but on one of the country roads linking tracks I broke one of my own rules and
    changed course on some packed ex-snow/ice. Wham!! Straight off and sliding, then straight back on
    again as I was in sight of a rambler ;-) Luckily in my case minor pain and no lasting injuries,
    sorry to hear you must have got my share Tony. Me :) You :-(

    And in response to Pete Biggs I kept my hand out of the way and landed shoulder/elbow/hip, according
    to the pain map :)

    Other than that a lovely ride curtailed by a loose saddle rail clamp bolt requiring a direct road
    route home, bummer! (Now have suitable sized allen key in saddle pack).

    Pete

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Luckily in my case minor pain and no lasting injuries, sorry to hear you must have got my share
    > Tony. Me :) You :-(

    No problems. Not enough to worry about. Knee looks pretty in its multi colours but works fine (after
    a gentle warm up). Decided not to cycle today but went for a walk instead -- never as much fun :(

    > And in response to Pete Biggs I kept my hand out of the way and landed shoulder/elbow/hip,
    > according to the pain map :)

    Not sure I had any choice on the landing. It was sort of knee/shin, then hands down to break fall,
    then hands skid forward on the ice, elbows then chest hit ice -- head held up (no h*lm*t -- so
    that's why the back wheel left -- would have been safe in a h*lm*t!!).

    Hat and map depart down hill, coming to rest 15 and 40 yards away respectively. Yokel looks over and
    continues mucking about with his van. Bike in gutter with chain off.

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Glad you didn't suffer any serious damage.

    Well thank you kind lady. At first I thought maybe the slab fairy had got me -- but my head was
    still attached to my shoulders so it must have been black ice :)

    How she could tell given the multiple layers is, of course, a mystery.

    :)

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I also kissed the tarmac today, going thru St Leonards nr Chesham in
    Bucks.
    > Went thru deep slushy bit just keeping control, then hit the invisible
    black
    > ice bit - wham.
    >
    > Oh well, you got to gat out & ride in all that sunshine. Bit kna****ed after morning squash
    > though, so only 25 miles.

    No sunshine today, no thaw (as promised by our weatherpeople) and knee now stiff & rainbow coloured.

    No cycling for me today :((((

  10. Tony W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Glad you're OK Tone. Freezing fog was the problem for me today on the
    M1,
    > > rather than ice.
    >

    > In typical fashion I only discovered the two deepest cuts in the shower after I got home. All a
    > bit stiff & stinging at the moment but hardly
    life
    > threatening. I hope tomorrow will also be nice enough for a ride --
    though
    > I might make it an off road one where black ice is less of a hazard :)

    > PS -- you mustn't cycle on the M1. You know it gets the uk.t people wound up :)

    HA HA HA!

  11. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > "Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I also kissed the tarmac today, going thru St Leonards nr Chesham in
    >
    > Bucks.
    >
    >>Went thru deep slushy bit just keeping control, then hit the invisible
    >
    > black
    >
    >>ice bit - wham.
    >>
    >>Oh well, you got to gat out & ride in all that sunshine. Bit kna****ed after morning squash
    >>though, so only 25 miles.
    >

    > No sunshine today, no thaw (as promised by our weatherpeople) and knee now stiff & rainbow
    > coloured.
    >
    > No cycling for me today :((((

    Blimey. Its v sunny here in Ealing. London (but then its always like that :) but still looks bl**dy
    nippy out there with a bit of a rampantly hard frost overnight.

    --

    -Alex

  12. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    Well you are all a lot more philosophical about these spills than me. I've had a couple of close
    encounters with the tarmac over the past two years. Nothing life threatening but I found the bumps,
    bruises and lost skin pretty damned unplesant. Unpleasant enough to invest in a trike for this
    season. Maybe I'm just a wimp.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  13. "Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I also kissed the tarmac today, going thru St Leonards nr Chesham in
    Bucks.
    > Went thru deep slushy bit just keeping control, then hit the invisible
    black
    > ice bit - wham.

    snip

    What concerns me about ice is the chance of coming off and ending up under the wheels of a car -
    though coming off generally doesn't appeal - hence my avoidance of 'techincal' off road routes

    Cliff

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Clifford Griffiths" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > What concerns me about ice is the chance of coming off and ending up under the wheels of a car -
    > though coming off generally doesn't appeal - hence
    my
    > avoidance of 'techincal' off road routes

    Being creamed by a following car is certainly the worst option. Coming off itself is rarely life
    threatening -- though one can be unlucky and suffer a broken collar bone, fractures, cracked
    skull or worse.

    However, on road, roads with traffic tend to be less prone to bad icing -- partly because of the
    movement of traffic and partly due to the greater propensity of local authorities to chuck salt &
    grit about.

    Generally, as usual, you have to cycle defensively. If black ice is suspected get off & walk. That
    was my failure yesterday. I knew it was
    icy. I had walked through some sections before my fall. I missed the tell tale signs and ended up
    kissing the tarmac. My fault. No damage (thankfully). Less on learned -- till next time :(

  15. Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote

    > Blimey. Its v sunny here in Ealing. London (but then its always like that :) but still looks
    > bl**dy nippy out there with a bit of a rampantly hard frost overnight.

    Indeed. Too hard for me to venture out on either Sat or Sunday.

    Sat, because I didn't fancy sliding under a truck, Sun because I got a cold on Sat, and because
    there was still ice everywhere in Southall at noon. So new gortex jck won't get the proper test for
    12 months now.

    Haven't found out what's been happening on Club runs though - anyone been out on the Chilterns'
    roads last w/end? SteveP

  16. Glad you didn't suffer any serious damage.

    Cheers, helen s